Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#456014 - 01/22/13 09:35 PM Name change with Immigration
sunshiner Offline
I have written to Immigration but haven't had a response so I thought I would try here to see if anyone has resolved this issue personally.
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later. I have now remarried and changed my name. I am thinking of moving back to Belize and want to change my name on my Permanent Residency card. I also have my Belize Social Security card and my Belize expired driver's license. I had a Trades License also. Any suggestions? I will be in San Pedro for the month of March.

#456017 - 01/22/13 10:19 PM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
dabunk Offline
They are no longer issuing perm res cards so it is all in your passport stamp now. When we wanted to transfer our stamp from our old expired pass to new one they wanted us to leave both old and new with them for 2 weeks just to transfer the stamp. I doubt you could get that done in a month unless you had a minister push it through for you and would probably have to get it done in Belmopan as well.

#456021 - 01/22/13 10:50 PM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: dabunk]
sunshiner Offline
Well, that is sad as I no longer have that passport. I received the card through all the legal channels in 1999, after moving to San Pedro in 1996.

#456033 - 01/23/13 01:36 AM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
dabunk Offline
If you have the card you are still legal. Problem is getting them to transfer card information to your new passport in that time period. All you can do is check when you arrive at immigration dept on the island.

#456034 - 01/23/13 01:37 AM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
dabunk Offline
Does the card match the name on your current passport?

#456043 - 01/23/13 02:30 AM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
Originally Posted By: sunshiner
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later.

Do not be surprised if your PR status is revoked and you are given a tourist visa. Although there is, apparently, no specific length of time one needs to be in country to maintain PR status, the information I received was "at least two weeks per year". Good chance the question will come up since the PR cards haven't been used in years and since replaced by stamps/permanent visas in passports.

#456061 - 01/23/13 04:53 AM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: dabunk]
sunshiner Offline
The problem is that my name changed when I remarried and my passport doesn't match the card.

#456062 - 01/23/13 04:54 AM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
sunshiner Offline
When I was in Belize last year, I just used a tourist visa and didn't pursue this. I hate to think that all that time and effort and money is wasted and I will have to start all over again if I decide to move back to Belize.

#456082 - 01/23/13 03:15 PM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
Diane Campbell Offline
Maybe if you carry a copy of your marriage license with you, it could explain the name-difference. I had to do that when we first got here - it takes time to get names changed on so many docs, that's for sure. Officials seemed fine with this approach.

#456106 - 01/23/13 05:18 PM Re: Name change with Immigration [Re: sunshiner]
Amanda Syme Offline
Make sure you have your divorce papers also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,717 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,363 Topics
463,181 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.