Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Assailants knew him

Also in San Pedro, a tourist was stabbed inside the room he was renting over the weekend. The incident occurred in the wee hours of Saturday morning when three men entered the apartment of thirty year old American Film Director Shawn Patrick Danielly situated on Boca del Rio Drive and were caught stealing. According to San Pedro Police, at about four-twenty a.m. on Saturday, they visited a building situated on the beach side on the northern portion of San Pedro Town in the Boca del Rio Area. They found Danielly on the ground, bleeding from the abdomen area. Investigation reveals that three men entered the lower flat of the building from a window. They were in the process of stealing a laptop, an IPod and a cell phone when they were surprised by Danielly, with whom the group had been socializing in days prior to the incident. According to police, a struggle ensued and one of the young men pulled a knife and stabbed Danielly. The commotion alerted the neighbors who called the police. Danielly was rushed to a private clinic on the island and was later airlifted to the KHMH and admitted in a stable condition. The US citizen has since been discharged from the KHMH and is preparing to leave the country. San Pedro Police have detained the three suspects who were transported to Belize City where an identification parade was conducted this afternoon at the Queen Street Police Station.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

SP police detained three men for weekend stabbing incident

Three male suspects have been detained following the stabbing incident of a tourist that occurred in the wee hours of Saturday October 20th. According to San Pedro Police the incident occurred over the weekend in San Pedro Town on Ambergris Caye inside the apartment that the tourist was renting. The victim has since been identified as 30 year old American Film Director, Shawn Patrick Danielly, a guest at a tourist accommodation situated on the beach at Boca del Rio Drive.

According to San Pedro Police at about 4:20AM on above mentioned date, they arrived on the scene at the beachside establishment where police found a Caucasian male person, later identified as Danielly, on the ground and bleeding from the abdomen area. Police investigations revealed that the male persons entered the building and were in the process of stealing several items when a struggled ensued.

During the struggle, police said that one of the young men pulled out a knife and inflected a single stab wound to the left lower area of the abdomen. Because of the commotion, people living in the area were able to notify police who responded shortly after. Police say Danielly was familiar with his attackers since he had been socializing with them for five days during his stay on the island.

San Pedro Police explained that it appears that one of the men gained entrance to the building through a back window and opened the front door for the other two men. Once inside the three were in the process of stealing several items including a laptop, an IPod and a cell phone when they were caught by Danielly.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Note to all of the potential visitors who read this article - whether in San Pedro, Belize or Podunk, Michigan - don't bring strangers home.
Like it or not the facts are that most local people already have friends, jobs and things that they need to do each day.
Belizeans are friendly, kind, open and sociable people - BUT reputable people simply do not have time to party with tourists - period, full-stop.

Anybody who says come party with us is either angling for a free night on the town or is setting you up for something else.

There is much to do in San Pedro that does not revolve around drinking and hanging out. REALLY - and it's all fabulous. Please come for the "other" San Pedro - the nature, the culture, the kids, the sea - there is nothing but joy and good times waiting for you there.

I am sickened by this. I read this forum every day and it seems every week there is a nother robbery, beating, killings . What has happened to that island.Maybe its about time the Mayor pull out a noose and string up some of the young people who have no respect for life or other people.Then maybe yhey would get the pitcure.It makes me think of selling and going somewhere else.

I understand the sentiment Edwardo but I dont know about public hangings. I do think that encouraging the SPTC to seek assistance in replacing the islands missing magistrate would be a realisticaly good starting point...Some form of more socially acceptable punishement can come after that. When this appears on the dockett I'm going to be interested to see if the case is dropped as a result of the victim's absence from the country.

This is as much a social issue as it is a criminal one but I'm no social engineer, so I couldnt comment on the mindset of the island's young people that lead up to this kind of criminal behavior. Currently however there just doesnt seem to be a sure and swift consequence that is demonstrably real. Without that, well those inclined to such behavior, for whatever reason, see a carte blanche...

R
R
Very unfortunate incident and I hope the men involved are prosecuted.

Diane is correct of course and it has always been my advice to visitors to stay away from the shady bars, shady people and nothing good happens after midnight. It is fine to be friendly. When I see some of our workers or contractors that I am familiar with on occasion I will stop buy them a beer. Maybe have one with them but then it is on my way.

The difference in the life style and income is quite different in the two countries and it is best to act modest in public. The normal tourist who enjoys what the Island has to offer in the day time. Enjoys dinner and a few drinks in a reasonable establishment at night will likely have an incident free visit with a lot of good memories.

Last edited by ragman; 10/23/12 08:55 AM.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
C
C
Diane could not have said it better.

[quote=Edwardo]I am sickened by this. I read this forum every day and it seems every week there is a nother robbery, beating, killings . What has happened to that island.Maybe its about time the Mayor pull out a noose and string up some of the young people who have no respect for life or other people.Then maybe yhey would get the pitcure.It makes me think of selling and going somewhere else. [/quote

Eduardo - We moved here 20 years ago. Shortly after that move we learned of the brutal beating deaths of two expats. They were well liked individuals and people were devastated that this could happen on our island paradise.
The circumstances though --- consistently heavy drinkers, altercation with somebody in a bar who was a druggie - he followed them and hurt them.
If you take a look at the altercations that lead to injury on this island I bet you 10 to 1 that most are late at night and involve intoxication.
This is not about San Pedro as much as it is about alcoholism and drug addiction. I challenge every person reading this to do something positive about social issues like this one.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

If I read correctly this victim is a film maker. Did he have a crew with him or was he a loner? I also remember reading that the police have brought someone onboard to educate the forces on getting good documentation that will hold up in court.
Because there is no magistrate hopefully the testimony can be videotaped under oath and serve to convict these scum bags. It always amazes me about the time of these crimes - around 4:00 in the morning.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
IMHO - Closing the bars - ALL of them - at midnight is the first step to correcting the altercation issue.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.