Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

In a letter sent out to the local community of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, proprietor of Black and White Reggae Bar, Julia Martinez acknowledged the fact that the establishment had obtained a bad reputation on the island, but that she is in the process of transforming it once again into the reputable business it once was. "My place of business got out of control and became a "girl bar" due to me renting it out and more so because of me being so committed to my teaching profession," commented Mr. Martinez. "As a well known citizen of this beautiful Island, which I have served in many ways, I would gladly appreciate the assistance of the tourism board, the hotels, restaurants, golf cart rentals and taxi association by helping in the process of encouraging guests to see and learn of what San Pedro has to offer in a cultural way at our local place of business."

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Black and White Bar - Showcasing Garifuna Culture

As more recent, the Black and White Bar has been synonymous to a (Girl Bar). However, owner and manager, Julia Martinez is in the process of restoring Black and White to the Cultural venue it was envisioned to be during its inception.

Writing of her plans, Julia stated, "I Julia Martinez, the owner and manager of Black & White Bar would like to inform you of my new agenda. In the early years of our family bar it was well known as a Garifuna Cultural Entertainment Bar. Where we portrayed the Garifuna culture to many visitors. My place of business got out of control and became a girl's bar due to renting and more so because of being so committed to my teaching profession. At this point I had made a personal survey and I'm not satisfied with the outcome of a girls bar. For me at this time and age, I strongly believe that bringing the bar back to a Cultural Entertainment place will be more beneficial to my family, my place of business, the community I served and most of all promoting the Belizean Garifuna Culture in a very unique manner to our tourists, visitors and friends. As a well known citizen of this beautiful Island which I have served in many ways. I would gladly appreciate the assistance of the Tourism board, the hotels, restaurants, golf cart rentals and taxi association by helping, in the process of encouraging guests to see and learn of what San Pedro has to offer in a cultural way at our local place of business."

As such, the venue is now offering a Cultural Agenda: " Gather a group of at least ten people and make reservation either by email [email protected] or phone: 605-2895/625-5204 and we will be more than happy to show you the New Black and White.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

WONDERFUL. A bold and honest move. I hope it works for the owners and for the town. Kudos to Julia and family.

Super cool.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Black and White Culture Center - Bringing Garifuna culture to life in San Pedro

San Pedro is known for the sun, sea and endless adventures that may be had just off our shores on the world's second longest Barrier Reef. Our warm, turquoise waters and sandy beaches beckon to our visitors - sit, relax, take a load off and sip on a perfectly blended margarita - or one of Belize's pride: the Belikin beer.

Oh, but there's so much more to do on the island and Black and White Cultural Center is at the forefront bringing the Garifuna Cultural experience to life.

Teacher Julia (as she is affectionately known) takes visitors to the center through the daily life of a Garifuna woman. She enlightens the visitor's experience with audio visuals. Dressed in her traditional Garifuna outfit, Teacher Julia walks visitors through the various aspects of the Garifuna Culture that makes them so unique; all while injecting fun historical facts into her presentation.

Following her presentation of the art of (ereba) cassava bread-making and a show of the outfit used to dance the Jankunu (a dance with an origin formed through mimicking the white slave masters) participants are invited to view a 30 - 45-minute presentation on the Garifuna Culture featuring the late, great, Andy Palacio.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more AWESOME photos in the My Beautiful Belize blog

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.