Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline
His blog is reporting he has been captured trying to get into Mexico

A
A

April05
A
A
As far as has been stated in the news, he is only wanted for questioning.

Last edited by April05; 12/01/12 04:01 PM. Reason: posting a little to fast,, concerned over subject matter

April05
P
P
A cardboard box sliding across the border might have tipped them off.

After the CNN on the story I figured every old man with gray hair and a cane would be arrested at any BZ boarder. So they may have just arrested some poor old man.

mary
Very good (and long) summary of the McAfee saga in the New York Times today. It quotes and references several local folks of note.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/b...e-and-seek-in-belize.html?pagewanted=all

V
V
The best revenge for the police would be to question him, arrest him for obstruction of justice and then release him on bail on Monday morning.

CNN Exclusive: McAfee comes out of hiding to talk about life on the run

The journey to interview Internet security guru John McAfee began with a secret phrase, a mysterious driver and a circuitous route full of left turns, right turns and U-turns.

It concluded at a safe house on a tropical island paradise, where the 67-year-old was waiting in disguise --as an old man with salt and pepper hair -- to tell his bizarre tale.

"It hasn't been a lot of fun. I miss my prior life. Much of it has been deprivation. No baths, poor food," McAfee told CNN Friday in his first on-camera interview since going on the run from Belize authorities who want to question him in the killing of his neighbor.

Three people have been detained for questioning in the killing, police have said, and investigators are pursuing multiple leads.

Belize authorities say they only want to talk to McAfee about the November 11 shooting death of American businessman Gregory Faull, who was found dead in his home near San Pedro, on the Caribbean island of Ambergris Caye.

The case began to unfold on November 9, when McAfee told police someone poisoned four of his dogs. To put them out of their misery, he shot each in the head and buried them on his property, a former girlfriend said.

Officials say the dogs' barking and aggressive behavior was a frequent source of friction between McAfee and Faull, a 52-year-old contractor who retired to Belize from Florida and lived next door.

Two days later someone shot Faull in the head in his own living room. A 9 mm shell was found on the second step on the first floor, and Faull was found dead on the second floor.

During the interview, McAfee said he did not kill Faull and did not pay anybody to kill the man.

So why not surrender to police for questioning? "I will not," McAfee said, adding his priority is to clear his name.

To hear McAfee, who is not a suspect, tell it: He's a man on the run, afraid for his life, from authorities who he has been at odds with since refusing to pay a bribe to a politician months earlier.

McAfee is so fearful, he says, that he carries up to a dozen disposable cell phones at one time. He estimates he has gone through 200 since he fled more than three weeks ago.

In fact, he only agreed to an interview with CNN after a number of conversations that involved middle men, telephone calls with ever changing numbers and, finally, a cloak and dagger meeting complete with a secret phrase and response.

The phrase: "Sorry I'm late."

The response: "That's OK, we are waiting for our co-worker."

McAfee's near daily "catch me if you can" game is wearing thin with investigators, who are baffled and angered by the allegations.

Recently, he began a blog -- www.whoismcafee.com -- to chronicle his time on the run, the media's portrayal of him and what he describes as harassment by the Belize government.

The longer it all goes on, the more suspicious police become.

McAfee doesn't know how the story will play out. "I don't have a crystal ball. I'm going to fight until something changes," he said.

"I will certainly not turn myself in, and I will certainly not quit fighting. I will not stop my blog."

For the software security pioneer, the end will come only if he's arrested or he gets away from corrupt officials.

"Get away doesn't mean leave the country. It means they will, No. 1, find the murderer of Mr. Faull and, No. 2, the people of this country -- who are by and large terrified to speak out -- start speaking out," he said.

McAfee founded his namesake computer security software in 1987, running it initially out of his home in California. He sold his stake in McAfee Associates in 1994.

A 2009 story in the New York Times indicated his fortune had plunged to $4 million from its $100 million peak, due largely to the real estate and stock market crashes that hit his investments.

McAfee moved to Belize in 2008. And in February 2010, he started QuorumEx, which claims on its website to be trying to "re-invent the way modern medicine combats and disarms pathogenic bacteria."

CNN

C
C
According to ABC news this morning McAfee is not in custody.....

Ha, couple of cartons of butts and a few grand should have been all that was needed smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.