Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#453386 12/12/12 06:47 PM
OP Offline
Dear Neighbor:
How long has it been since you last changed your mind? I did so last night. I have had several conversations with Capt. Hollywood and was just not interested in his security company. So, with a not very open mind, I attended the meeting at KAMA Lounge last night. There were only about a dozen people there and I didn't know half of them.
Dan put on a digital program and I was very impressed with how professional it was. I won't make you wait the long time it took to get to the bottom line; I'll give it to you right now. Up to four residents who live close by each other can form a block and each block pays only $150 US per month. That is something I can afford.
Resorts would each be a block as would condo groups. There must be 30 blocks to start and 50 to be self-supporting. As I listened I realized that this organization is similar to what the South Neighborhood Watch has. I think that NACNW should work with NISSIN. What also impressed me is how they are going to patrol and deter criminal elements and serve as a rescue team and advocate.
I'm not going to try to outline the program; I am encouraging each of you to attend the next meeting which will be held on the 20th of this month at the same place.
Resort owners and people with full time security might question the benefit to them; well, for one you and your guests will be protected while traveling to and from your place and they will provide feedback on the effectiveness of your security. There are other perks that I hope you will look into.
I simply was unable (unwilling) to pay the high price for private security; this I think is reasonable.

AND I hate burgler bars.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Does this plan you advocate include the patrol and ticketing of loose pets, i.e., dogs in each block? Might be something worthwhile to consider.

I will get interested in this and contribute when street lights go in....just as they have down south.

Look outside...there is no moon tonight. The road north is VERY dark. South Neighborhood Watch does not have this problem. They can see, therefore they can police.

The lights did not just appear. Our residents donated over $200K US invested in the road and lights. Our street lights do not go all the way down the road south. Myself and other residents have all taken many shifts patrolling and it is dark down south too!

We work hard, lobby hard and put our money, time, energy and efforts,in to make the south the way it is. We clean our streets, fix potholes, pick up the beaches, install garbage cans and call in suspicious activity and crimes.

Sure there are residents that do not contribute and yet reap the benefits. That is just the way it is sometimes. But the vast majority of our residents and even folks that merely work in this area care and do their part to make this a nice place to live.

We dont have wild, loose dogs chasing bikes and passersby and when we have a problem we work it out together.

Thank you for your gracious comments Harriette.

OP Offline
Amanda - that's just what we need to do up here. Your group has gotten very good reviews. We were the first NW but fell well behind you.
Sometimes we just have to do first things first bit then must move on to second and third.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Well, I guess you should probably know, SACNW has been around for a very long time - it used to cover Coconut Drive, all of San Pablo and all points south. I remember going to meetings with the group maybe 9 years ago, perhaps longer....

Oh, it was even longer than that - since Christine was a baby and she is now 16 years old.

I think that NACNW might want to consider doing what we ended up having to do in the south which is break down the areas into smaller, more manageable sized groups.

You are correct Amanda. SACNW was the first NW on the island, Dr. Lala started it . Soon after Hurricane Mitch, he came to our first NACNW meeting g to help us get started. The pier had been destroyed and the Palapa Bar was at that time on the beach.

JZB Offline
I believe SACNW has been around since 1995 but was reconfigured, amped up and registered as a Belize non-profit in 2008. And yes, I'm very proud of our watch. smile
P.S. I still don't have streetlights by my house and I like it that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.