FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

The September 30th, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Martinez For Drug Trafficking
  • Martinez For Crashing A Government Vehicle
  • Preparing The Nation And People In The Era Of Science and Technology: The Ministry of ESTPU Launches its Strategic Plan 2012 - 2017
  • What Are We Going To Do About Belize’s Foreign Debt?
  • Thirty Days In Prison For Disobeying The Court
  • Gongora Gone For Eight Weeks
  • Everything You Should Know About Pertussis “Whooping Cough”
  • Recognizing AndTreating A Stroke
  • Suspected Whooping Cough In Cayo
  • San Ignacio Community Hospitals Holds Prayer Service
  • U.S Embassy Notice
  • Belize Celebrates Caribbean Wellness Day
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Dr. Love: “My fiance is getting fat”
A fiance is worried that his girlfriend is getting fat - the Doctor thinks he is in BIG trouble.

Editorial: Is Our Education System Missing the Message?
Let's take the lessons on education that Father of the Nation insisted on, and teach our children our history without focusing on the grotesque.

Wolfe’s Woofers: “Obscene Phone Call”
Woofer's friend Jo gets obscene phone calls...follows instructions, but...joke's on her!

Misc Belizean Sources

Benque Art Fiesta pictures
The Benque House of Culture had their Art Fiesta yesterday. They took a lot of great pictures. "Artisans, local entraprenuers showcased and engaged their works at the Art Fiesta, the annual Celebration of HOC in Benque"

Independence Day in Belmopan
Belmopan City Online captured a lot of happy people on Independence Day. September Celebrations are over, have a great October! "On Independence Day we captured some of the wonderful people of Belmopan enjoying the festivities. See if you can find someone you know."

Rotary Wine and Cheese Fundraiser
The Rotary Club of Belmopan is having their annual Wine and Cheese fundraiser at the George Price Centre. They'll be having raffles, sileny auctions, and the wine will be flowing. Proceeds will go towards the Belize Children's Project. Thanks, Rotary!

Blogs

Harvest Moon over the sea
We had a beautiful Harvest Moon last night over the Caribbean Sea. As the moon rose, the eastern sky glowed pink and lavender from the sunset. We could see the moon from inside our condo, but the view was even nicer out on the veranda. The Harvest Moon is the full moon that falls nearest towards the autumnal equinox. According to Wikipedia, the Harvest Moon is also known as the Wine Moon, the Singing Moon, the Blue Corn Moon, and the Elk Call Moon. I had a glass of wine in its honor without even knowing this fact. The photo below is now my laptop backdrop. The boat came zipping by at the perfect moment, and its rosy color complimented the sky. Happy Autumn Equinox!

Top Ten ways to stick to exercise
It has been a while since I have done a tacogirl Top Ten list, I decided Top Ten ways to ways to stick to exercise would be a good one, since I recently got back on the exercise wagon after having fallen off for way to long. I realized after starting aquafit class again that I was still in the danger zone and I needed to put an extra push on for the first while, generate fast results and keep reminding myself the benefits of sticking with it. 1. Start Looking at Exercise Differently. Give yourself more options, find what works for you, and mix it up with some cross training. Chances are if you like what you are doing to stay in shape you will be able to stick with it longer. I am a big aquafit fan and I balance that with walking and bike riding. 2. Think small, exercise does not have to be a full hour at a gym, take a walk, go for a bike ride, add regular stretch breaks into your daily routine. You will find these are some of some of your best and easiest opportunities to stay active on a daily basis. 3. Try something different. Many people feel exercise is a chore, try looking for something new or revisit an old favorite for some fun. Have you ever tried aquafit, body surfing, Chi gong or thought of a night out dancing at the club as exercise? How about switching up your route or exercising at a different time of day? Physical activity doesn’t have to be boring, it is all how you decide to approach it.

Beach Trash Clean-up on a GORGEOUS Saturday Morning Plus A Bit of Fried Chicken
The past few days, Ambergris Caye has seen the most beautiful weather. Intensely blue skies, pretty puffy white clouds with lavender underbellies, a slightly cooling breeze, super HOT sun and at night? A huge full moon. Rainy season? What rainy season? Yesterday also happened to be International Coastal Clean-Up Day organized by the ocean conservation group, Oceana. So at 8am Saturday morning, some volunteers, the San Pedro Sun newspaper and the Leo's Club (Junior Lions) suited up to pick up trash in San Pedro Town. And as pretty as the view was? In the blazing sun, this is hard, hard work. But I am sure you agree, well worth it. We started at Boca Del Rio Park, north of town and just before the bridge. This remains one of my favorite parts of the island. I love the sandy beachfront road, the local fisherman and dive shops, Wayo's Bar and the mangroves along some of the shore line. See some baby mangroves peaking up?

Beef Taco w/ Curry Flour Tortillas
Mmmmm Ok so tacos are more Mexican food than Belizean food, but Part of Belize's draw to people is it's diversity in EVERYTHING. We have many different cultures, foods, traditions, and even holidays that we've embraced. Yes, we celebrate everyone else's holidays too, for example, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, Mexican Independence (as a sign of good relations), and even the 4th of July, U.S Independence in some parts of the country. And while it's not a public and bank holiday we still say "why not?". So today we go Mexican with some Tacos that has a slight twist on it that makes it by far the best tacos in the world. And trust me I've had MANY tacos from many places. Now, i will go out and give credit to Wild Mango's in Ambergris Caye, Belize because without them I would probably have never tried making a Curry Flour Tortilla. This awesome little restaurant on the beach has an amazing burrito that i dream of night and day, and one day i just couldnt take it anymore and decided to mock the curry tortilla. It's not their recipe but i'm pretty damn close lol. remember Im just guessing what all is in this bad boy. So hold on let me show you a picture of the burrito that inspired it all...and yes, I ate all that.

International Sources

Belize government fights to keep telecoms company
The Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) has ordered the Belize government to defer to a date not before December 14 the issue of the declaration of dividends of a telecommunication company in which it has controlling shares. The declaration of dividends was listed on the agenda of the Belize Telemedia Limited annual general meeting scheduled for last Friday. The CCJ, Belizes final appeal court, said it gave the order so as to preserve the status quo in relation to pending litigation before the courts, which arose from legislation enacted by the government to acquire property belonging to the appellants. A five-member CCJ panel headed by President Sir Dennis Byron last week heard an application filed by the former owners of the company. For fear of prejudicing the proceedings currently before the Belize Court of Appeal, the CCJ declined to adjudicate on the application filed by the appellants, Dean Boyce and British Caribbean Bank Limited, the CCJ ruled. Instead, in an effort to preserve the status quo, the CCJ ordered the government to exercise its powers as controlling shareholders of Telemedia to defer to a date not before the 14th day of December, 2012, consideration of the issue of the declaration of dividends, said the ruling.

Belize zoo owner to speak on campus
Boise State will host distinguished speaker Sharon Matola on Tuesday, Oct. 2 in the Student Union Simplot Ballroom, as part of Campus Read. Matola is the subject of the 2012-2013 Boise State Campus Read, “The Last Flight of the Scarlett Macaw: One Woman’s Fight to Save the World’s Most Beautiful Bird.” The book was written by Bruce Barcott and tells the true story of how Matola succeeded in both opening the Belize Zoo and raising awareness about biodiversity in Belize. Barcott will be speaking at Boise State on March 5, 2013. Matola’s speech begins at 7 p.m. and doors open at 6:30 p.m. A book signing will follow the speech at 8 p.m. The event will be free and open to students, faculty and members of the community.

Album Review: Black Birds Dancing Over Me
Fifteen years after his first record and former Juno-nominee Danny Michel still knows how to create a pleasantly unique sound. Danny Michel and the Benque Players released their latest album, Black Birds Dancing Over Me, on Sept. 18. His tenth studio album has a beachy, reggae, folksy feel . If you’re already missing the long, hot days of summer, this album brings back the feeling of lounging in the sun, beverage in-hand. Michel worked with Ivan Duran in Belize, bringing the raw Central-American culture to life on this eight-song mix. The album features members of the Garifuna Collective – a local Belizean group that is quite talented. Though the album is similar to some of his other work, Michel uses diverse instrumentals to keep the sound fresh. Through the album, traditional Garifuna drums, turtle shells, saxophone, cowbells and even donkey jaw-bones are heard. It may seem gross, but donkey jaw-bones are a regularly used instrument in Belizean music. Black Birds Dancing Over Me is authentically Belizean while still appealing to Michel’s Canadian audience. The backup vocals from the Garifuna Collective made this album different from anything heard in North America. “Into the Light,” the fourth track, has a Maroon 5-esque quality about it, but that shouldn’t fool listeners. This song features the most traditional Garifuna instrumentals on the album. “The First Night,” the second-to-last track on the album, sounds like it should be sung around a campfire on the West Coast. The backup vocals make an otherwise low-key song sound like a big, group production. If nothing else, this album will give listeners a greater appreciation for the use of a unique Maya guitar.

Beaches, Birding, Belize (and a bit of Honduras)
My trip report for 10 days of beaches, birding, and Belize. With a 7-day cruise on the horizon, we tacked on 4 extra days of relaxation in Galveston, Texas before boarding the Carnival Magic. My traveling companion, my sweet mother, and I were pumped to go on our 4th cruise. In Galveston, we squeezed in a day of birding between reading and beach walking. Yes, it was rough to dress in something besides a bathing suit. But we managed it for a day. Each morning, God greeted us with lovely sunrises. These are views from the front porch where we stayed for 4 nights. We first drove the area around 8 Mile Road, spotting lots of ibis and White-tailed kites. At Laffite’s Cove, shorebirds entertained us for an hour before we drove to Yacht Basin Road. Despite the lack of water and being nearly high noon, two Clapper Rails appeared, one preening nearby for more than 5 minutes as we studied its barring through our binos. Half way across the bay on the Bolivar Ferry, we spotted a Magnificent Frigatebird overhead. It circled the ferry for the remainder of the ride. Best birds during 4 day stay: The rail, the frigatebird, and 1 Great Black-backed Gull from the beach house deck. It was nice to see Black-bellied Plover still in breeding plumage and the White-tailed Kite took up residence every morning over the large undeveloped acreage next door. There also were some HUGE dragonflies migrating in swarms.

Edited by Marty (11/17/12 03:44 PM)