Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450267 - 11/02/12 12:14 PM BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds
Marty Offline

Bandwidth Breakthrough

A recent survey of the Caribbean showed that Belize's internet rates were the among the highest and its bandwidth among the lowest. Telemedia, the nationally owned phone company has been roundly criticized and condemned for it.

And now, the company is doing something about it: they're doubling the speed again, but halving the price at the same time. The Prime Minister broke the news at his Business Forum this morning. Here's how he explained it:..

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister of Belize
"Now comes what I consider to be a seminal new development; icing on the cake, with whip cream and cherry on top. Yesterday the BTL boards of directors agree that the company will once more give its internet customers increased bandwidth at reduce prices. According the 128k internet speed will go from $49 per month to $25 per month. All other DSL internet speeds will double but for less than the current price. As examples: one megabit which currently cost $300 will now sell for $140 per month, and two megabits sold now for $500 will cost only $240. So that going to back to the one megabit example; the customer currently pays $300 per month but that customer can now go up to two megabits for $240 for less than $300 that he currently pays for one megabit he can go up to two megabits. I really think ladies and gentlemen this is something."

"These reductions will take place later this month so that our people can make their new arrangements and enjoy the reductions on the December bill. I want to make the point that these developments are happening against the backdrop of the 4G roll out which will be fully operational next month - by the end of December. Ladies and gentlemen, how about that for helping the business climate."

As the PM noted, the speed increase and price decrease should go into effect at the end of this month.

Channel 7

#450279 - 11/02/12 01:04 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
EXCELLENT MOVE.

#450289 - 11/02/12 02:27 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
Will Coral Cable match or lose business?

#450354 - 11/03/12 01:14 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: ScubaLdy]
SnowWhite5080 Offline
We went in and spoke to the lady behind the desk yesterday. She told us there was no word yet and to call them in a week or two. I wonder if that is really a week or two or if it's island time? wink

#450355 - 11/03/12 01:14 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
Well, isn't this the best news you have heard this entire year. Belize Telemedia Limited (BTL), Belize's biggest internet provider, will be cutting their internet prices by half.

For 128K internet connection you will be paying a monthly fee of 25$ that is half of what we are currently paying now ($50). The best part is that this applies for all the other speeds.

This is excellent news for all Belizeans, especially the business industry. Finally, I will be able to afford my 1 meg line. So cool! This mean I would have to do some changes on my latest infographic of the Story of the Internet in Belize.

I totally dig this change and must compliment BTL and its administrators for this bold move, that should take effect sometime this month.

This is the official announcement from the PM of Belize, Hon. Dean Barrow:
"Now comes what I consider to be a seminal new development; icing on the cake, with whip cream and cherry on top. Yesterday the BTL boards of directors agree that the company will once more give its internet customers increased bandwidth at reduce prices. According the 128k internet speed will go from $49 per month to $25 per month. All other DSL internet speeds will double but for less than the current price. As examples: one megabit which currently cost $300 will now sell for $140 per month, and two megabits sold now for $500 will cost only $240. So that going to back to the one megabit example; the customer currently pays $300 per month but that customer can now go up to two megabits for $240 for less than $300 that he currently pays for one megabit he can go up to two megabits. I really think ladies and gentlemen this is something."

"These reductions will take place later this month so that our people can make their new arrangements and enjoy the reductions on the December bill. I want to make the point that these developments are happening against the backdrop of the 4G roll out which will be fully operational next month - by the end of December. Ladies and gentlemen, how about that for helping the business climate."

iBelmopan Blog

#450382 - 11/04/12 02:02 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
artisan Offline
I have a cell phone tower modem for my laptop, VERY slow, does anyone know if this will also improve?
Thanks!

#450384 - 11/04/12 02:40 PM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
catdance62 Offline
I heard that Southern cable boosted their internet speeds on the Placencia Peninsula. that is what we use at our house there. Going back at the end of the month for the winter and looking forward to checking it out!

#450396 - 11/05/12 02:58 AM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
To address the Coral Cable question ...... CC buys service from BTL. They then bundle it with cable tv and send it along to you.
They have - say, maybe 10 subscriptions that they repackage and send out to a bunch of subscribers - essentially you're on a "party line" for internet with CC.
CC is simply BTL brought to you a different way, and significantly diluted.

#450402 - 11/05/12 04:30 AM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
Wow - good to know. And is BTL no longer dial up?

#450403 - 11/05/12 07:04 AM Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds [Re: Marty]
Gaz Cooper Offline
Fantastic

BTL has finally come into the year 1999 smile

Its a start but still a long way to go to get to 2012.

Not bitching cos its a big jump for them and being able to get an almost usable service.

Gaz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (ragman), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,003 Topics
462,164 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.