Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#447732 09/30/12 12:35 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I know I've read about this somewhere before, but can't seem to find the string now. If I put up a wind turbine, I believe BEL will NOT buy back any excess energy generated. However, can I tie into the grid, or will I have to use batteries.

Thanks in advance for any expertise out there before I begin this part of the adventure!

You will need batteries anyway to store the energy generated by the turbine.

If you hook into the grid you will need a safety transfer switch, so that when the power goes out your turbine isn't sending power down the grid lines and electrocuting BEL workers.

Check with BEL about the excess power buying, the old dial meters would just run backwards when you were pumping excess power into the grid so you would get a discount on your consumption bill is how they used to "buy back" small generating station power.

I don't know if it still works with the new digital meters.

Anyway you will need permits and an electrical engineer if you are going to hook into the grid.

I'm no expert, but know a little from a hobbyist POV.

PM me if you need more info.

Maya House,
Go solar and use wind as a back up only. We do not have enough constant wind to make a turbine worth the expense, especially if you already have BEL. Plus any turbine large enough to generate any kind of wattage will have to be on a 30' pole above the house and tree line to avoid turbulence. They are not silent either. You will need batteries for storage or the power will only be available when it is being actively generated. Storage is always the issue for homes or power plants.
Check with Customs Department about a special duty on solar. When we brought in our turbine and a set of batteries last year, we were told if we had 1 solar panel we could have qualified for a discounted duty on a "solar system".
Our panels, small turbine and 16 dry cell batteries run our entire house. We have no plans to hook up to BEL when they get to our neighborhood.
Good luck!

[Linked Image]

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Coleen - you are so far ahead of the curce you are speeding down hill. Keep up your good work.
And I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
OP Offline
M
Coleen - I'm SO glad I asked, and completely appreciate you taking the time to give such an informed response. I will definitley be looking at copying your model. Would love to be able to meet up sometime in December, if you would be available and wouldn't mine, to dig a little deeper into the specifics before I make the plunge.
Thanks again!!

I would add that wind turbines in close proximity to bird roosts and flyways have been the cause of some bird mortality. Not saying it should preclude their use, just adding that bit of info into the mix when considering their siting.

M
OP Offline
M
I completely agree, Bear!!

R
ron Offline
R
In the 4 years I've had my turbine, I've never seen a dead bird from the spinning blades. Just saying that to add to the mix. Of course my solar panels haven't killed any birds either.

M
OP Offline
M
The only problem with 'seeing' dead birds from turbines, is that they are normally scooped up as food before they're seen by a human.

Here's a great presentation on the Causes for Bird Mortality - http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

Better stop all planes from fly'n too.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.