Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Conditions on the Western Highway were perilous this morning as there was an oil slick stretching for miles.

It happened between miles 31 and 38 just before the La Democracia Junction and the Jaguar Paw cut-off. The slick seems to have been caused by a leaking oil tanker that turned down the Coastal Highway at the La Democracia cutoff. The tanker was not found - but its trace endured for hours.

We spoke to one driver about the conditions:..

David Andrews, Tour Guide
"My back was turn to the truck that pass by but after then pass then I start to smell the oil. I look around and that's when I saw all the oil on the road and that's when I borrowed a bucket and wash off the oil off the road. I drive on the road a lot and whenever you meet oil especially after it rains you find that the road gets slippery due to the oil on the road."

"As I said it came from towards Jaguar Paw direction to the highway going to Belize City. Definitely it will hamper any activity back there."

Transport officers were posted on the highway to warn drivers to slow down and buckle up. They were no reports of any accident caused by the oil slick.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Eight mile oil spill on George Price Highway

Miles of the newly renamed George Price Highway were covered in oil this morning. A private truck transporting crude oil bought from B.N.E. leaked the black gold on the highway covering a stretch of eight miles. The owner of the vehicle and B.N.E. have been summoned to the Department of the Environment this Friday morning, because from what we gather, B.N.E. is prohibited from selling crude that will be transported on vehicles not properly equipped. The oil and the water on the highway from the rains, is a dangerous combination and motorists are being advised to be careful. News Five's Duane Moody reports.

Duane Moody, Reporting

Eight miles along the Western Highway-from the cutoff to Jaguar Paw at mile thirty-seven to La Democracia at mile twenty-nine-crude oil leaked on to the highway from a tank on a red and white truck just after ten this morning. The pungent smell left behind prompted tour guide, David Andrews, to wash off the oil by the bus stop.

David Andrews, Tour Guide

David Andrews

"My back was turned to the truck weh pass, but after the truck pass, then we start smelling oil and I looked around and that's when we see all the oil pan the road. That's when I borrowed a bucket and wash off the oil off the road because this is where we hang out to catch a ride to go to jaguar paw for work. So the smell was killing me so that is why I borrowed a bucket form the neighbor here to wash off the oil."

Soon after the spill, the Ministry of Transport deployed officers to the area to caution motorists as they drove along the stretch.

Via Phone: Dwight Tillett, C.E.O., Ministry of Transport

"We were informed about the spill about ten-thirty this morning. I believe it was NEMO that informed us. We immediately deployed transport officers out there to station at the both ends of the spill. It apparently started on the main highway at jaguar Paw and ended at the entrance to the Coastal Highway; about eight miles."

Earlier today Chief Executive Officer of the Ministry of Transport, Dwight Tillett, said an investigation was ongoing.

Via Phone: Dwight Tillett

"It appears that a bowzer with some sort of fuel; some people are saying bunker fuel-the ministry of works is checking now to confirm what sort of fuel it was-but it was some sort of heavy fuel that actually spilled. It appears that some valve or something on this truck came open and the driver evidently was probably unaware, but that's what we know about that. We are not sure at this point exactly what kinda fuel it is."

Duane Moody

"Do you know about the truck, who was driving the truck, who it belonged to or where it was transported the heavy oil from?"

"We are still investigating that. We have a name, but I do not want to call any name until we are absolutely certain of the identity of the driver and the owner of the truck. It wouldn't be fair to do that if it turns out that they are not he persons that is actually guilty."

But with the inclement weather and the slick oil on the asphalt, road conditions were not too favorable for vehicular traffic. Tillett says that the fire department has been called in to assist with washing the road, but that extreme caution must be exercised when traversing the highway.

David Andrews

"I drive on the road a lot and whenever you meet oil; like when ih just done rain, you find the roads get slippery due to the oil on the road."

Duane Moody

"With the inclement weather, we know that water and oil they don't mix; it can be disastrous. Tell us about that."

"It certainly can. We are hoping that motorist will take heed. I came through there to Belmopan at about two o'clock and there was a light drizzle all the way and it's been raining intermittently and I'm sure it is going to spread to other parts of the highway even from vehicles running over it. So we are hoping that people will be cautious and slow down especially since it appears it is going to continue to rain."

"As far as I know, the fire department was contacted to assist in washing the road. It's eight miles of washing and complicated with the drizzle, so I'm not sure how that is going and I can't categorically say at this point that that is so because I've just got into my office and I have not been able to cross-check any more information. The word is that we are asking motorist to please exercise extreme caution in both lanes because it is quite possible that now, some of this oil has managed to get over the other side of the road."

Charges can be levied against the person or company responsible for the oil spill. Duane Moody for News Five.

Tillett would like for persons who see things occurring on the highway to report it to the Transport Ministry's hotline at 637-1070 and 637-1075.

Channel 5

N
N
The oil spill on the George Price Highway (formerly the Western) was not caused by BNE nor was it a crude oil spill. BNE crude tankers do not use that route.

No but BNE sold it to someone illegally so they are responsible

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.