Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#455095 - 01/13/13 05:06 AM Government policy change????????
Belize-N-Us Offline

Caribbean Island Medical Practice Clinic Pharmacy And Property For Sale

San Pedro, Belize
$1,200,000
(Furniture / Fixtures and Inventory / Stock included)

Sales revenue:0 - $500k Cash flow:0 - $250k
Business description

15 year medical practice of internal medicine and gastroenterology. 100 meters from Caribbean, 400 meters from second largest barrier reef in the world. Diving mecca of the hemisphere. Island of Ambergris Caye, Belize. Property consists of 2 houses, 2 apartments on large lot across from Belize Yacht Club. Main house built in 2005 is 3 stories with large observation sun deck above roof. 360 degree view of the island, Caribbean, and reef. Property has the best tropical garden on the island. Flamebouyant, coconut, mango, avacado, sea grape, palms, papaya, and banana set among large assortment of tropical plants. Front house (single floor) houses Medical clinic and pharmacy. Total approximately 6,400 sq. ft. under roof with 4,700 livable space. All structures concrete. Main house has hurricane protected roof joists, ceramic hurricane roof tiles rated to 150 mph. 33 windows in top two floors of main house protected with roll-down hurricane protection. All windows of complex have aluminum burgler bar grids. City water, electric, sewer, internet, phone, and cable TV. Complex has 50 windows, 14 entry doors, 5 bathrooms, 8 air conditioners. Perfect for medical professional who wishes to practice in a tropical paradise setting or anyone who would want excellant rental property. Low property taxes, great air service to international airport. Owner retiring..

This ad implies that a non-belizean doctor can buy / operate this private clinic in Belize. Has the Belizean government changed it's stance on private practice medical licensure for "non-belizean" doctors? I repeatedly tried to get a private practice license in Belize but was only able to get a volunteer license. I am board certified and have no licensure issues here in the US.

Misleading advertising or government policy change?

Edited by Belize-N-Us (01/13/13 05:08 AM)

#455100 - 01/13/13 05:40 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
iluvbelize Offline
Too bad you're not Cuban. Seriously. This is a damn shame, but that's the GOB. I wish you the best in selling your practice and beautiful property. God speed.

#455105 - 01/13/13 06:02 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
ScubaLdy Offline
I learn that my doctor (Dr. Lerida) is retiring by reading it here?
She has been a very good doctor to me.

#455130 - 01/13/13 07:28 PM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Judyann H. Offline
DR. Lerida cannot be replaced.....From House Calls to humorous bedside manner.....She is by far the best Physician I have ever met.....Sorry to my Doctor friends.....However, Dr. Lerida has been so good with every little and lately BIG ailment I've had.....I know you have to go Doc I just don't want you to....Lots of Love from the Horton's

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#455139 - 01/13/13 11:26 PM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Judyann H.]
SnoopysMom Offline
It would be interesting to know if a US doc would be able to obtain licensure here now (perhaps Dr. Lerida would be able to assist?). As a FT resident on the Island for 5 yrs, I am not as impressed with the skill of the Physicians here or in the city.... The dentists, however, are well trained.

#455207 - 01/14/13 11:56 PM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: SnoopysMom]
Belize-N-Us Offline
As far as I'm aware there has been no change in the GOB's stance on letting US docs have a private practice license in Belize.

I can come volunteer in a government run clinic but I cannot open my own clinic there.

I've worked on this issue for years with no progress and I had "connected" locals helping me as well.

#455209 - 01/15/13 12:02 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Belize-N-Us Offline
A person responding through the ad trying to sell the clinic basically stated that I could first become a Belize citizen then get my private practice license.

I'm not sure that would work but it's not an option for me since getting a Belizean citizenship requires living there for a year. A year without any income isn't an option for me in the near future.

#455210 - 01/15/13 12:08 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
champion Offline
Originally Posted By: Belize-N-Us
A person responding through the ad trying to sell the clinic basically stated that I could first become a Belize citizen then get my private practice license.

I'm not sure that would work but it's not an option for me since getting a Belizean citizenship requires living there for a year. A year without any income isn't an option for me in the near future.

Wait a minute, you're a doctor for christ sakes, yer filthy rich! Move down, pay cash for the clinc and work for free 16 hours a day till you get the Belize status you need, then your set and ready to go. grin

Ernie says he would help too!

Edited by champion (01/15/13 12:10 AM)

#455218 - 01/15/13 02:43 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
BeBelize Offline

Actually, you can only get your Permanent Residency after being in Belize for a year. Citizenship requires five years!

#455219 - 01/15/13 02:53 AM Re: Government policy change???????? [Re: Belize-N-Us]
C2C

Permanent Residency (PR)...which allows for working without a permit...is one year in country plus processing time, Citizenship requires 5 years. Optionally one can purchase a work permit...in this case probably US$2K which would allow working while gaining time towards PR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 42 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,375 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.