Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Pedro Taking Steps to Alleviate Island Traffic Congestion

One of the main problems with the congestion is the heavy cargo trucks that are all over town delivering goods for grocery stores, construction sites and hardware stores. Upon the completion of the cobble stone streets it was said that traffic of those heavy trucks would be diverted to the back streets with limited permits within town limits, yet nothing was done to implement these rules. With this in mind, the San Pedro Town Council has taken the step of making it a law that delivery of goods be done only at night. Ambergris Today met with Mayor Daniel Guerrero who elaborated more on this issue. "We are working hard on getting this law gazette," stated Mayor Daniel. "We hope that by March of this year all deliveries will be taking place during the night so as to alleviate the traffic congestion on our streets and mostly to avoid any accidents."

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

That's Right! Deliveries using large vehicles will be prohibited during the day and will have to perform duties at night so that we can have a safer streets for smaller vehicles and pedestrians, especially the kids going to school in the morning, lunch time and in the afternoons.

Danny and SP Town Council are again thinking and doing.
It is so refreshing and so darn good for everybody.

Me too Diane I'm glad they're thinking about it and trying to do something; that is refreshing. But a law requiring night delivery only seems a bit simplistic and impractical. Well lets just say it presents its own set of challenges and issues...

I were a store owner and my perishables came in on a day barge, where will they sit until dark? Will people be available to make the delivery, will I have to pay more for work after normal hours. If material was typically delivered to my shop by the barge operator, are the barge delivery guys going to charge me more money for delivery after hours? Do I have to close shop and them reopen at a later time at night to comply with the delivery law?

This simply shifts traffic, but not necessarily to a time where there are less populated streets. When night rolls around (in season) and there are a bunch of visitors roaming around the street looking at the back end of multiple delivery truck blocking access to a restaurant or club or whatever how much better is that?

I'm sure they recognise these issues for themselves and I'm sure if they havent thought of them the store owners will bring it to their attention. Meanwhile I am please with SPTC efforts as a whole and their recognition of various issues confronting a growing San Pedro.

S
S
Playa del Carmen has found a way to do it, I'm sure we can as well.

S
S
Avalon, Catalina Island figured this out about 50 years ago

P
P
Nantucket does it and it works

Just my opinion. In Playa it works because there are "back" and "side" streets and alleys where deliveries can be made. As a property owner for many years on Coconut drive, I can tell you that the traffic has gotten out of control. What, if any, means will there be for beer, water, and soda delivery tractors? They take up much of the room on the streets during the daytime, and I can't imagine them doing it at night.

I also respect the thought that perishables could be kept out in the hot sun for the daylight hours, ruining many of them.

I think the SPTC is on the right track here, but some other changes are needed.

Change your Latitude
B
B
The worst offenders are not the occasional construction vehicle or delivery truck. It is the SPD tractors and trailers who are plugging up the streets 16 hours a day. Funny how that subject never comes up.
The days of the tractors is over--or at least numbered, I hope.

http://www.zapworld.com/files/news/zap-coke-truck-coca-cola.jpg

When on the Greek Islands, I was impressed with the mini type trucks they used for delivery and even garbage pickup. Have long believed that this would be the right way go go on AC too. That said, it would take a very long time to implement due to the costs incurred.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Danny and SP Town Council are again thinking and doing.
It is so refreshing and so darn good for everybody.

Another of those rare occasions that I agree with you. I was wrong about Danny, I didn't vote for him but he's turned out to be a winner. Communication is the key and he's doing that well.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.