Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#44923 - 10/18/01 06:11 PM Help! AC Rookie
WillC Offline
I'm looking for advice across the board:
Flight: Do we fly to Belize City and take a puddle jumper to AC. If so, where should I find info to set that up.
What is the easiest/least expensive airport in the US to fly from? Any other travel tip would be great.
Accomodations: We're looking for something funky, low-key but nice, and on the beach. Mata Chica, Journey's End looked cool. Not sure what the best places are. We prefer the cabana-style to hotels.
Also, can you give me a sense for built up the island is. In other words, are the beaches fairly secluded, etc?
This island looks unbelievable. Hope I'm down there soon. Thanks for any advice.
Will

[This message has been edited by WillC (edited 10-18-2001).]

#44924 - 10/18/01 06:57 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
jkdiver Offline
Hi Will,

I am going to AC for the first time this Sunday. Going through DFW from San Diego. The cost right now on American Airlines is about $460.00 round trip.

I also asked about how to get to AC from Belize City, the majority of people said to let your hotel make reservations on Tropical Air. So I did.

Sorry, but I can't help with the accomodations part.

Have fun. JoAnn

#44925 - 10/18/01 07:01 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
Richard Chambers Offline
The best places to fly from to Belize city are probably Houston Intercontinental or Dallas/ FortWorth.
No need to make arrangements to the Island once at Belize City International,just walk over to the Maya Air or Tropic desks once inside the terminal!
Mata Chica and Journeys End are some of the more expensive options, closer to SanPedro are places more conservativly priced.
If you like to party i'd stay closer to town!

#44926 - 10/18/01 07:33 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
margarita Offline
If you perform a search for mc & je on this board you will get the whole story of North of the cut, in town, or south of town for accommodations.
Both of those places are too isolated for some of us, and perfect for others. What you like to do will determine this. If you like to walk around to find a variety of fun, food & refreshments the north end is not for you. If you want the isolated privacy of a resort with transportaion into town, then north could be it for you.
If there is a storm the water taxis don't run so you can get stuck wherever you are at.
Belize it!

[This message has been edited by margarita (edited 10-18-2001).]

#44927 - 10/18/01 08:27 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
Kate Offline
Coming from CT, so I suspect from NYC also, the easiest route is on AA through Miami - it cuts several hours off your trip. We prefer this even though it usually costs more. Flying through Texas is out of the way and makes for a very long day, especially for those of us prone to airsickness.

But we've found the least expensive route from the Northeast is through Houston on Continental or Dallas on American.

#44928 - 10/18/01 10:09 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
Gela Offline
WillC, explore this website thoroughly, you'll find great descriptions of all the hotels. You can reserve your puddle jumper flight also - and pay at the counter when you get there. When you find a few hotels you like - do a search on the message board - see what others have said about them. This will help you decide.
As for beaches - don't expect swimming beaches or you'll be disappointed. As far as seclusion - some of the remote resorts will offer you more seclusion. You will however, be far from town and all that that offers.
Good luck! No matter what you arrange - you will have a great time. I'm returning in another couple of months for my second visit to AC this year!

#44929 - 10/18/01 10:28 PM Re: Help! AC Rookie
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
There are only three gateways to Belize from the U.S. (a gateway being a city from which there are non-stop flights) -- DFW, Houston and Miami. There also are only three airlines that fly from the U.S. to Belize -- Continental, American and TACA. My experience has been that there is no one best gateway. Fares change constantly, and on a given date one airline will be trying to increase traffic at one airport and on another date at a different airport.

It takes slightly longer to fly from DFW than Miami or Houston, but the half hour or so additional time isn't significant.

I personally prefer Houston's Intercontinental airport to DFW or Miami -- not so difficult to get around -- but they all have their pluses and minuses.

The same thing goes for "best accommodations." A good guidebook or a careful read of this board will give you a lot of information. It would hard to find two places that are more different than Mata Chica and Journey's End -- about all they share is a North Ambergris location. Neither is funky.

Virtually all the hotels on the island are on the water. The few exceptions are budget or near-budget places. As to cabana type accommodations, if you mean thatch cabanas there are only a few of these on the island -- Mata Chica, Captain Morgan's, Ramon's Village, some units at Victoria House and Exotic Caye, Paradise Hotel and Basil Jones timeshare if it ever opens. Xanadu, sort of. If you mean just cottages, there are a few more -- Cayo Espanto, some units at Journey's End, Capricorn, Portofino when it opens, and there are few more I'm overlooking.

There are a lot of secluded beach areas, especially on North Ambergris. None of the beaches is really crowded.

--Lan Sluder

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.