FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

The November 18th, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Grandson Lands Grandma In Police Cell:
    The information from an alert victim of burglary, led San Ignacio Police Crimes Investigation Branch personnel to solving another burglary case in which a gun was stolen as well as the discovery of a little bit of marijuana for bonus. The case against Danny Sagastume, 19, Belizean labourer of a Santiago Juan Layout area in San Ignacio, and a rather frightening incarceration experience for his 67 year old grandmother, began on Tuesday, November 6, when Adolfo Ventura, 47, Guatemalan, taxi driver from the neighbouring Bullet Tree Falls Village reported to San Ignacio Police that his house was burglarized.
  • Major Road Upgrades In The Twin Towns:
    Not to be left behind other municipalities especially Belize City, the twin towns of San Ignacio and Santa Elena are in for major street improvements. The paving of Church Street, Eve Street, Victoria Street and a portion of the Bullet Tree Road all in San Ignacio Town began today. Mayor John August informed that the project, at a cost of over one million dollars will also include the paving of 18th Street and West Street in San Ignacio as well as Eden Drive in Santa Elena. The major upgrading of streets in Santa Elena and San Ignacio, along with the soon to be completed Welcome Centre, is being funded by the Government of Belize via a loan facility with the World Bank under a Municipal Development Project.
  • Marlon Kuylen Heads Football Coaches Education Committee:
    As the effort continues to move football to a higher level in Belize, the Football Federation of Belize (FFB) is embarking on a countrywide training program of coaches. The FFB informs that in order to have beginners trained in line with the Federation's quest to have all coaches certified to participate in tournament organized by the FFB and its affiliates. For this purpose, a Coaches Education Committee was recently formed. The committee is headed by FFB's Executive Member Marlon Kuylen. Assisting Kuylen will be the National “A” team coach Le Roy Sherrier as well the Technical Director/Assistant National “A” team coach Renan Couoh, Goalkeeper coaches Charlie Slusher and Kent Gabourel and Physical Trainer Stanley Humes.
  • Software Pioneer John McAfee Denies Murder In Belize:
    The founder of the anti-virus software firm McAfee has denied murdering one of his neighbours in San Pedro. John McAfee said he did not kill fellow American Gregory Faull, who was found shot dead on Sunday on Ambergris Caye island, just off the coast of Belize, where both men lived. Police say he is a "person of interest" in their inquiries into Mr Faull's murder. Mr McAfee says he is hiding from police out of fear they want to kill him. He was detained earlier this year over the alleged possession of guns and drugs, but was released without charge.
  • What is Garifuna Settlement Day?:
    On November 19th the celebrations commence to mark the arrival of the first Garifuna to Belize in 1832. The festival marks the arrival of the Garifuna people to Dangriga. A mixture of African music and religion with native Carib language and traditions blends into a vibrant, tasty, stimulating experience. Garifuna Settlement Day, is celebrated throughout the country, but especially in Dangriga, the cultural capital of Belize. There is traditional Garifuna and Belizean food, live punta music, games and Jonkunu dancers. In addition they reenact 'The Landing.'
  • Colombian Police Arrests Three For killing 10 Farm workers:
    Colombian security forces have arrested three men they suspect of shooting dead 10 farm workers last week. The killing was one of the deadliest targeted attacks in Colombia in years. Police say the suspects belong to a criminal gang whose leader was arrested last month and who ordered the attack from behind bars. They said the motive could be revenge for his recent capture or a deadly message to businessmen who have refused to pay the gang protection money.
  • UN: Haiti Faces 2013 Food Shortage After Hurricane Sandy:
    The UN in Haiti says 1.5 million people remain at risk of not having proper access to food in 2013 due to the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy and other natural disasters. The situation has been made worse by a drought earlier this year, it says. At least 54 people died as Hurricane Sandy hit the impoverished Caribbean nation two weeks ago. The country is still struggling to recover from a devastating earthquake in January 2010. During the spring and summer of this year, rural households in northern parts of Haiti were badly hit by drought.
  • Jamaica Bans Preaching On Commuter Buses:
    have banned lay preachers from addressing commuters in public buses. Jamaica is a predominantly Christian country, but many passengers have complained about the noise and disturbance. Drivers have been instructed to politely warn religious ministers that they are no longer allowed to evangelise fellow passengers. Preachers say the decision infringes freedom of speech and religion. "I am all for evangelising, but they cannot use the bus as their platform," Hardley Lewin, managing director of the Jamaica Transit Company Limited said.
  • STAR Humor
  • Editorial:
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

British Government Donates Motorcycles for Belmopan Police
A donation of two (2) motorcycles, to be assigned to the Belmopan City Formation of the Belize Police Department, was made this morning to the Ministry of National Security by the British Government through its Embassy in Belize. British High Commissioner Pat Ashworth; British Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Hon. Hugo Swire, Hon. John Saldivar and Commissioner of Police David Henderson. Making the presentation on behalf of the British Government was the visiting Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Latin America, Hon. Hugo Swire, MP, along with the British High Commissioner resident in Belize, H.E. Pat Ashworth. Receiving the donation was Belize’s Minister of National Security, Hon. John Saldivar, accompanied by the Commissioner of Police, David Henderson.

Sergeant Paulino Reyes shoots civilian in western Belize
Sergeant Paulino Reyes is in the spotlight once again for yet another shooting, and this time it involves a civilian. The incident happened in the Valley of Peace Village in the Cayo District. The victim is 53 year old Donatilo Canales. Canalez claimed that he was shot by Reyes twice and remains at The Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH). Canales, from his beside at the KHMH told Channel 5 News on Tuesday November 13th that he was shot by Reyes, who was out of uniform. “Yesterday, I was in my yard. I had just reached from my work and some friends arrived in a vehicle. They said they wanted to have a conversation with me so I came outside. When Mr. Reyes was passing by, I told [waved] him “bye”. He stopped the vehicle and asked me why I was doing bad signals to him. I said ‘no I am not doing any bad signals, I am telling you bye’. He pushed me on my chest and then he took out his gun and shot my right leg. When I dropped on the floor, then he shot my second leg and then he hit me with the gun on this part of my head. He pointed the gun on my forehead twice and he told me he wanted to kill me…He grabbed me from my shirt, dragged me to back pan of the vehicle and then took me to his mother’s house. I was bleeding a lot. I asked him please help me. He told me ‘die’,” said Canales.

PM Barrow discusses regional security with President Calderon of Mexico
Prime Minister Barrow met with President Calderon on Monday at Los Pinos, the official Presidential Residence, in Mexico City to discuss regional security. Also present at the breakfast meeting were President of Costa Rica Laura Chinchilla and Honduran President Porfirio Lobos. A Joint Declaration on strengthening of cooperation against organized transnational crime was presented at the end of the meeting in which the countries “Reaffirm their commitment of their Governments to tackle and combat more effectively and with determination, these scourges, on the basis of the principle of shared and differentiated common responsibility, through international cooperation mechanisms that are complementary to respective national efforts.”

In November…be one with the Garinagu of Belize
Just as the drums are an unmistakable part of the Garinagu, the colorful Garifuna outfits add another rich aspect to the culture. Traditional Garifuna colors are yellow, black, and white: women often wear long dresses sewn from checkered material along with colorful head pieces. Men don their colorful “dashiki”: a long shirt made from similar materials as that of the women’s outfits. The shirts are not buttoned, but they drape elegantly. These colors and outfits shine best when in movement, and the Garinagu can certainly bring the moves! Punta Rock leads the way as the most popular Garifuna music style, especially with its seductive moves and rhythmic beats that can almost hypnotize you into hitting the dance floor. The rhythm of the drums accompanies all sorts of Belizean-made music and that may explain the spontaneous dance moves in the Belizean people whether it be in an office, the kitchen or anywhere once there is a drum to the Belizean beat. Another popular, more traditional, dance is the Jankunu (“John Canoe”). Performed during the Christmas season, the Jankunu dancer wears a mask which resembles an English face topped by a hand-made hat similar to the English naval hats of the 18th century. The dance displays the skills of warrior-slaves while mocking their white British master. The Garifuna music is a creative amalgam of all cultural traditions in Belize.

Misc Belizean Sources

VIDEO: Injustice in Belize
PG TV captured the horrific crime committed by villagers on Sept. 5, 2010. This actual footage is for the friends and family of Cherie and Vince Rose who never got to see what was aired in Punta Gorda, Belize. Our loss was a tragic, violent, and an unnecessary crime. We have been informed that the missing children are safe in Guatemala with their biological father. CrimeStoppers has been contacted to investigate and we pray they will be able to confirm this information. There is a reward for the return of the missing children, and for any information leading to the arrest of the arsonists so that they never harm so many innocent lives again. Aug. 17th, 2012, A declaration is granted that a riotous assembly of persons, as defined in section 2 of the Riot Compensation Act Chapter 338 assembled at the claimants' property situated at Water Hole Road, Forest Home village, Toledo District for the purpose of executing a common purpose with violence and without lawful authority used such violence for that purpose to wit: they intentionally set fire and destroyed three houses, furniture, household utensils and other property owned by the claimants. I will now hear the parties on the issue of compensation. JUDGE OF THE SUPREME COURT Oswell Legall The Defense has appealed on the grounds that Judge Legall erred in his decisions. To date, no arrests have been made; we pray to GOD that justice will prevail! Vince & Cherie Rose Founders of ACES/American Crocodile Education Sanctuary AmericanCrocodileSanctuary.org

Black Orchid Restaurant Thanksgiving Special
We are having a special Thanksgiving Dinner for only $50 Belize and that includes Tax......

VIDEO: Local Diving, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Great Turtle clips, Spotted Eagle Rays and our curious nurse Sharks. Featured Guest Diver, Sara Brown.

Meluchi's 2nd Anniversary Celebration
Happy 2nd birthday, Meluchi's! Tonight they are celebrating 2 years of being the most popular club in Cayo. They are really putting together a wild night. They'll even be celebrating the holiday by having Garifuna drummers.

LOVE FM

Butane Prices Increase
The price of a 100 pound cylinder of liquid petroleum gas or butane imported from Mexico has increased by nine dollars. Effective today the new price in Belize City and Corozal is 118 dollars, 119 dollars in Orange Walk, 120 dollars in Belmopan and San Ignacio, 121 dollars in Benque Viejo del Carmen, 122 dollars in Dangriga and 123 dollars in Punta Gorda. The price for butane imported from Central America remains the same. The Mexican Embassy in Belize has announced that it will be closed for business on Garifuna Settlement Day. A communiqué issued on Friday said that all sections of the Embassy, including the Honorary Consul in Corozal and the Institute of Mexico in Belize City will be closed on Monday on the occasion of Garifuna Settlement Day. Belizeans traveling to Mexico during the holiday are reminded that all the need is a valid passport and a completed Mexican immigration form which is available at any border crossing or at the airport.

British Government Makes Donation to Belize Police Department
The police department has received a donation of two motorcycles from the British Government. According to a government press release, the donation was handed over this morning in Belmopan by the visiting Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Latin America Hugo Swire. The official release says that the motorcycles will be assigned to the Belmopan formation of the police department. Before handing over the motorcycles, Minister Swire and his delegation, which included the British High Commissioner to Belize Pat Ashworth held bilateral talks with Minister of National Security John Saldivar at his office in the nation’s capital. Those talks covered a wide range of issues relating to security and hot the British government can lend further assistance to enhance the work of the police department, the Belize Defence Force and the Belize National Coast Guard. Also present at this morning’ handing over of the donated motorcycles was the Commissioner of Police David Henderson.

IMF Concludes Yearly Review in Belize
An International Monetary Fund (IMF) mission led by Gerardo Peraza wrapped up its yearly review of Belize’s economy in the context of the IMF’s Article four consultations on Thursday. In a statement issued yesterday Peraza reported that Belize is experiencing an output rebound despite the decline in oil production. In 2012, real Gross Domestic Product growth is expected at three point five to four percent, led by a recovery from last year’s effects of weather-related damages in commodity exports as well as a recovery in tourism, and electricity generation. Inflation, which stood at one point five percent in January to August, has been easing as commodity prices pressures abate. The current account deficit is expected to narrow to two point three percent of GDP down from two point five percent of GDP in 2011. This is attributed to higher inflows from tourism, lower repatriation of dividends by foreign companies operating in Belize, and higher remittances, despite a moderate widening of the trade deficit in goods. The report goes on to say preliminary fiscal data suggest that the government’s primary surplus target of two percent of GDP is within reach but will require a close monitoring of spending for the remainder of this fiscal year. In light of ongoing negotiations with bondholders on the restructuring of the “super-bond”, further discussions with the authorities are required to complete this year’s Article IV consultations.

LOVE TV

Municipal Bond to belaunched next week
Belize City Mayor, Darrel Bradley, has come under some heavy criticism lately for the recent discord with Belize Waste Control over non-payment by City Hall to the company for sanitation services. He has also been critiqued for the late release of the much-touted municipal bond. But while the bond is a couple months late, it is still very much in the making. Mayor Darrel Bradley told Love News today that by next week the bond will have materialized. Bradley says that by next week the bond should be released by next week.

Two shootings and a chopping in Belize City
Belize City police are investigating two shootings and a chopping that occurred in separate incidents on Thursday night. Love News spoke with Police Press Officer, Raphael Martinez, first about a chopping and shooting. Castillo was shot in the leg and arm and he and Tillett are in stable conditions at the KHMH. Meanwhile cops are investigating that incident, there was a second incident also in the downtown area where a woman was shot inside her home, as Martinez outlines. Martinez says that the police are seeking four men for questioning.

British government donates to the police department
The police department has received a donation of two motorcycles from the British Government. According to a government press release, the donation was handed over this morning in Belmopan by the visiting Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Latin America Hugo Swire. The official release says that the motorcycles will be assigned to the Belmopan formation of the police department. Before handing over the motorcycles, Minister Swire and his delegation, which included the British High Commissioner to Belize Pat Ashworth held bilateral talks with Minister of National Security John Saldivar at his office in the nation’s capital. Those talks covered a wide range of issues relating to security and hot the British government can lend further assistance to enhance the work of the police department, the Belize Defence Force and the Belize National Coast Guard. Also present at this morning’ handing over of the donated motorcycles was the Commissioner of Police David Henderson.

Mayors meet in Dangriga
Mayors from across the country are meeting in Dangriga. Correspondent Harry Arzu has the story.

Second annual reading carnival to take place in Burrel Boom
The second annual reading carnival is scheduled to take place this weekend in Burrell Boom Village. Love news spoke with the organizer of the event, Literacy Coordinator at the Burrell Boom Methodist School Dawn Flowers.

Toledo Expo takes place this Saturday
The sixth annual Toledo Tourism Expo, TolTex will be held on Saturday in Punta Gorda. Correspondent Paul Mahung reports.

Cultural awareness on display in Belmopan
Culture Day in Belmopan... On Thursday, the students of the University of Belize put their cultural awareness on display in the nation’s capital. Love TV’s Natalie Novelo reports from Belmopan.

Sadie Vernon High celebrates the Garifuna culture
Garifuna Settlement Day celebrations... On Monday, the country will pause to celebrate the arrival of the Garinagu to our shores. All during this week, various educational institutions featured the Garifuna culture as part of their school activities. Today, it was time for Sadie Vernon High in Belize City … and Love TV’s Marion Ali and video journalist Brian Castillo were there to capture it.

Crooked Tree residents up in arms
Protest in Crooked Tree village... The village of Crooked Tree in the Belize district is a quiet and peaceful community. But this morning the residents were not a happy group and they rose up against a member of the community … the Belize Audubon Society. Love TV’s Patrick Jones and video journalist Myles Gillett went to Crooked Tree to bring you this story.

IMF concludes Article IV consultations in Belize
An International Monetary Fund mission led by Gerardo Peraza wrapped up its yearly review of Belize’s economy in the context of the IMF’s Article four consultations on Thursday. In a statement issued yesterday Peraza reported that Belize is experiencing an output rebound despite the decline in oil production. In 2012, real Gross Domestic Product growth is expected at three point five to four percent, led by a recovery from last year’s effects of weather-related damages in commodity exports as well as a recovery in tourism, and electricity generation. Inflation, which stood at one point five percent in January to August, has been easing as commodity prices pressures abate. The current account deficit is expected to narrow to two point three percent of GDP down from two point five percent of GDP in 2011. This is attributed to higher inflows from tourism, lower repatriation of dividends by foreign companies operating in Belize, and higher remittances, despite a moderate widening of the trade deficit in goods. The report goes on to say preliminary fiscal data suggest that the government’s primary surplus target of two percent of GDP is within reach but will require a close monitoring of spending for the remainder of this fiscal year. In light of ongoing negotiations with bondholders on the restructuring of the “super-bond”, further discussions with the authorities are required to complete this year’s Article IV consultations. Talks are expected to resume in the near future. Discussions so far have been focused on fiscal sustainability, external stability, and policies to enhance the financial sector resilience. In parallel with the Article IV consultations, a technical assistance mission assessed the current framework for debt management and helped the authorities build relevant institutional capacity. The IMF team was in Belize from November first to the fifteenth.

Butane prices increase
The price of a 100 pound cylinder of liquid petroleum gas or butane imported from Mexico has increased by ten dollars. Effective tomorrow the new price in Belize City and Corozal is 118 dollars, 119 dollars in Orange Walk, 120 dollars in Belmopan and San Ignacio, 121 dollars in Benque Viejo del Carmen, 122 dollars in Dangriga and 123 dollars in Punta Gorda. The price for butane imported from Central America remains the same.

Mayor says solving the problem of paying sanitation companies is at hand
Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley is facing his first round of public scrutiny over the Municipal Bond, due to be floated at any time now. But at the same time he is also working himself out of the hot seat for not being able to keep the payments for sanitation services up to date. He says that while that may be the case, that problem is soon to be remedied and that it is not unusual for City Hall to fall behind on payments at this time of year. But in addition to that, city residents will, as of next January, have to start paying for the collection of garbage.

Blogs

Garifuna Settlement Weekend Starts On A Gorgeous Day
Garifuna Settlement Day is always November 19th and honors the Garifuna people that landed in Central America 180 years ago. The Garifuna are descendents of the Caribbean Arawaks and Caribs and the people of West Africa. The amazing food, dress, language and especially music permeates life in Belize (particularly in the south). And this whole week has been dedicated to celebrating that culture. Yesterday was a gorgeous day to do it. Looking north towards Ramon's Dock. And Hurricane's Ceviche Bar. The water is very low and perfectly flat. A nice cool breeze blowing from the north. All the school kids were wearing yellow to commemorate the holiday and they paraded through the streets followed by our local drum corp. Did you know that there is a Garifuna flag? Here is a very cool picture taken by Tony Rath in Dangriga (Belize's cultural capital) of the traditional recreation of the Garifuna landing.

Belize Businesses Learning to Respond to Medical Emergencies
The Belize Red Cross is helping the Belize business community lead the way when it comes to medical safety and dealing with potential medical emergencies in their communities. Monday Nov 12, 2012 launched the ongoing Belize Red Cross Medical Safety program in Punta Gorda followed by a second course in San Pedro 2 days later. Bandage international in partnership with the Belize Red Cross, worked hard at training 65 in Belize this week. Between the two districts, the following businesses are now part of the Belize Red Cross Medical Safety program and have now have commercial first aid trained staff: Tropic Air, The Phoenix, Victoria House, Banana Beach, Exotic Caye, Scotia Bank, Ambergris Today, American Crocodile Education Sanctuary, South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood watch, BRC National Intervention team, BRC Regional Intervention Team, Reef CI, Coral House Inn, Blue Reef Adventures, Southern Eco Adventure Dive And Fishing Tours. In a commitment to make their businesses a safer place, they sent a wide range of staff to get certified first aid training including: pilots, ramp guy, front desk , tour coordinator , security, maintenance, housekeeping, dining room, bar, kitchen, branch messenger, property manager, wildlife biologist, reporters, emergency responders, MD, director, dive master. After the San Pedro course, 15 staff from Victoria House, The Phoenix Resort and South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch went for additional training at Victoria House this afternoon. They all got trained in using the Medtronic physio control lifepak defibrillator, Lifepak 500. Bandage International is encouraging all Businesses who join the medical safety program to invest in a defibrillator for their business and have their staff trained how to use it.

Happy Birthday Ellis!!!
Ellis Nicholas, Nate Dawg or whatever you refer to him as, is growing one year older and wiser today! Ellis leads a charmed life – immensely popular with locals and tourists alike he could be labelled CEO of Caye Caulker (Chief Entertainment Officer) – as wherever Ellis is at, the party is!! He has the perfect job … Tour Leader and Captain at Raggamuffin Tours where he gets to swan up and down the reef in our tropical paradise! And furthermore, if that is not enough he regularly visits the US for his R&R!! The man has it all!!! On top of this, tonight is Ellis will be celebrating his new decade in style .. he loves to host a party for his birthday and tonight is no exception!!! If you are very lucky (and I am not too drunk) I might even post a few photos of the evening!!! Happy Birthday Ellis – love from the crew!!!

International Sources

Yes, you, too, can sail on a private yacht in the Caribbean
Yes, you, too, can sail on a private yacht in the Caribbean Renting a private vessel in the Caribbean and cruising through a warm, salty-breezed parallel universe isn't as out of reach as you may think As the old saying goes -- money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull right up alongside it. Sailing the Caribbean. For many, it’s just an item on the bucket list. Something reserved for those privileged few who actually own yachts in the Caribbean, know someone connected in the BVIs or who even have the foggiest idea about how to operate a 46-foot (14-meter) catamaran, right? Think again. Enter the world of Caribbean yacht charters and the keys to a nautical kingdom are tossed to the common among us. Not just yachties and experienced sailors, but landlubbers eager to chalk up an unforgettable, fully crewed, tropical vacation on the open water. “A lot of first-timers are pleasantly surprised by how doable it is -- chartering a yacht and making their dream sailing trip a reality,” says Dennis Dori of Charter Sailing Unlimited, a U.S.-based charter yacht brokerage company with ties to hundreds of vessels for hire all over the Antilles. “And there’s truly no better or easier place in the world to do it than in the Caribbean.” Here are some Chartering 101 basics and pinch-me-I’m-dreaming, charter-friendly destinations that’ll make your next Caribbean trip your best one yet. More on CNN: Insider Guide -- Best of Miami How? Three chartering tips The gist of charter sailing is simpler than tying a bowline. Here are your first three questions, and answers, on the subject: Do I have to know how to sail -- or make dinner when a storm's blowing?

Fugitive! McAfee on run in Belize
The software multimillionaire John McAfee is not your run-of-the-mill international fugitive. Most men who go on the run when the authorities want to question them for murder tend to keep themselves to themselves, but McAfee is different. While nothing has been seen of him since a neighbour on the Caribbean island of Ambergris Caye in Belize was found face down in a pool of blood, plenty has been heard of him. McAfee has kept up a sort of running commentary on his flight from the Belize police, speaking freely – if at times mystifyingly – to reporters from such varied outlets as Wired magazine, the Associated Press, The Daily Telegraph, and the cable news channel CNBC. In his latest bulletins from whereabouts unknown, he insists he didn't shoot Gregory Faull, says he has altered his appearance, changes phones several times a day, and fears that if he surrenders to police they will "summarily execute" him. Furthermore, he says he will not seek refuge in a US embassy. He told CNBC: "What would happen? They will offer me either sanctuary, where I will spend my days living in the embassy like poor Julian Assange, or, when I leave... I will be nabbed by the police. My ultimate goal is they'll figure out who killed the man, it will have nothing to do with me, and they will leave me alone."

In blog McAfee denounces murder accusations
Software company founder John McAfee denies he killed a neighbor in Belize but says he won't turn himself in for questioning because he fears a police anti-gang unit wants to kill him. Belize police have said they want to question McAfee, who they describe as a "person of interest" in the slaying of fellow American Gregory Viant Faull. Faull, 52, was shot to death over the weekend on the Caribbean island where both men lived. McAfee told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Thursday that he is in hiding with a young woman somewhere in Belize. He says he is unarmed and has been changing locations frequently to stay one step ahead of police. In recent days the software company founder has extended himself to various media, and has even launched his own blog, whoismcafee.com, in which he protests his innocence, attacks Belizean government officials and security forces, and slams journalists who have written critical pieces: "With lots of time on my hands and very little to do with it, I've been reflecting on the recent detour my life has taken. How did I end up as a murder suspect on the lam?" Chad Essley, an animator and graphic artist and director of the Portland, Ore.-based Cartoon Monkey, confirmed to CBS News that he set up and hosted the blog for MacAfee, whom he referred to as a friend, but said that McAfee is posting material himself. In his blog posts McAfee affords special attention to journalist Jeff Wise, who has written about McAfee for National Geographic Explorer, Gizmodo and other outlets."Jeff has made a life work out of smearing my character," McAfee blogged, alluding to alleged indiscretions on the writer's part as a possible reason. "The net result of his stories, however, has made my life appear much darker than the mere 'eccentricity' that most people, including myself, ascribe to me."

John McAfee 'In His Compound In Belize'
Millionaire software mogul John McAfee, who is wanted for questioning over the death of his neighbour, claims he has been in his home in Belize all along. Mr McAfee told CNBC he has been hiding in his compound for the last week - not on the run as previously believed. "I am where I am most of the time. I am certainly inside my compound," he said. Police want to question him as a "person of interest" about the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, who was shot last Saturday in the Central American country. Belize Police Department spokesman Raphael Martinez told FoxNews.com the local police were aware of the latest claims from Mr McAfee and were investigating. "That has been passed on to the police in San Pedro," Martinez said. "They are checking it out right now." Police said McAfee has several buildings on his ocean front compound on Ambergris Caye, a stretch of island just off the Belizean shore dotted with resorts. Mr McAfee earlier told Wired he hid out while police combed the property, burying himself in sand with a cardboard box over his head to breathe. He denies killing Mr Faull whose body was found by his housekeeper in a pool of blood with a gunshot wound to the head.

John McAfee Would Rather Not Compete with Drug Gangs/Choke On His Own Vomit in Belize Jail
John McAfee has been pretty chatty for a guy who’s running from the law. The anti-virus software pioneer has been on the lam since the weekend, when he was sought for questioning following the murder of his neighbor Gregory Faull. But running from the Belize police hasn’t stopped Mr. McAfee from talking with the press.There was the telephone call to Wired reporter Joshua Davis, in which Mr. McAfee claimed that he evaded police by burying his head in the sand with a cardboard box over his head; his chat with the editor of the local San Pedro Sun; a televised phone call with ABC News’ Matt Guttman; and our favorite, a message board post seeking advice on how to avoid cellphone triangulation. Now there’s an interview with CNBC’s Street Signs, in which Mr. McAfee makes a couple of pretty sane points for a supposedly paranoid man. On reports that he was manufacturing methamphetamine out of his Belize compound: I would not have the vaguest idea how to make meth or sell meth, especially in a part of the world where I would have to compete with the Mexican Zeta gangs, and it’s not the type of business i would choose, sir.

SLIDESHOW: Garífuna life in Belize
Great photo essay by Lebawit Lily Girma ... currently in Belize writing for Moon Travel Guides. "Despite being declared endangered by the United Nations in 2001, the Garinagu -- one of the smallest cultural groups in Belize -- has managed to sustain its traditions through music, dance, food and worship. The Garifuna people are descendants of Carib Indians (South American natives who settled on the Caribbean island of St Vincent) and West Africans who were said to have escaped from Spanish slave ships in 1635 and made the island their home. Resistant to the arrival of the British to St Vincent in 1763, the Garinagu fought attempts to use their land for sugar cane plantations and many were killed or imprisoned. Those remaining were exiled to Honduras and eventually migrated by dugout canoe along the Central American coast, reaching Belize in 1802. Today, Garinagu communities make up only 4% of Belize’s more than 325,000 people, and most can be found along the country’s southern coast in the towns of Dangriga and Punta Gorda and the villages of Hopkins, Barranco and Seine Bight. (Lebawit Girma)"