Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
General Sales Tax Department is cracking down on Chinese nationals who refuse to use their programmable cash register and issue receipt to their customers.After a number of complaints from the public, GST made a visit to two Chinese nationals who were charged with failure to utilize a programmable cash register and failure to issue a tax receipt. They are 43-year-old Chinese national, Yue Ling Huang Wong, owner of Julie's Supermarket located in the Belama Phase 2 area of Belize City. The second person is 52-year-old Hong Ging Huang, owner of Seashore Store located at Mile 2 on the Northern Highway. Both Wong and Huang were slapped with one count each of the same offenses but they were arraign separately in court. They both pleaded not guilty to the two charges. Their case was adjourned for December 19 and they were both offered bail in the sum of $1,000 each plus one surety of the same amount which they met by 11:00 this morning. Every retail grocery store should issue a tax receipt and to do so they must utilize a programmable cash register. We understand that both Wong and Huang have these machines present inside their store, but have not used them. GST personnel believe that they refuse to use the machines because it is a way they can cheat the system and not pay GST to government

PLUSTV

B
B
Bail? You get arrested?

P
P
Wow, They can jail alot of store owners in San Pedro... I shop at a few shops both in town and south, The Lebanese never give a receipt , and they have 2 registers. They add it up on a calculator. Then plugs in a very lesser amt in the register. Guess thats how they skim off the GST.
He is NOT alone...

I shop at Public Market and the Jordanians always give me a receipt. There service is also excellent and they carry the dry cereals I love for much less than any of the other markets.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Come on Harriette the Jordanians have not been in San Pedro as long as the Lebanese. HA HA HA.

AND?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I was only on the Island a few weeks and was told by loads of people how to fiddle taxes and cook the books.

Truthfully the taxes charged by GOB (whether GST or Property Tax) seems so small in comparison to most other countries I don't understant why merchants would try to skim, especially GST. The taxes are collected from individuals, it is not like it is out of their own pockets. How do these people think infrastructure and services are provided for the benefit of all the citizens. And judging from the advantages taken by merchants and developers, they don't seem to mind paying a fine after the fact IF they get caught. Perhaps jail time would be more of a deterrant than a fine.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
The chances of getting caught was remote as there was one tax inspector and hundreds of merchants and if you did get caught the inspector was on hand to take money and put it in her pocket. There for there was no fine. GOB then lost money, that is the way it was.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.