Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Town Council Takes First Steps

Our beautiful island of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, is part of the Government of Belize's project to improve solid waste management that will support the goals of environmental protection, natural resource conservation, and protection of public health, safety and welfare. The project consists of an enclosed building that will be constructed for the transfer station which will be located on the west side of the island in the Marina area. All waste will be collected and transported by barges to the Regional Sanitary Landfill located in Mile 24 on the Western Highway.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

I have suggested to the Mayor that a system be put in place whereby individuals and businesses can put out two separate containers; one for garbage and the other for recyclables.

Now that they are preparing to start charging for the garbage pickup I suggest there be credit given to those who separate at the source.

Why should people have to dig through nasty stinking stuff to remove glass and plastic when it can be kept separate to begin with? Instead use those people to do the pickup of recyclables.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriet - read the article. it does state exactly that. smile

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Residents are encouraged to start the sorting of garbage

Residents on Ambergris Caye are being encouraged to begin the sorting of garbage ahead of the implementation of the national Solid Waste Management Project (SWMP) of which Ambergris Caye is a part of. The announcement was made by the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) via a press release last week. The sorting of garbage at this point is aimed to have the residents trained in garbage classification, which will be required when the SWMP comes into full effect.

Speaking to Kenrick Brackett, San Pedro Town Councilor responsible for Waste Management and Sanitation on the island, he said that residents are being asked to sort out garbage into two main groups, biodegradable and non-biodegradable. "We want the residents to classify the garbage and bag them into biodegradable and non-biodegradable. How this will work is that we are asking them to use red ribbons or an old piece of red cloth for non-biodegradable and a green ribbon or old green cloth for the biodegradable garbage," said Brackett. The classification of the garbage into two separate groups said Brackett will "teach residents from now and [will be] practice for when the projects kicks in."

Biodegradable waste is considered anything that will eventually break down and become part of the earth and soil, like food scraps and paper. Non-biodegradable waste will NOT break down (or won't for many, many years). Examples are plastics, metal and glass. Some dangerous chemicals and toxins are also non-biodegradable. Plastic grocery bags, Styrofoam (polystyrene) and other similar materials will eventually break down over (a very long) time.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

This impresses me and makes me very happpy. However, (isn't there always a however?) couldn't they pick-up recyclables on one day and garbage another - or at least in different trucks?

I want to have my caretake build support boxes for two different containers and perhaps have one painted green.

I hope we keep congratulating Danny and the town council for the forward thinking work they are doing.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.