Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
Trying to figure out what the duty and GST would be on things such as TV's, Speakers, amplified speakers such as what you would connect to a PC. I have looked at the website and unless I'm missing it which I could be, I do not see any duties listed for these type of things. Anyone have any experience with these items or have a suggestion on a location where I can get a list?

Thanks in advance

It will all depend on the person you get the day you arrive. There is no list and if there ever was it is never used. And if you argue over their prices it will only go up. if it is new things you are bringing remember to bring your receipts to prove what you paid or they will assess their own value which will be way more than you paid based on belize costs.

Last edited by dabunk; 10/05/12 06:58 AM.
C
C
be polite and use "Ma'am" or "Sir" always when addressing the customs official. Make sure you smile. Your price is almost always contingent on your demeanor and manners.

You are so right - and how you are treating the Belizean cart man. I usually give him his 'tip' just as we approach the customs official as that will be the last he will be helping you. At this point you get turned over to another 'cart man' that will require another 'tip' at your destination. These are small potatoes compared to what the customs people can ding you for.
The nicest response I ever had was when I had purchased the extra big Hershey bar and eaten only about 1/3 of it. I openly handed it to the customs (who just happened to be a woman that day) and said "Here, this will only melt before I get home."
Since it was partially gone I don't see how it could have been construed as a bribe.
The Honey/Vinegar thinking always helps.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
For several years we have used the following rule:

Container Shipped items at 37.5% of the receipt total gets it through customs and to the island.

Luggage Carried items at 22% of the receipt still in the box....

However, we have always been pleasantly surprised to find we have not paid those numbers, simply follow the advice from Harriette....then you'll have extra money to play on....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.