Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#45141 - 10/28/01 10:32 AM Mainland trips
mark0716 Offline
Debbie and I will be in AC in the 2nd week of February. We plan to spend most of our time diving and walking the island, but we are curious about the cost and quality of trips to the mainland to see ruins, jaguars, waterfalls, etc. Would appreciate info from folks who have been there and done that.
Debbie and Mark
Indiana, US

#45142 - 10/28/01 11:01 AM Re: Mainland trips
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I've written a guidebook entirely devoted to mainland Belize, and also a Fodor's and another Random House guide, and my bias is that the more time you can spend on the mainland the better. Day trips from San Pedro are fine, but at best they only offer a a glimpse at the tip of the iceberg.

The cayes, especially Ambergris and Caulker, are great but in some ways they are not that different from small, less-developed islands elsewhere on the Caribbean Coast or in the main Caribbean.

By contrast, the mainland has many remarkable things to see and do, from the longest cave systems in Central America to incredible Maya ruins (including some where you and the caretaker will be the only people there) to scenic drives through the Maya Mountains to great birding and wildlife spotting to ... well, the list just goes on.

For day trips, I personally think the Lamanai tour offers the most. The Lamanai ruins are remarkable, and you'll see howler monkeys and other wildlife, plus the boat trip up the New River and New River Lagoon is interesting. But it does make for a long day.

Altun Ha is also a good trip.

The Belize Zoo is a must and is really the only place where you will be able to see a jaguar (jaguars are nocturnal and to even have a chance to see one in the wild you'll have to visit areas that are not practical to visit on a day trip).

The cave tubing trips, typically to Jaguar Paw, are also good.

Keep in mind that for the more adventurous types you can do your own trips. Fly or take a ferry to Belize City and then rent a car.

But better still is to spend at least a few days at a jungle lodge in Cayo or elsewhere.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#45143 - 10/28/01 07:13 PM Re: Mainland trips
IslandJunkie Offline
Had a great time on the mainland when I was there. I went with SEArious Adventures, they're terrific. Price is same as pretty much everywhere - I think it was $65-70 to Altun Ha and $125 to Lamanai.

Don't quote me on the prices, but I think I'm in the ballpark. You'll have a blast whatever you decide!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,286 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.