Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belize Oil Production in Decline by 50%
If it wasn’t for the robust flame from the flaring of gas from the extraction and separation operations at Belize’s first producing oil field a visitor could be excused for thinking at first glance that they were on a college campus. The peaceful almost bucolic rural scene is only occasionally interrupted by heavy equipment, mostly trucks, and workers in overalls. Most of the time it is the clerical and white collar workers dressed more like college students or in exercise clothes who appear in sight. I had thought that with persistent reports of a sharp decline in oil production there would be visible signs of concern if not alarm, here at Belize Natural Energy’s operations headquarters and oil field but there was no such evidence during my visit today. Instead most of the staff who answered freely when questioned said that they did not feel alarm because in their view there was no reason for concern. In an interview Belize Natural Energy’s marketing manager Daniel Gutierez confirmed that production had fallen from 5,000 barrels per day in 2008, by nearly half to just 2,600 barrels per day. Gutierez said that despite having 13 wells operating at Spanish Lookout, and four more at Never Delay, production has been in gradual decline and the company’s executives and technicians did not know when the decline would stop. They were confident, however, that at some point it would stop.

Town Council receives substantial donation from Bay Trust International
After receiving the donation, the Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero expressed words of gratitude to Wilson and Bay Trust International Limited on behalf of the residents of the island and specifically the people of San Mateo. “This money will be used strictly for materials. He has seen how people live in San Mateo and it has touched his heart,” said Mayor Guerrero. Once materials are purchased, the SPTC will contribute labor for the upgrading and opening of new streets in the San Mateo area. San Mateo is considered one of the poorest areas in the entire country and while it has been neglected for a very long time, Heredia said there will be more focus from both local and national governments. “We have never actually completely neglected San Mateo. We have so much resource and we try to use it to the best. At the cabinet level, the issues of San Mateo are brought up constantly… It is our aim that we will be focusing a lot harder in San Mateo in the next few years so that San Mateo can become the most beautiful area in the outskirts of San Pedro Town,” said Heredia. Both Heredia and Guerrero explained that it is their hope to start the electrification and water distribution projects for San Mateo before the end of the year. Already the SPTC has received a commitment from United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) who is expected to be making a visit to the area on October 29th.

Misc Belizean Sources

VIDEO: Lionfish Team Hunt, San Pedro Ambergris Caye
Local Dive with Lionfish Diva Candidate Maria Steurer and team participant Mischa on the Belize Barrier Reef.

VIDEO: Diving with Turtles, Belize Barrier Reef
Dive Site, Boco Del Rio San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Come dive with us!

VIDEO: Awesome Spotted Eagle Ray with Rudy Duran, Island Divers, San Pedro
Local Dive, five minutes from the dock. Come join us on a dive. Island Divers, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

BNYCF Halloween Tournament
The Belize National Youth Chess Foundation had a Halloween Chess tournament yesterday at Hodes.

Hidden Valley Inn Photoshoot
The Hidden Valley Inn was the setting for a photoshoot by Leonardo Melendez Photography. Vanessa Awe did a fantastic job on the make up. Check out how great some of the pictures came out. "A collaboration I did with Vanessa Awe Makeup Artistry at Hidden Valley Inn in San Ignacio Belize. Thank you Jasmine and Sofia our gorgeous models. Special thanks to the staff at Hidden Valley Inn: Raul, Arleni, Oscar and Pamela for being fabulous hosts. And for the people behind the scenes: Efrain, Ovaline, and Mother Teresa, thanks for making this a lot easier than it should have! Enjoy."

Caribbean ICT Roadshow
The Belize Youth Support Network posted pictures from the ICT Roadshow that came to Cayo on its Belizean tour. There was an amazing turnout. Thanks, BYSN! "BYSN would like to thank the Ministry of Energy, Science & Technology and Public Utilities for giving us the opportunity to partner with them and also allowing us to connect with so many young people in Belize. (All photograhs were taken by the official photographer for the roadshow)"

Noche de Cuenta Cuentos
The Benque House of Culture presented Noche de Cuenta Cuentos last night at 7:30. David Ruiz, Elvira Duarte, and other surprise guests told stories on the Benque HoC's lawn. "Noche de Cuenta Cuentos, Tales from Benque Viejo Del Carmen by our very own story tellers, Mr. David Ruiz & Mrs. Elvira Duarte. Join us for this thrilling experience as we share & preserve our folklore and rich heritage."

Halloween Block Party on Burns
Serendib and Mr. Greedy's, along with the SISE town council, did a free Halloween block party downtown on Burns last night. There was a costume contest

Kurse a di Xtabai DVD Launch Party
Kurse a di Xtabai had their DVD launch party last night at Meluchi's. What better place than the Graveyard Lounge?

Caye Caulker’s 1st live breakdance competition!!
And so it was, on an extremely hot and sunny Saturday afternoon – NYC’s B Boy Ultimatum gave Caye Caulker its first breakdance competition! And so, from young to old, local to tourist lined the basketball court on Saturday afternoon to thoroughly enjoy this unique spectacle! More acrobatics.More acrobatics We were treated to two rounds and then a final to have ‘Short Legs’ be the eventual winner – chosen by unanimous decision by the crowd! The guys are no doubt talented and fresh out of Belize City they looked just like we see on the television – real professional!! Blayd Vernon - doing us proud!The eventual winner - Short Legs What made the crowds day was the half time entertainment of gutsy Blayd Vernon (Wendy Auxillou’s son) getting up and showing how the young of Caye Caulker too have their own talent!! Us locals cheered him and he did us all proud!! Thank you B Boy Ultimatum – you are welcome back to Caye Caulker any time!!

Blogs

Not only am I excited about the Rich Culture of the New World Maya, but I am also excited about Belize’s Nature and Wildlife
Imagine waking up in the jungles of Belize on a beautiful 80°F day when sunlight is shortest and darkness is longest to participate in ancient festivities with the Maya to ring in the winter solstice. Here at home, the temperatures will be freezing and there will be chaos and fear from the “potential end of the world”, but in Belize, it is time to celebrate the new calendar year. There will be many life enriching activities to be experienced with the New World Maya that I am eager to participate in including watching ancient slate stone carving, making my own chocolate, learning about medicinal plants and even learning Maya massage techniques! Not only am I excited about the rich culture of the New World Maya, but I am also excited about Belize’s nature and wildlife. There are many unique species of bird to watch, butterflies galore, monkeys in the trees, iguanas running around and amazing sea life swimming along the longest reef in this hemisphere. I have never stayed at Chaa Creek, but the bungalows look amazing and I am thrilled by the idea of canoeing on the Macal River and taking horseback rides through the jungle to ancient Maya temples.

Edited by Marty (11/16/12 05:55 PM)