Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#455593 01/18/13 05:11 PM
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Good lord what has happened at the split?

[Linked Image]

D
D
The Split has a long history of collapsing seawalls and disappearing sand fill.
My engineer buddies and I have spoken with a long series of owners about the reasons for that and have always been rejected.
But this is probably different....

Speculation at the Split

New Years Eve was a big event here on Caye Caulker and the Split had its fair share of clientele and were jam packed for their big event! The dance floor - the enclosed area that hangs over the beach was the 'dance floor', although everywhere and anywhere people were dancing needless to say!!

The pressure of so much weight jumping up and down to celebrate the New Year coming in forced the floor of the building to almost collapse. All party goers were safe and unhurt but this has forced the owners and manager to tear down this part of the building. Whilst it does not detract from the general feeling from the building there is a sense of 'what happens next'!!!

Lips are sealed and gossip is rife but we will eagerly await the new improvements and we will ensure that we will keep you posted as soon as they arrive!!

Raggamuffin Tours Blog

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Marty,
I find that hard to believe. I have been at the split new years 2012, there are tons of people, but I'm not buying the story. I put that story in the same category as the house that fell into the caves overnight! That deck was well built. We will see what development is underway, my money says is that is isn't simply a deck repair.

Last edited by MikeD; 01/19/13 10:41 AM.
C
C
Looks to me like they are rebuiding the area that has fallen apart from general use, water and erosion. We o to the split about 3 times a week. The area within the orange construction area is in bad need of repair. The tables in the water are a bit danerous, with nails sticking out, broken tables and chairs. Really dangerous for children that love to swim there. It looks like that is what they are trying to repair. We went on a week vacation so will check it out tomorrow.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
D
D
If you swim in the middle of the split you can see that South bank is undercut at the bottom.
The building is sitting on a soft sand bluff with water rushing under the edge.
The seawalls are built on that hanging soft sand bluff in spots.
A guy who actually knew what he was doing offered to close the Split for US$300K . The owners at that time preferred to sell and let it collapse.
Big storm not needed.
I can remember when the split was about ten ft wide and there was small island in front of the bar. It was about six feet deep. Now it is over 25 ft.deep.

The good news is that the Split won't go away. The edge just keeps moving inland and the buildings keep collapsing.
If they wake up and build new about thirty feet inland we would have more room to drink and play on the North side by the channel and they would save a fortune in repairs.
If the bar was built on driven pilings like the condo building is, it could survive as poles in the water when the erosion reaches it.
Could save some lives too. They got lucky this time.
Frankly I deplore building codes but this mess is the reason they exist.

Last edited by Dane; 01/19/13 11:53 PM.
P
P
it did collapse at new years eve, i was there... you could feel the floor moving

Is the Bar still open?

C
C
The floor may have been moving..scary enough but it certainly did not collapse, I have a day off tomorrow so will go check it out..see if the bar is open etc. Been 10 days since I was there and all was open and running.

C
C
First of all their never was or is an enclosed area that hangs over the beach. There is the uncovered deck that hangs over the water. The bar and the enclosed area upstairs that is newer and sits on top the bar, it overlooks the beach but isnt extended. The old upstairs from years ago has been closed off for years. Nothing has changed at the split, as of my visit today. Business as usual on the deck over the water, in the bar and upstairs. They are however tearing down the old unused portion and rebuilding it so it can be used again, as I said it hasnt been used for years. They are just upgrading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day