Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#448361 - 10/09/12 01:22 PM Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes
Marty Offline
A man suffered a terrible accidental death this afternoon in San Pedro - and the accident underscores the hazards of filling tanks with gasses.

The San Pedro Sun reports that around 4:45 pm, well known tour guide Hector Chapin Duran was fatally injured when the scuba tank he was filling ruptured - causing a major explosion which punctured his midsection and caused instant death. It happened at the Amigos Del Mar Dock.

The San Pedro Sun has photographs of the ruptured tank - and you can see that an entire section is blown off. It is too early to know what caused the tank to rupture.

His body was removed from the pier after five and brought into the city on an amigos Del Mar vessel just before the news started. Ideally scuba tanks should be regularly checked for integrity of their structure as they grow thin form repeated use.

Channel 7

#448366 - 10/09/12 01:41 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Tragic accident inside tank compression unit leaves 1 man dead

The community of San Pedro is in shock after a well known tour guide died during a very unfortunate accident. Shorty around 4:30PM there was a resounding explosion on Amigos Del Mar dock in San Pedro Town. The explosion claimed the life Hector “Chapin” Duran.

Both San Pedro Police and Fire personnel responded immediately, but there was nothing much that could have been done. According to witnesses, the explosion came from inside a partially enclosed area on the far eastern end of the dock. The explosion was apparently caused after a tank filled with compressed oxygen blew up and fatally injured Duran, who was servicing the air tanks.

Click here to read the rest of the article an more photos in the San Pedro Sun

#448379 - 10/09/12 03:08 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
JZB Offline
How tragic. I can't imagine how his family must be dealing with this sudden loss. My Sympathies to them. frown

#448380 - 10/09/12 03:35 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: JZB]
ragman Online   content
Yes it was tragic, people walk by boilers; air compressors and other pressurised vessels and do not realize the energy stored in them can be deadly.

This type of accident used to be quite common and as a result in most countries procedures and checks were put in place to try to prevent them.

#448381 - 10/09/12 03:43 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
Phil Offline
I was walking past Blue Tang Hotel (1/4 mile away?) when this happened and felt the shockwave. My Dog bolted and my first thought was to look to the sky for smoke to see if one of the Butane Tanks at E&L had gone up. It was that powerful. Look at the thickness of the tank and imagine.

A friend of mine that used to own a Dive Shop and had a compressor here was always concerned about this and once showed me an aftermath video of a similar incidence and the whole building was flattened. So as tragic as this was it could also have been a lot worse on a very busy dock.

#448382 - 10/09/12 03:47 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
champion Offline
This is very sad and I wonder how often the tanks are hydroed in Belize. I too have seen what damage they can cause when they explode. Blew out the back end of a 60's car and flattened a concrete wall next to it.

#448386 - 10/09/12 04:13 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
ragman Online   content
I have seen pressure vessels relocated several hundred feet from an explosion with terrible property damage and injury. For about 8 years I investigated accidents of this sort.

Hydro and internal inspection of the vessel is important but there is more to it than that. The thickness of the metal is determined partly by the material it is manufactured from; by the pressure it was designed to carry and the physical size of the vessel. This is standard in the industry and unless a vessel is homemade, which I have seen, but rarely that part of the equation was probably OK. The first place I would look is at the safety relief valve both on the pressure vessel and the filling station piping which was pictured. Hopefully they did exist.

Now a day we use an ultra-sonic method of measuring the wall and head thickness of these vessels and it is quite accurate but of course you have to be versed in the equipment. With this you can detect corrosion, pitting and thinning of the metal.

Of course everything I stated here is in general terms and as a matter of fact O2, Acetylene, diving and other special use vessels fell under a different set of regulations and regulators than I worked on. Basically though a pressure vessel is a pressure vessel regardless of the gas.

#448389 - 10/09/12 04:42 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
swanno Offline
So sad.
Sympathies to Hector's family and friends

#448394 - 10/09/12 07:37 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: ragman]
SnoopysMom Offline
Wish I had taken a photo of the pickup truck we just passed cruising around with 4-5 loose H cylinder tanks flailing about in the back. I shudder to think about the potential consequences.....

#448398 - 10/09/12 09:00 PM Re: Man Killed When Scuba Tank Explodes [Re: Marty]
Hon Offline
This is horrible! Sincere wishes for peace for all who knew and loved Hector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (samalvey, ScubaLdy), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.