Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Admin Offline OP
OP Offline
A
McAfee seeking political asylum in Guatemala

5:01PM EST December 4. 2012 - Software anti-virus pioneer and man on the run John McAfee has fled Belize for Guatemala and will seek political asylum there, his lawyer said Tuesday.

The 67-year-old McAfee and his 20-year-old girlfriend fled Belize over the weekend after three weeks on the run from police, who call him a person of interest in the Nov. 11 slaying of an American neighbor on the island of Ambergris Caye. They are in Guatemala City.

McAfee "is persecuted in Belize, persecuted politically because he stopped financing the government," his lawyer, Telesforo Guerra, a former Guatemalan attorney general and the woman's uncle, told AFP. "They accuse him of a common crime. So what I have to obtain is an authorization of asylum."

McAfee "fears for his life, because after having helped and supported the current government in Belize, they now want more and more money, which they pocket and don't invest."

No response yet from Belizean authorities.

On his blog, McAfee wrote Tuesday that it "was not easy to exit Belize and required many supporters in many countries." He said he planned to hold a news conference Wednesday.

McAfee is accompanied by journalists from Vice Magazine, who inadvertently revealed their location Monday by failing to delete location data from a photo they posted. When the gaffe was pointed out online, McAfee later wrote an "apology" for having "manipulated the xif data on the image taken from my cellphone," which he said he did "for my own safety."

But McAfee's "apology" turned out to be a ruse.

"I apologize for all of the misdirections over the past few days," McAfee wrote Tuesday. "Yesterday was chaotic due to the accidental release of my exact co-ordinates by an unseasoned technician at Vice headquarters."

Tuesday, the magazine's editor in chief, Rocco Castoro, wrote a fawning dispatch about being with McAfee. It begins:

This morning I had a delicious breakfast of crepes and fresh fruit with John McAfee and his 20-year-old Belizean girlfriend, Sam Vanegas, at a luxurious resort in Guatemala City. We awoke early, preparing for our meeting with powerful Guatemalan lawyer and former Attorney General Tel�sforo Guerra. He also happens to be Sam's uncle.

He goes on to quote McAfee as saying that Vanegas, whom he's known 18 months, is "a remarkable young woman. I love her very much and we are getting married."

Castoro writes that he and his photographer/videographer are wrapping up a "documentary and corresponding magazine piece, and that "very soon the world will be able to watch everything that happened along the way.

"It has been dangerous, amazing, touching and many other adjectives that I cannot remember right now because I am so exhausted and blown away by it all."

The piece ends with a photo of McAfee kissing his bride-to-be.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lize-guatemala-political-asylum/1746043/

A wedding!! How exciting!

(rolls eyes)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

E
E
What a freeking joke.

I have a feeling there is a huge joke being played out there... will be interesting to see how it all plays out for all. Not taking sides at all, just waiting for the facts to appear, if that will ever truly happen.

C
C
OK.. Guatemala hates Belize and vice versa..McAfee marries the Guat. Her Family has attorneys. Guat hands over McAfee in trade for the land they think we owe them. Its just stomach turning. One man thinks he can disrupt a whole country, hurt its tourism, what an ego. Yet I still think he may be innocent. Just a crazy rich guy. Hope they make a movie, if they film it here then the locals may be able to make some $$$$.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Perhaps Guatemala should keep him...then in a year or two Belize can ask Guatemala, "Hey vato, How's that workin out for you?"

Bear, with all due respect, what crime(s) has he committed backed with due process and legal facts? His situation, although very bizarre and unusual, might apply to any of us. Granted, I, nor anyone I know personally have experienced this level of drama while visiting or living in the beautiful county of Belize.

C
C
It wont end good for him, it shouldn't..he took his own vendetta to hurt Belize. I am sure he will do well in Guatemala for a short time..until he treats them the same..we gringos need to respect that we are just visitors in another persons land.most of us respect that. Citizenship, residency..no matter..we need to respect, and take baby steps to change what we think needs changing.and alot needs to be changed, but McAfees in your face attitude will never work. I love Belize, I love living here and everyday that I get to teach my neighbor somthing about animal care is a good day, still my neighbors have taught me so much more, McAfee innocent or not is guilty of exploiting us RESPECT BRO..thats between neighbors and everyday folks..McAfee isnt an everyday Folk. My mind that dosnt change much is changing..still think he may be not guilty...Just am starting to dislike him.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Love your post Cooper. I truly love Belize, the people are Belize.

Originally Posted by iluvbelize
Bear, with all due respect, what crime(s) has he committed backed with due process and legal facts? His situation, although very bizarre and unusual, might apply to any of us. Granted, I, nor anyone I know personally have experienced this level of drama while visiting or living in the beautiful county of Belize.

Luv, You're assuming I believe he has committed a crime...I am making no such judgements, and most certainly not any based on the comments on this board or the media. What I do believe is that the guy is a handful anywhere he goes and a certain karma goes along for the ride. That's it. I was trying to be very careful about phrasing my post, unfortunately the written word is subject to interpretation and you just happen to have misinterpeted mine. No harm no foul. Happy to see Coop gets it.

When I think about Mr McAfee I'm mentally channeling more the Lil' Abner character, Joe Btfsplk, [Linked Image] than Charlie Manson.

However I dont think that Mr MCAfee is a comedic sad sack, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. The guy is incredibly intelligent and simultaneously completely random. If the Guatemalan gov't wants to take that on by granting political asylum have at it. If it is their intent to take a shot at Belize by granting it I'm simply wagering that the question "Hows that workin out for you?" will be a pertinent one at some point .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.