Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#454660 - 01/05/13 04:55 PM McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre
Mary1220 Offline
McAfee says he gave out computers to spy on people and monitored the computers.
http://www.whoismcafee.com/a-clear-and-present-danger/

#454674 - 01/06/13 12:34 AM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Nobody You Know Offline
The rantings of a delusional Sociopath. Interesting how he never bothered to mention to anyone at the US Embassy or any governmental agency of the land he now claims as his home about the willful facilitation of terrorists into the US by the GOB. Let us not even consider that there is absolutely no conceivable way he was able to control a group of novice, untrained "operatives" without someone revealing the grandiose plan to someone in the GOB...

#455652 - 01/19/13 04:17 PM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Marty Offline
here's the show from last night if you have any desire to see it. Parts 1-12. here's #1. links to the others are listed there.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dateline/50511789/#50511789

#455671 - 01/19/13 07:36 PM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Nobody You Know Offline
After viewing last night's show if you are still a McAfee sycophant you have obviously been using large quantities of his home made experimental brown crystalline powder...

#455678 - 01/19/13 09:00 PM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Don Greife Offline
It would appear that his rantings may be a smoke screen designed to move emphasis from himself and on to the GOB, with the intent to intimidate the government. However if he really has the spy type data he says he has, it will soon show up with all of its reprocussions in the media and possibly world wide sancions on the GOB. That would not be helphul in the realestate market.

#455706 - 01/20/13 04:55 AM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Thought the reporters and producers on this did a good and very comprehensive job, more or less fair to everybody. Belize, San Pedro and the government and McAfee's neighbors came off pretty well.

McAfee, not so much. In my opinion, he came across, especially in the interviews toward the end, as another Lance Armstrong. Only less truthful and more paranoid.

Some tidbits that I hadn't heard reported before; such as that McAfee rented Greg Faull's North Ambergris house in the early days when he was trying to do his "natural" pharmaceuticals, and left the house totally trashed. That was before the on-going dispute over McAfee's dogs and thuggish security guys. McAfee's claim that he hardly knew Faull is, at best, a little shaky.

Don't know if the truth will ever come out, but I bet professional investigators and an aggressive prosecutor could build quite a case.

#455723 - 01/20/13 01:59 PM Re: McAfee more ...things get more Bizarre [Re: Mary1220]
Marty Offline

from a friend, in a comment to Lan's note...

I am on board with your thoughts. McAfee certainly knows more than he pretends and even his girlfriend Sam contradicted his alibi on the day of the murder. As the reporter noted McAfee is great at misdirection but when you take that away your are left with some disturbing realities. Overall the one writer from Wired had it right when he mentioned there was some element of truth in some of what he has said. But clearly the jungle and the environment "infected" him and something has gone very wrong with McAfee. The Apocalypse Now comparison was right on.

I don't know anybody that was in the piece but they seemed believable. I'd love to have an off-the-record with the one McAfee guard they interviewed. I was also intrigued by Miss Amy. As was noted she really grew up fast and seems well beyond her years.

http://insidedateline.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/17/16573288-antivirus-pioneer-john-mcafee-reveals-new-details-to-dateline-nbc

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dateline/50515066/#50515024

Excellent, and I think fair and balanced, not to mention in-depth, reporting.

Belize and the government come off pretty well in it.

Thanks for posting the link.

One interesting fact I hadn't heard before is that McAfee rented Faull's house on North Ambergris to use as his lab before he opened his own lab in Orange Walk District. Apparently he trashed it totally before he moved out. So that in addition to all the problems Greg had with McAfee's dogs and thuggish security guards, McAfee apparently knew Faull a lot better than he let on.

I know several of the people interviewed in the story, and I totally believe what they say. McAfee is slick and smart, but I don't believe half of what he says.

Although it sounds like McAfee is never going to have to face a real investigation or trial, I'm more convinced than ever that there's evidence that he or perhaps his security guards had something to do with the death. And that that McAfee himself is not so much paranoid as a psychopath.

I am on board with your thoughts. McAfee certainly knows more than he pretends and even his girlfriend Sam contradicted his alibi on the day of the murder. As the reporter noted McAfee is great at misdirection but when you take that away your are left with some disturbing realities. Overall the one writer from Wired had it right when he mentioned there was some element of truth in some of what he has said. But clearly the jungle and the environment "infected" him and something has gone very wrong with McAfee. The Apocalypse Now comparison was right on. I don't know anybody that was in the piece but they seemed believable. I'd love to have an off-the-record with the one McAfee guard they interviewed. I was also intrigued by Miss Amy. As was noted she really grew up fast and seems well beyond her years.

Now that I've had time to view the footage , I guess I have different standards of what constitutes in-depth reportage. It wasmostly a recapitulation of already-published information with one or two semi-interesting bits information added, mainly the assertion that Greg Faull admitted poisoning the dogs and conflicting stories about alibis. Without the padding for endless commercials, that story could have been told in 15 minutes. I don't know how you can say the government of Belize comes off looking good when the perception is that the investigation has stalled. I know police rightly want to keep details out of the press until an arrest is made, but usually there are ongoing press releases and other assurances the investigation is proceeding. The silence is deafening. It would be a tragedy if Greg Faull's murder just disappears from view. It's a tragedy when any Belizean's murder just disappears from view.

Do you have reason to believe that Greg Faull's murder will be dealt with any differently than any other Belizean citizen?

The rate of conviction for serious crimes in Belize is indeed a tragedy. Unfortunately, I don't see any relief in sight.

And I agree with you. I also don't think the Belizean Governement came off looking good.

On how Belize came off, obviously the Dateline piece wasn't a PR video, but on the other hand ...

* Belize police, the San Pedro mayor, government officials including the PM I thought generally came across as intelligent, reasonable people doing their job, maybe not perfectly but trying to be fair * There were some shots of beautiful Belize scenery, the sea, rivers, bush, upscale beach homes, etc. and not much, say, of rundown or scary areas of Belize City or elsewhere

* A couple of times the statement was made (inaccurately, of course) that one reason Faull moved to Belize was due to its low crime rate, and that crimes against expats were rare

The negative stuff IMO was mostly about McAfee -- scenes of him with guns, young girls one-fifth his age and of his security guards, of him babbling on at first about great Belize was and then later ranting about how terrible it is.

I imagine how outsiders would react to the piece is more about how they already feel about the Belize government and about McAfee. If they believe McAfee is a sane, rational, smart guy, more a victim than a victimizer, and that the Belize government is corrupt and incompetent, then they're going to feel the piece supported their view and that Belize came off badly. If they feel McAfee's actions are at least somewhat suspect, they may have more positive views of Belize.

I don't think Greg Faull's murder will be handled any differently than any other murder in Belize, nor do I think it should. And that's all the tragedy. Every time a murder goes unsolved or unprosecuted, it's a tragedy for the victim, the family, the community, and the nation as a whole.

I don't know what to think of John McAfee, except to see that he is a very complicated character. He may be a sane, smart, rational guy, a victim, a victimizer, a scammer, and a loose cannon all at once. I agree some officials come off as intelligent, reasonable people trying to do their jobs, others not so much. In my view the GOB is not so different from governments anywhere, especially the US government at all levels. Are there hard-working officials trying to do a good job? Yes there are. Are there corrupt officials using their position solely for personal gain? Well, unfortunately that's true too.

As to whether "Trouble in Paradise" is good investigative journalism or not, kindly watch Edward R. Murrow's "Harvest of Shame" or Walter Cronkite's series on the Vietnam War and then tell me how it compares. I doubt it'll hold up well.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.