Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
charder Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have never been to Belize before and am planning a trip for mid January. I will be traveling with a friend, we are both mid-twenties and are looking for somewhere fun and close to the beach. I am extremely interested in any package deals that include scuba excursions. Any suggestions for housing, food, packages, etc. is greatly appreciated.

G
G
CHECK OUT GAZ COOPERS "PLAYA BLANCA" RESORT. GAZ IS SUPER HONEST GUY WHO'S RESORT AND DIVE PACKAGES SEEM TO BE 2ND TO NONE.

No question Gaz has a good shop and I hear the resort is lovely. However, these are two young guys that want to be around some fun. Doesn't Gaz also offer packages at other resorts in San Pedro? He used to do.

Amigo's del Mar has packages out of a couple of places, the Mayan Princess being one of them.

I don't know if Barefoot also offers packages. Dawn?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Hey Guys

Thanks for the kind words

Well in this case we look to the fact that these are 2 single guys who are looking for fun and while we have been known to have some fun on occasion ;-)we have to make sure that the guys choose the right place for what they require, as this will reflect on there overall perception of the trip and Belize in general.

Playa Blanca is a beautiful area and the resort is without doubt one of the best up north, we provide our own water taxis into town for our guests for convinience so there is not the negative of guests not being able to go to town when they want to.

However what we provide is a beautiful beach area, a personal dive experience and a peaceful quiet place thats within easy reach of town for those that want to go into San Pedro.

Most of my guests only visit town a few times a week but a couple of young guys will want to be closer to town in my opinion, so they can be out most of the night and close to the bars and clubs etc.

Unfortunately I no longer provide diving services to any person not staying at Playa Blanca the reason is we have a limited nuber of dive spaces and we concentrate 100% on service for our in house guests.

My suggestion is for you to stay at the Sunbreeze or Mayan Princess they are perfectly located and close to everything, as others have said here, Amigo's Del Mar are a good outfit.

Have a great time

Dive Safe

Gaz
Playa Blanca Beach Resort www.divebelize.com

Wow, Gaz. I didn't know that you only took people from your resort now. Does that mean I won't get to dive with your outfit anymore?

I loved diving with Andy and was looking forward to a few with Ched. I hear he's pretty darn good too.

I'm Bloody befuddled... I read way more into this than was there... Good Call Gaz! Total respect!

[This message has been edited by Barefoot Skinny (edited 11-07-2001).]

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
B
B
Thanks Seashell
Charder, we don't have any hotel/dive pckges as of yet. Still working on that. However Hideaway Hotel is a good one for inexpensive lodging. Close to town, own restaraunt and bar, across the street from us for diving and we are working with them on putting pckges together and will definately have something by your arrival time. email us at [email protected] for more information.

Dawn O'Connor www.barefootwatersports.net

C
charder Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all your advice, my next question is that I only have my classroom work done but the person I am traveling with has all the certification. We are more than willing to split up, as he can participate in all the dives, but I would still have to do my open water certification.

First, can I get my open water certification while I am down there, and what would be involved? I would love to do it up here, but seeing as I live in Chicago, no one does the open water certification this late in the year.

Second, is it appropriate for such an inexperienced diver as myself to learn in Belize or should I have already dived a few times?

Third, We don't need to be close to the city center. I don't need to spend my whole vacation hung over, but it would be nice to be able to make it to the city a night or two.

Thanks for all your suggestions!! They are greatly appreciated.

I know that Gaz and Dawn will be able to answer your question regarding certification better than I can. However, you should be able to get a referral from your at-home shop to take your open water in San Pedro.

Though I normally recommend that people get certified at home before going on holiday, in your case that's not workable due to weather. Regardless, I'm confident that San Pedro is good place to take the OW portion, as long as you have the right instructor. (that's the same criteria anywhere).

I must say, when you refer to getting into the city once in a while, that it makes me chuckle. Have you actually looked at the web pictures of San Pedro or read any of the descriptions, whether on the websites or here on the message board?

San Pedro Town is a quaint little place and that's why we all love it so.

You and your buddy will be able to dive together - that means off of the same boat but maybe not buddies.
Amigos Del Mar caters to newbies and you would be in safe hands. It is very popular to take class work in colder climates and do the open water in nice warm clear water.
You will have to do 5 dives. The instructor will take you down, have you do some skills then take you for a dive. These will be fairly shallow (I believe less than 60')
On your 6th dive you will be able to buddy up with your traveling companion.
Just don't be a "hot dogger." Watch your gauges, especially air, and do your 3-minute safety stops.
Diving opens up a world of wonder - enjoy yourself.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.