Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44908 10/18/01 07:29 AM
R
Ross Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Now that I've dealt with the business side of my early November trip to AC (researching real estate), I can now move on to a more pleasurable subject. FISHING!!!

I love to fish and have always wanted to try my fly gear out on saltwater fish. I've fished for striped bass off the coast of New England, but what I really want to try are species such as permit, tarpon, bonefish, etc. I plan on doing a couple of days of fishing while in AC (more if the wife will tolerate it).

Can anyone enlighten me on this most pressing of all issues?

Thanks,
Ross

#44909 10/18/01 07:52 AM
Hi Ross: I don't think your wife would be too disappointed if ya turn her loose on Main Street with plenty of cash. As far as flyfishing for the big three, I could recommend Mr Carlos Marin. He's a great guide, and there are many on the island. The Pescador Hotel has a web site that can be found on Ambergriscaye.com. They specialize in fishing excursions, and will also help find you a good guide, Carlos Marin included. Bring your flys, but don't be surprized if your guide might have a few of his favorites to "lend" you. These guides really want you to have the trip of a lifetime. Good Luck; Bill PS. Don't be surprised when they want over $150US for a full day. That's what the good ones want. The bad guides are in the bars drunk.

Gone fishing!!
#44910 10/18/01 08:36 AM
Ross,

As usual, I agree with what Mr. Thorton has to offer. A great deal of positive input has been placed here regarding Pescador and the "fly fishing thing". I doubt you could wrong with them. I'm sure it is great fun, but just looks too cerebral and frustrating for me. As to the bad guides, they are usually a great source of amusement, and are generally accompanied by equally as bad fishermen, drunk. I've actually seen this. No kiddin'.

#44911 10/18/01 09:01 AM
I guess we know where Choochoo fishes!Gee...Chooch, which bar is yer favorite fishin' hole?

#44912 10/18/01 09:38 AM
O-4-P,

Even in San Pedro I am quite discerning about the surroundings and establishments where I might be seen. After all one must keep up appearances, even whilst on holiday. The specific San Pedro bars that meet those requirements are those which have adult beverages for purchase.

Having thus narrowed it down, if further pressed I would have to admit to a personal fondness for a quaint little bar, just a few steps south of the San Pedro library, owned by a delightful couple, Ms. Woods and Mr. Johnston.

CC

#44913 10/18/01 10:07 AM
W
W
I like your atitude Ross. Did you check out the post below and Marty's links? Bill

#44914 10/18/01 09:43 PM
For anyone that is truly interested in shopping in San Pedro, don't be afraid to get off of main street. There are a bunch of little shops that are fun to poke through. You won't believe what you can find. There's a little dress store over by the airport. And I can't even remember which shop I bought my towel in (big heavy bath towel $20 BZE) but it was certainly not on main street. BTW, as much as I love that towel, a heavy bath towel in SP isn't the smartest. Takes forever to dry.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#44915 10/19/01 03:19 PM
Hey Pirate over Fourty: I understand that CHOOCHOO does some serious fishin at the "Tackle Box". Too bad they took the fish out of the enclosure in the back. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
#44916 10/23/01 07:57 AM
R
Ross Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Everyone,
Looks like I better pay attention a little more to all your responses. Just got back here to see what y'all had to say.

While I was away, I looked into the El Pescador cuz alot of the articles I found (both in fishing mags and on-line) seemed to point everyone in their direction. I even got a guide reservation form. They said their rate is $275/8hr day. (Bill, you said something about $150; could this be true?)

So, I guess I'll run with them unless anyone knows any reason I shouldn't.

Thanks again for the help and humor...
Ross

#44917 10/23/01 08:00 AM
R
Ross Offline OP
OP Offline
R
willyg,
You said there was another post I should look. Which one do you mean?
You also suggested I look at Marty's links. Where do I find that?
Thanks,
Ross

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.