Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower
Wild Hibiscus
Image Details
Poster SnoopysMom Offline
Posted 12/03/12 08:08 PM
This is the Hibiscus Roselle / aka Wild Hibiscus I have growing on my porch. The flowers can be used for tea and the leaves are edible - tangy and citrus just like the flowers. Because I could not find the plants in Belize, I ordered seeds and planted them for use them in the Absinthe "Red Devil".
The flower is quite small, but as you see the buds are large.... and the color and taste is amazing!
Dimensions 900x1200
Size 807.44 KB

#452659 - 12/03/12 08:15 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
ScubaLdy Offline
Very interesting. Thanks for the picture. Are you growing this here? If it goes to seed can I have a few? I'll trade you something.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#452660 - 12/03/12 08:17 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: ScubaLdy]
SnoopysMom Offline
Yes, I had to import the seeds. Each bud has 8-10 seeds - I will drop some off to you....

#452725 - 12/04/12 02:55 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
seashell Offline
How do you two ensure that you aren't causing any harm by bringing in non indigenous plants?
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#452727 - 12/04/12 04:14 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
Wizardofaahs Offline
Typically the harm is how it is brought in. The Department of Agriculture allows bare root and seeds, no soil of any kind. World food supplies have been enhanced for centuries by bringing in non indigenous seeds.
Words have power. Speak it into existence.

#452730 - 12/04/12 05:21 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
SimonB Offline
Environments have been screwed up royally as well (see Kudzu).

#452742 - 12/04/12 09:24 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
seashell Offline
As I understand it, dandelions were not an indigenous plant/weed in Canada, either. While they are no where near as disastrous as kudzu, still very very annoying. And then there's the nasty purple loosestrife and Eurasian milfoil. Also, apparently clematis is becoming quite a problem. None of these have anything to do with the soil they grow in and whether or not soil has been brought with the seeds or roots/tubors.

Clover, thistles, pansies, violets . . . etc. etc. My yard and lawn are full of these things, and I didn't plant any of them. I treat the lawn regularly from spring to fall, and still, the thistles, clover & violets grow.

#452824 - 12/05/12 04:09 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
iluvbelize Offline
There are hibiscus plants growing all over the island. The red dinner plate sized flowers are beautiful and do make great tea. I love the delicate coloring of your wild hibiscus Snoopysmom.

#452846 - 12/05/12 09:11 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: iluvbelize]
SnoopysMom Offline
Thank you iluvbelize!

And just to clear a few things up for the naysayers (golly gee!), this hibiscus variety is "Hibiscus sabdariffa, Hibiscus Roselle, also referred to as Sorrel" (perhaps you have tried the tea?) and is native to Central America.

Since I could not find a reliable source for the buds or the seeds here on the Island, the solution was to import the seeds (with Custom's blessing, BTW).

Wanna learn more about this plant? "GOOGLE IT" smile

#452849 - 12/05/12 09:30 PM Re: Hibiscus Roselle / WIld Hibiscus Flower [Re: SnoopysMom]
clover Offline
Naturalized in Central America....not "native".

Roselle is native from India to Malaysia, where it is commonly cultivated, and must have been carried at an early date to Africa. It has been widely distributed in the Tropics and Subtropics of both hemispheres, and in many areas of the West Indies and Central America has become naturalized.

The Flemish botanist, M. de L'Obel, published his observations of the plant in 1576, and the edibility of the leaves was recorded in Java in 1687. Seeds are said to have been brought to the New World by African slaves. Roselle was grown in Brazil in the 17th Century and in Jamaica in 1707. The plant was being cultivated for food use in Guatemala before 1840. J.N. Rose, in 1899, saw large baskets of dried calyces in the markets of Guadalajara, Mexico.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,244 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.