Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Phil Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I was told this week that all Trade Licenses are to have a flat $100 added to help increase the Town Board coffers. I didn't get a chance to drop by and see if it's the case. Anyone already renewed and confirm/deny. Thoughts on it?

When was the last increase and how much do they cost now?

Reality..What a concept!
P
Phil Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This isn't an increase in the fee, it's an additional surcharge and a flat fee same rate for every business. Or so I was told if it is the case. Some people's Trade License is $100 some probably $1000+. Each of mine are in the $400 to $500 range from memory.

If the basic charge for a trade licence has not changed for a number of years, I think that a 100.00 increase is fair. JMHO.

Reality..What a concept!
P
Phil Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm not necessarily against it. I'd just like to know if it's true - and I'll find out tomorrow if SPTC is open - and what the money is for. I think a flat fee is a bit punitive for small businesses, as for some it could be 100% increase and other larger ones just 10%. However we can all see more money is required - It should come from GOB and our contributions to them - but that's another story.

JZB Offline
It is more of an administration fee to file the paperwork. For a vacation rental trade lic this year they want $200 per bedroom. For a 3bedroom home they want $600 plus $100 for them to look at your application.

C
C
$100 application fee?

It is a $100 application fee. Plus whatever the annual fee is.

Trade License Fees; a hot button issue within business community

The recent increase in trade license fees by the Belize City Council remains a hot-button issue within the business community. In some cases, business owners have seen a three hundred percent spike in charges, an upturn that many describe as "uncomfortable". On Thursday, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry, in an email forwarded to its membership, requested that the names of all businesses currently affected be submitted by noon today. A comprehensive list, which includes fees that are being levied on each business, has been tendered to Mayor Darrell Bradley for consideration. The decision to have him review the directory of businesses, in order to reduce the taxes, succeeds a meeting with the Minister of Labor and Local Government, Godwin Hulse. Hulse has interceded on the chamber's behalf in an effort to come up with a clear and more reasonable means of calculating trade license fees. In a subsequent press release issued by the Chamber today, the mayor's assurance to consider the names for tax reduction is outside of talks held with Minister Hulse on the matter. News Five attempted to get a comment from Mayor Bradley, however, we were informed that he was in a meeting to discuss the issue.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.