Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Coming down in Feb after a year hiatus. I've been watching the message boards for a while and I am concerned about increased crime. Last time I was there, the Hardware store a block away was robbed and the perpetrator never caught despite our own secutity guard spotting him in nearby brush. The grocery store I went to was robbed in broad daylight a few hours prior to our arrival.

I feel safe at home with 24 hour security and a fence but once I leave, I have concerns. I have been coming down frequently for 12 years. I have had a few run-ins with petty thieves but yelling usually deters them. Now they have guns and knives. I was the victim of an attempted mugging several years ago but being aware of my surroundings, I yelled for a friend to call police. The would-be muggers fled. I do, however know exactly what they looked like.

Better yet, I was bicycling when an expat Brit woman blocked my path and accused me of stealing her computer because the rather generic computer bag in my basket looked like hers. The computer was stolen 2 or 3 days prior to my arrival on the island. I actually went to the police station to register my computer's SN so this local? would not accost me again.

So, with every visit, this will be number 24, should I expect less Island hospitality and more Jamaica like "watch everyone, trust no-one, and maybe your should go home".

I'm not sure owning a piece of this particular paradise is worth what I've had to deal with.

Also worth mentioning: Attempted rape by a security guard from a resort a little south of town hired by a security company, not the resort.

My little paradise has been just that for all the friends I bring down after I warn them it is not safe after dark. Or apparently in daylight now.

Come on up north and find the island you were attracted to long ago.
Peaceful, safe, friendly.
Sleep with the windows open, walk along the beach in the moonlight.
We have lived here for 20 years. In 20 years we've had one theft - a boat propeller was taken off my boat about 5 years ago.

Forever I have told anybody who comes to our house to sell things that we keep no money at the house. If I buy, I write a check.
When people come looking for a job - even if I think they "might be" scoping us out, I try to speak respectfully to them, and wish them well in their search. If they say they really need money for food I feed them - we keep cans of vienna sausage on hand, along with bread & cheese and canned beans. I give them a big plate of food and a coke and wish them the best in getting work.

In town there is a greater concentration of people (ergo targets) and unemployed (ergo desperate). Times are TOUGH everywhere. If you can't get a job in this place there is no food-stamp office, there is NOTHING.
Add drugs to the mix and we've got a problem for sure - one we are addressing as a community with great collaboration and dedication right now. We need not just more police - we need more awareness on so many levels. Involvement, awareness, collaboration and generosity are keys to a solution. And the solution is well on its way.
Please, instead of complaining contact the Mayor and ask what you can do to help. We have an incredible Town Board - it's absolutely amazing how they care, work, are dedicated in every way. We've got a problem in town but we also have a remarkable opportunity - join in the wave of positivity and fall in love with San Pedro all over again.

Well said, could not agree more. Ambergris Caye is STILL paradise.....

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Well said Diane smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

yep!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Can I ask who deleted my post here or will this go as well?

I saw the post Inplub not sure why a Mod would delete it as it will be all over the web within hours you cant hide this shit and it is confirmed and hitting facebook already .

terrible news

Gaz

That is where I got it from, thanks for letting me know. We still have property there and hope to come back one day.

Perhaps it is out of respect for the victim's family who may not have been informed yet?
There is a difference between hiding something and having respect for the victim.

Get the facts before you react - please.

Gossip will scare folks who need not be afraid, can stir suspicion of somebody who is innocent and could taint an investigation that we need to have done right.

Anybody with concrete information that can help the police should call Crimestoppers Belize - 0-800-922-8477

It would have been nice for some one to send a PM to me letting me know why they deleted the post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.