Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

As you may have known, the Conch Season was closed earlier this year, almost 2 months short of its actual closing date which is June 30th due to the distressing of the conch in the country.

The Queen Conch is easily recognizable by its large pinkish shell, reaching a length of 30 cm and weighing some 2 kg. Its favorite habitats are beds of Turtle grass and of Manatee grass and sand flats at water depths from 1 to 100ft. The Queen Conch mainly feeds on algae, as adults, and plankton as larvae. It may reach some 7 years of age and its main predators include crabs, turtles, sharks, rays and humans.Queen Conch

Today, October 1st is the official opening of the conch season and fishermen have gone out on their early morning journey to fetch these beautiful and tasty conch. So head on over to your favorite restaurant and order that delicious Conch Ceviche or Conch Fritters!!

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Conch Season Begins On Ambergris Caye!

October 1st kicked off a season that I love in Belize – the season of conch. (Pronounced “conk”). These large mollusks, when prepared properly, are delicious, just tender enough and flavorful. And the shells are gorgeous.

Photo by oliverarusuphoto.com, a photographer here on the island.

This particular time of year is something of a double whammy. Not only can you enjoy Conch in all of its delicious forms but it is also lobster season. The two overlap from October 1st to February 15th…the ideal time for seafood lovers to visit Belize.

Don’t mess with my conch.

Here are some of the favorite Belizean preparations:

1. Conch Ceviche: Probably the most popular, almost every restaurant or food stall on the island makes their own ceviche. And though it has some pretty basic ingredients, chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, seasoning, lime and conch, you’d be surprised how different it can taste.

Watch out: When served traditional ceviche, in the little onion cup on the side, you will find slices of the hottest pepper I’ve ever tried and a common condiment here in Belize. The habanero pepper.

Here is the heat scale for reference (note the SIGNIFICANT jump between jalapeno and habanero):

Tread carefully. If you don’t like spice, then just leave it in its little cup. If you have a more daring palate when it comes to heat, try this in very small quantities. Increase from there. They pack quite a punch…for the uninitiated, one you may not forget!

2. Conch Fritters: YUM. Puffy little deep fried nuggets stuffed with chopped conch and vegetables. Sometimes served with a creamy tartar-like sauce, sometimes with a spicy sweet and sour dipping sauce…they are delicious either way. They are often listed as an appetizer on menu but a plate of fritters, to me, is the perfect lunch.

A bit fuzzy but you get the picture

3. Conch Soup. This is definitely my favorite way to eat conch. Almost like a chowder, the soup is made creamy with coconut milk and packed with big hunks of vegetables like cho-cho (chayote), carrots, onion and potato or cassava. If you see this on the daily specials of your favorite local deli, try it. The $10-14bzd ($5-7USD) quart container of soup with a huge side helping of rice easily feeds two.

These are the most popular but if you find that you love it, most restaurants have their own ways to prepare conch…from conch fingers to conch pizza.

Here is a picture of the fishing fleet – the sailors who go out for days at a time from Belize City to gather conch and lobster during the season.

Additional information:

Conch Season: October 1st to June 1st (though it ended almost 2 months early last year due to quotas being filled and to help conserve our conch supply)

Lobster Season: June 15st to February 15th. Another fantastic time to visit is that first open week in June (usually around the 15th to 22nd) when San Pedro celebrates the opening of the season with a HUGE Lobsterfest.

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Let's Get Conched!

The Queen Conch is a seasonal fishery product in Belize and for Belizeans it has long been a source of income - but more importantly it is a tasty delicacy. Conch stretches throughout our history. In the days of the Mayas, as well the present day, the Conch served multiple purposes. The tender meat served as a delectable food source while the beautifully colored smooth inner shell was used for communication, ornaments, jewelry and more. For generations, the conch has been a part of Belizean cuisine and now claims its spot as one of the many iconic tastes of Belize. When in season, conch is the main ingredient in many of my favorite Belizean dishes. I try and make sure that my taste buds are well-treated to the many, many flavors - in fact, I try and enjoy it until I'm CONCHED out. Before the conch gets on your plate, and I am certain you'll agree, a lot of hard work and energy is expended; from diving for the prized conch, to the cleaning and even the actual preparation. But when it is prepared, it is one of the most heavenly tastes. The flesh of the conch is slightly chewy, some say rubbery, but once prepared properly, it is super tender and sweet. This sweet white meat is not fishy at all, although some may be tempted to say that it has a resemblance to clams or calamari.

One of the more popular ways to enjoy the conch on Ambergris Caye is in a divine ceviche. After the conch is properly cleaned, the fresh (raw) product is diced into small cubes. The conch is then steeped in lime juice for it to be cooked by the natural acid present in the lime. Personally, I like to add freshly cut red tomatoes to give it that extra color and taste that I love; diced white onions chopped and yellow-orange habanero peppers give the ceviche a spicy kick. Throw in some finely chopped cilantro, black pepper, seasoned salt and regular salt, then refrigerate the mixture for about half an hour. Once refrigerated and cool then it is ready to be served with crispy-crunchy fried corn chips. This ceviche works well on its own, but add a bottle of the icy cold Belizean pride - the Belikin - some sand, sun and the sea - and you've got yourself a very satisfying afternoon at the beach.

Another popular way that you can order conch on Ambergris Caye is in the form of a fritter. There are several methods used to prepare a fritter and it all depends on how you learnt to make it, whether it was at home using mommy's old time recipe or fancy and gourmet, I enjoy them all.

The fritters are small circular patties made from a batter. The batter, which is a combination of small bites of conch, sweet peppers, onions, celery, flour and the secret seasoning, is deep fried to perfection until it reaches a golden brown color. The crunch tasty fritters can be dipped into a honey mustard homemade sauce, but depending on which establishment you are, there is always their secret special sauce. I, for a special reason, like my fritters served with coconut white rice and fresh stewed red kidney or black beans and a few businesses have spoil me into this. Try it, it's absolutely decadent and delicious!

The third popular way conch is widely consumed in Belize, be it by visitors or locals, is in a conch soup. This creamy soup, laden with chunks of succulent conch meat and vegetables, is a Belizean specialty, one that is also consumed in other parts of the Caribbean. The conch is pounded and flavored with coconut milk, cumin, cilantro, garlic and chili powder. Ground food such as yams or potatoes, as well as okra and carrots are added to the broth. When the soup thickens, it is similar to the flavor of conch chowder but the combined taste of the ground food, the coconut milk and the tender conch, prepared by local experts, is unique only to Belize. The conch soup is so popular in the region that international award-winning musician Andy Palacio first came to the musical spotlight with his song "Conch Soup." Even though his music was subject to a court battle over copy write laws, it remains a common knowledge that Andy P penned the words of the song and combined the sound and rhythm of the music inspired by the flavor of the Belizean cuisine; the conch soup.

Beside the flesh of the conch, the shells are also used in beautiful ornaments and jewelry. Beautiful necklaces and earrings carefully hand-carved always make for a good gift to a friend or loved one. Equally beautiful is the centerpieces for tables, small display bowls and even spoons made from the shell of the queen conch. These shell jewelry or center pieces are always in abundance all over San Pedro Town, especially amongst craft vendors around the Central Park Area.

It doesn't matter in which way the conch is prepared or how the shell is used, the taste as well as the crafty shell products is equally unique to Belize. During the open conch fishing season, which runs from October 1st to July 31st, most restaurants would offer the Belizean delicacy on their menu. If you are looking to experience this delicacy while on Ambergris Caye, be sure to ask for the various ways the conch is prepared and the always able and knowledgeable waiters would be more than happy to assist.

But if you prefer to prepare the conch yourself, like I normally do, you can always venture and walk along the beach, during the early morning or mid afternoon, and choose from the fresh catch as the locals shell the conch along the beach. And if you are not a conch eater, then pick up a piece of jewelry and ornament and cherish the prized Caribbean Queen Conch.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.