Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

The latest Tia Chocolate column is ready for reading!!! WAITING... Part I
When the sun hits his face in the morning, it’s coming in from the slats in the window that look out to the small green mountains ringing the house he rests in. The big ball of fire has begun its ascent to the blue heavens; it is ringed in a layer of white where the heat is blistering even the skies with its fervor. It’s going to be a hot one today, again. It’s been hot every day this month, and in his small bed, he has lain listlessly as the hot air pushes and pulsates around him, unable to do much more than bear the heat that each summer has brought, as long as he’s lived.

The October 21st, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Brave Policeman Cracks Crime Ring: The heroic actions of a senior police officer resulted in the onsite apprehension of at least one person, from a team, long suspected of involvement in a string of robberies within the community. It was shortly after 10 o’clock on the night of Friday October 12, 2012, when Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Amin “Sheriff” August was recreating with friends at a bar in his home village of Esperanza when three armed robbers stormed into the bar with intent to pull off a robbery.
  • Trapp Gets Five Years For Burglary: Convicted burglar Harvey Trapp Jr. was today sentenced to five years in jail after he was found guilty of burglarizing the home of Ramon “Monchies” Vargas in March 2012. Six and a half months ago, on March 31, Belizean teacher, Ramon Vargas, 43, reported that his house, located in the Hillview area of Santa Elena Town, was burglarized and that the thief made off with over 11 thousand dollars in electronic items, jewellery and cash. In the report to the police Vargas informed that he secured and left his house at around 6 o’clock that Saturday morning and proceeded to the market in San Ignacio to conduct his trading business
  • People on the Move for Justice: BY: Rolando Cocom Since the recent murders in the Twin Towns, people in the Cayo District have become increasingly vocal about their concerns to reduce, and if possible end, the hideous crimes afflicting our society. I extend my sincerest sympathies to all Belizeans who have had to experience criminal activity, especially to the families who have lost their loved ones, particularly the Martinez and Lowe families. No number of demonstrations, no whipping of criminals, no person hanged, will ever be able to heal the void left in the lives of those who have lost loved ones.
  • REACTION TO GUATEMALAN WHO WAS SHOT, BY Wellington C. Ramos: If it is true that our Government is planning to compensate the family of the Guatemalan citizen who unlawfully entered our country to extract our natural resources, I am totally against such proposition. According to the information that was in the press, not only did he try to come into the country but he was also armed with a weapon to try and shoot one of our BDF soldiers. As a former member of the Belize Police Force and the United States Army, if I was in that soldier's position I would have acted the same way without any reservation or hesitation.
  • Increasing The Nation’s Forensic Capability: Minister John Saldivar’s speech: “I feel extremely privileged to have been afforded this opportunity of addressing this most captive audience - and one capable of influencing positive change in our fight against crime and violence here in Belize; I am encouraged by your presence here this morning; this certainly gives me the assurance that as stakeholders we are all committed to create a safe and secure environment where our citizens and visitors can live in peace with itself. I wish to welcome the Hon. Minister and her team to Belize. My understanding is that the programme of events included a fly over in a helicopter along the Belize/Guatemala border accompanied by the Vice Minister of Guatemala and CEO in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • October 19, 2012 “The Cayo and Benque Viejo” Celebrating 108 Years of Townships:
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Come on government, will business shutdowns and demonstrations call your attention towards crime and violence?
Dear Editor, For the past days, crime and violence has been in the headlines of our local newspapers in Belize and on the target of other regional and international news media. Why can’t it be something positive and outstanding that identify Belize and allows it to be features in the news and media? We are a small nation but in fact we are competing with other developed nations in forming part of the “Black List”. I am not taking any sides against any political party but I do not think that our present government is doing its utmost best to reduce the high crime rate and violence rate in Belize by simply paying those individuals involved in the gang truce. So far this action has proven to be ineffective, our people need more concrete actions other than promises that are not fulfilled so that then our people can sleep without fear and the worry that someone else could be found dead on the street side, without proper punishment of the perpetrator(s). I want to know why our University of Belize (UB) students being the targets of crime in Belize?

Misc Belizean Sources

It is the Belikin Calendar Launch Party!
BELIKIN CALENDAR LAUNCH Come meet the beautiful Belizean women of the 2013 calendar - our best year yet! Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:00 pm Princess Poolside, Belize City Music Provided By: TAGG INTERNATIONAL

Belize Wildlife Referral Clinic Inauguration
More pictures from the BWRC's inauguration. Such a great cause. They have shirts and other items, like water bottles. to raise funds for the project.

Belikin Calendar Shoot Behind the Scenes
Here's one for a rainy Sunday. Olivera Rusu recently shot for the Belikin Beer calendar for 2013. They had a sunny day at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Rosie Syme is the model. Island Films did the video.

Snooty Fox Opening Weekend
The Snooty Fox Grill is open for business! This is their first weekend, and the food is superb. Peggy, Heather, and Robin have got the grill going, so stop on by for some great burgers, salads, kabobs, Philly Cheesesteak, wings, or Peggy's famous Red Eye Special, which is the cure for your hangover. Enjoy!

Learn to Make Belizean Johnnycakes in 1 Minute
Nothing like Fry Fish and Johnnycakes to know that you are a true Belizean. In this video, I show in just about a minute, how to make Johnnycakes or Journeycakes from scratch.

Cemetery Road Floods
Even though the area has been cemented by the Belize City Council, the area of Cemetery Road near the Salvation Army Church still floods when it rains. This video was taken on Sunday, October 21.

Blogs

Saturday in San Pedro: Photos around Town, Tequila & Wildlife at the Barrel Bar
Yesterday, the SAGA fundraising team (Kathy from Pampered Paws, Eileen from D&E's Frozen Custard and me) hit the town to...well...raise some funds. Businesses were INSANELY generous about donating prizes for our raffle and silent auction and ingredients for the food that will be sold at the 9th Annual SAGA Halloween Party (see the flyer at the end of this post). A trip around town is always good for a few pictures. We ran into some very cute little boys that were running around on the beach scaring each other with their Halloween masks. Not so menacing with the masks up. After all that hard work, I met some friends at the Barrel Bar. You get a little bit of everything at this lagoon-side place...iguanas in the mangroves...frigate birds diving for bait fish...

Happy Anniversary Ali and Edith
The backbone of Raggamuffin is the amazing Edith. A year ago to this very day she tied the knot in matrimony with her now husband Ali Cansino of the Fisheries Department. We, meaning the extended Ragga family, were ALL there .. nobody was left out to see the cornerstone of our family on her happiest day of her life! We want to wish her and Ali the a Happy Anniversary from all of us here at Raggamuffin – we know you are enjoying your day in Orange Walk with Ali’s family and we want to wish you blessings for many more years to come!

International Sources

To Snap A Predator: The Patented Tech That Helps Photographers Go Nose-to-Nose With Sharks
No cage, no metal suit, just a camera between me and their teeth." Michael Muller is fascinated with sharks. Ever since he was a kid, surfing in Northern California, he's loved the creatures -- Great Whites, in particular. And Michael Muller, fortunately for us, is also a professional photographer. He has snapped pictures of sharks from all around the world, including the seas of the Galapagos, South Africa, Fiji, and Guadalupe Island. But how do you actually capture the kind of amazing -- and tantalizingly, terrifyingly close-up -- images that Muller has? In a Q&A with the blog Feature Shoot, Muller described the self-developed technology that allows him to conduct photo shoots with some of the most frightening, and beautiful, subjects on the planet. To get pictures like his, you may not need a bigger boat. But you will need a better camera.

McKinney resident's book shows immigrants' struggle for citizenship
Is the American dream simply that - a dream? To Jacintha Griffith, it's a reality. But in her book, "Coveting the Dream," the McKinney resident shows that's not always the case for immigrants. "America's been advertised for many years as the 'Land of Opportunity,' and with that kind of advertisement, everyone will want to come here," said Griffith, who came to the U.S. in 1979 after growing up on Grenada, an island in the Caribbean. "It's inherent in people to always gravitate to where they can have a better life. But unfortunately, when people come to the U.S. with that dream, it's not an easy transition. It's not an easy thing." Griffith, an occupational therapist, released the book in July. It tells the story of Serena, a naïve 20-year-old woman from Belize who sneaks into the U.S. illegally to reunite with her boyfriend, but ends up pursuing her own "dream" in the face of hardship and heartache. It's a fiction tale with non-fiction undertones. "This story has really never been told - how difficult it is for people who come into the U.S. to find their way and to make a life for themselves against all the obstacles to legal residency," Griffith said.

Savannah-Chatham public schools halt plans to sponsor residency for foreign teachers
Tricia Fairweather, a native of Belize with a degree from an American university, had been teaching math in her homeland for six years when she heard about the teacher shortage in Georgia and contacted the Savannah-Chatham school district. She was hired along with the 58 recruited Filipinos. They hold all certifications and training required by the state of Georgia. “I passed their tests and met all of their requirements,” Fairweather said. “I taught math at Beach High School my first three years. They had vacancies every year I was there.” Over the past six years Fairweather and the other foreign teachers were trained to use the district’s multimillion-dollar investment in new technology and schooled in the state’s new Common Core Curriculum. During the Beach High reorganization district officials tapped Fairweather, a skilled math teacher, to prepare students for college-level courses at the highly celebrated Early College specialty program. Many foreign teachers earned tenure and honors for their dedication to the work of educating Savannah students. One of them, Bernardino Cabahug, was the district’s 2012 Teacher of the Year runner up. As they became a part of their schools and communities, many of the foreign teachers joined local churches, purchased homes and even started families.

Cyclist Mitchell wins silver at Caribbean Championships
Bermudian cyclist Nicole Mitchell was pipped at the post for gold in the Caribbean Cycling Championships in Antigua yesterday. Ms Mitchell took silver in the 12 mile time trial, coming in just 2.5 seconds behind winner Shalini Zabaneh of Belize. Ms Mitchell went one better than the bronze she achieved in the 2010 competition. In the men’s competition, Dominique Mayho and Mark Hatherley finished 15th and 20th respectively. Today, all five Bermudian competitors will compete, with Ms Mitchell competing in the 42 mile race, while team captain Geri Mewett, Darren Glassford, Mr Mayho and Mr Hatherley will all take part in the men’s 84 mile race.

Edited by Marty (11/17/12 03:42 PM)