Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#44879 - 10/17/01 04:57 PM first timer
Boilermaker Offline
I'm a first timer traveling to Ambergris for a 2nd Honeymoon. I have researched most of the lodging options available, and would like feedback on the following locations; Victoria's House, Trade Winds Paradise Villas, Banyan Bay, and Journey's End. Which of these four has the nicest beach, restaurant, accomdations etc.. Thanks in advance for your help!

#44880 - 10/17/01 05:06 PM Re: first timer
Mike and Daphne Ryan Offline
Hi Boilermaker

We stayed at Victoria House on our last visit. The accomodations were fine. The restaurant is quite decent, although we often ate other places. You really shouldn't miss going to Capricorn or the Mambo restaurant. And there are many other places very well worth the visit. Didn't use the beach, but it looks fine. Nice pool there, too, and quite pleasant and extensive grounds.

You're a little way south of town, but they provide golf carts. Never had a problem getting the use of one. And the ferry runs quite regularly if you're going up North.

Have a great time.

Mike Ryan

#44881 - 10/17/01 09:08 PM Re: first timer
silly Offline
We really enjoyed our stay at the Victoria House. They have a very nice pool, beach, bar and restaurant. I do advise exploring some of the other places to eat on the island , though. Capricorn restaurant was outstanding. When we go back we will stay at the Victoria House. It is worth the litle extra $.

#44882 - 10/18/01 06:16 AM Re: first timer

For a variety of reasons (too laborious to go into again) my choices would be either Victoria House or Banyan Bay. IMHO Banyan Bay would get the nod only because it is a wee bit closer to to town (reasonable walking distance). They will probably be about the same price, but BB is mostly 2BR units that would have a bit more space and some other useful features (fridge, small kitchen, etc.). It would appear that you are obviously a PU grad and therefore extraordinarily insightful, not to mention thoughtful (i.e. second honeymoon). You must however be cautious with San Pedro, it can be very addicting to Hoosiers.

#44883 - 10/18/01 08:57 AM Re: first timer
Laguna Punta Offline
Guess that explains Hoosier's fasination with Bobby Knight.
Gone fishing!!

#44884 - 10/18/01 09:14 AM Re: first timer
All our ex's are in Texas. Thank God. No more chubby nut cases in red sweaters (I don't own one, thank you).

Boiler: If you're interested, stick in your email addy, and we can get you some more "Hoosier Homegrown" insight on SP. That way we can bore you senseless without bothering those who have comments of real substance.

#44885 - 10/24/01 04:25 AM Re: first timer
Barefoot Skinny Offline
Is that why I'm still here? I'm a Hoosier!
PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"

#44886 - 10/24/01 07:53 AM Re: first timer
Laguna Punta Offline
But ya a sofisticated hoosier, Skinny!
Gone fishing!!

#44887 - 10/24/01 05:57 PM Re: first timer
Ralph Offline
Our family (including 12 year old) went to Journeys End last April. We plan on going back over Easter. Anyway, we went crazy planning and, in the end, we made the right choice in JER. JER was totally rebuilt after Hurrican Keith, so any comments prior to then may not be up to date. Of course, it depends on what you expect or what you are used to. Its far from town. But you can get back and forth by water taxi. If you like to snorkle, JER is much closer to the reef than resorts in San Pedro and south. You can kayak out to the reef very easily..no boat traffic...beautiful reef, fish, etc. We loved our pool side cabana...the grounds, the pool, the staff, the bar, etc. The only thing that wasn't 100% perfect was the food which was average, good, but not fancy. However, they had recently hired a chef from France (true) and they were re-designing the menu. I would recommend getting the meal plan since paying separately would be expensive in my opinion..unless you really want to treck into town and eat at many different places. We plan on going with the meal plan. Staying at a resort in or near San Pedro I would probably restaurant hop. Not practical from JER, but there are a couple of restaurants you can walk to (long walk..not too long..like Capt. Morgans). In summary, its beautiful, looked like a brand new resort. As far as beaches go, it had one..not huge, but sufficient. New beach furniture, etc. Alot of resorts have a sea wall and no beach. The beach isn't a real requirement as we really wanted to go out to the reef.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (DonnyQ), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,234 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.