Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I have written to Immigration but haven't had a response so I thought I would try here to see if anyone has resolved this issue personally.
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later. I have now remarried and changed my name. I am thinking of moving back to Belize and want to change my name on my Permanent Residency card. I also have my Belize Social Security card and my Belize expired driver's license. I had a Trades License also. Any suggestions? I will be in San Pedro for the month of March.

They are no longer issuing perm res cards so it is all in your passport stamp now. When we wanted to transfer our stamp from our old expired pass to new one they wanted us to leave both old and new with them for 2 weeks just to transfer the stamp. I doubt you could get that done in a month unless you had a minister push it through for you and would probably have to get it done in Belmopan as well.

S
OP Offline
S
Well, that is sad as I no longer have that passport. I received the card through all the legal channels in 1999, after moving to San Pedro in 1996.

If you have the card you are still legal. Problem is getting them to transfer card information to your new passport in that time period. All you can do is check when you arrive at immigration dept on the island.

Does the card match the name on your current passport?

C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by sunshiner
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later.

Do not be surprised if your PR status is revoked and you are given a tourist visa. Although there is, apparently, no specific length of time one needs to be in country to maintain PR status, the information I received was "at least two weeks per year". Good chance the question will come up since the PR cards haven't been used in years and since replaced by stamps/permanent visas in passports.

S
OP Offline
S
The problem is that my name changed when I remarried and my passport doesn't match the card.

S
OP Offline
S
When I was in Belize last year, I just used a tourist visa and didn't pursue this. I hate to think that all that time and effort and money is wasted and I will have to start all over again if I decide to move back to Belize.

Maybe if you carry a copy of your marriage license with you, it could explain the name-difference. I had to do that when we first got here - it takes time to get names changed on so many docs, that's for sure. Officials seemed fine with this approach.

Make sure you have your divorce papers also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 299 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.