One of the most appealing things about traveling is its unpredictability.� It is easy to research and imagine, but until people actually immerse themselves in a place, they won't ever truly understand it.� Recently, when my friends and I planned a trip to the Central American country of Belize, we thought we knew where the geography of bliss was.� Home to the world's second largest Great Barrier Reef, Belize's Amerbergris Caye was going to serve us well.� With its white sand beaches, emerald waves, diverse marine life, and coconut palms, we pictured ourselves relaxing the days away in whimsical comfort.� But the island gave us no such euphoria.� Unexpectedly, we instead found enchantment in an small interior town called San Ignacio.

Tucked away in a valley between two rivers, San Ignacio is a quaint little town filled with culture and beauty. It is surrounded by rolling hills and jungle vegetation.� There is a soft stream that runs through downtown, connected by an emblematic old yellow steel bridge.� The central business district consists of small alleyways that showcase its vernacular colonial heritage.� The town is populated by a mosaic of ethnicities that includes Mestizos, Kriols, Lebanese, Chinese, and Amerindian.

DSC_1216DSC_1133
(Click on pictures to enlarge)

Everything in San Ignacio is calmer.� No one is in a hurry and you shouldn't be either.� The traffic is mild and cars roll gently through the streets.� You rarely feel rushed to cross an intersection and walking is the preferred mode of transportation when in the city center.� The atmosphere here is tranquil and the air feels clean (most of the time).� If you want food, expect to sit and wait for hours.� But that's ok, because you'll adapt and maybe even learn to enjoy it.� Supper in San Ignacio seems less about the act of eating and more about enjoying the company you are with and the people that surrounds you.

DSC_1131 DSC_1235

The town is a haven for backpackers.� It is an environment that encourages social interaction.� "Where are you from?� What are you doing in San Ignacio?� Where have you been?"� Everyone is curious and everyone wants to converse.� Companionship seems natural in San Ignacio.� We even had breakfast next to Grant Imahara of Mythbusters.

DSC_1325 DSC_1349

The food here is wonderful.� Meats, fruits, and dairy are all raised, grown, and produced locally.� There is minimal processing, with a direct farm-to-table approach.� There is no corn hidden in your dinner, just real food.� One of the days while we were having breakfast, a local farmer personally dropped off his eggs for our restaurant's morning service.� It doesn't get much fresher than that.� On Saturdays, there is a local fruit and vegetable market that opens to the public.� Nothing is heavily preserved and everything is cheap.� Just outside of town, I found personal solace upon seeing cattle grazing openly in their natural environment, surrounded by acres of sprawling green grass.� Yes, they will still be slaughtered, but at least their days won't be subjected to the harsh confines and diets of our American-style CAFOS.� I have always said that I am willing to pay more for meat that comes from an animal that was taken care of.� Here in San Ignacio, I received ethical meals without intensive capital expenditure.

DSC_1329 DSC_1145

San Ignacio's surrounding area is rich in history.� There are two ancient Mayan sites that are nearly within walking distance.� Cahal Pech, which dates backs to 1200 B.C.E, was a former hilltop palace home for the Mayan elites.� Xunantunich, located less than one mile from the Guatemala border, was a former ceremonial site for the archaic civilization.� Here, you can freely climb to the top of the largest pyramid and enjoy a splendor view of the land.� Also just south of town is the Mountain Pine Ridge, a place of waterfalls, caves, and wildlife.� We drove about two miles directly into it and although it was the most treacherous ride we have ever experienced, it generated a memory that will stay with us for a lifetime.

DSC_1183 DSC_1239

DSC_1294 DSC_1321

Life is simpler in Western Belize.� It is a portrait of society before globalization.� There are no McDonald's or Taco Bell here; no Wal-Mart or Belle Tire; just small mom-and-pop shops trying to sustain themselves in this capitalistic world. �Most people in San Ignacio live in poverty.� Seeing homes built from straw and planks of wood, and families bathing and washing their clothes in creeks is a humbling experience.� It disciplines us into appreciating what we have and encourages us not to waste our gifted opportunities back home.

DSC_1153 DSC_1231

A primary reason why we dislike Amerbergris Caye is because it is too developed, loud, and artificial.� San Ignacio is peaceful, authentic, and charming. �The most popular destinations aren't always the most glorious.� The road less traveled is sometimes the most scenic trek. �During my stay in San Ignacio, I learned a lot about myself and what I value in life.� I felt comfort and peace.� I have missed it ever since I left, but I am confident this town will find a way to charm me back again, someday.� - Ping Zhou

DSC_1328

Source