As a travel writer, I’m often faced with the quandary of needing to share information about my favorite places in the world, while secretly hoping no one else finds out about them, causing them to become overrun with tourists.

My first time in Belize was long before my travel writing days. I was an ordinary tourist who wound up here with an ex-boyfriend who thought Belize ‘sounded cool’ after inadvertently ending up at BZE on a layover years before. I did minimal research and booked a hotel without much thought. It was reasonably priced and it was on a beach.

Who knew that the trip, and most certainly my choice in hotel, would have led me to where I am today.

From the moment we arrived in Belize, it was sensory overload. Laminated boarding passes, a tiny plane, my eyes glued to the massive barrier reef, and landing at an “airport” that was nothing more than a small office surrounded by dirt roads.

Instantly, I thought, “What have I got myself into?”

Nearly eight years later, I can tell you what I ‘got myself into’ was ultimately a life changing path that fueled an incurable case of wanderlust, led me to my current career, and the ability to now call Ambergris Caye my part-time home...

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today