Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Reef TV Offline OP
OP Offline
R
[Linked Image]

Angel Nunez assistant to the Events Planner at the San Pedro Town Council announced the dates for Carnaval 2013 (8-12 of February). Yes, it has been extended to include two more days. More activities including a Masquerade Dance have been added and new rules have been set. No longer will painting be allowed on Sunday and Monday but it will be allowed on Tuesday and ONLY in the Boca del Rio Area from Wet Willy's to the park (beachside only). Watch the re-run of the Good Morning San Pedro Show to hear it all today at 5pm. If you have any suggestions about Carnaval and the new way forward for this tradition you can contact the San Pedro Town Council at 226-2198.

More good news.
Creating another truly fun (longer with more stuff) celebration is great for all.
Limiting the painting is a move that is smart and long overdue. Whenever I see the lovely mural at the Primary school defaced and the handprints everywhere else I get really steamed.

Yea Danny.

Great move for them. We have always avoided town to avoid all the painting as we had a bad experience a few years back. Let them have there fun and let us enjoy the town. Thanks

R
R
Yes, good move. The paint all over looks terrible and is costly to fix for the owners. We too avoid town during this time. Having said that I hope it is an enjoyable experience for all involved. Yes, the mayor deserves credit for moving things in the right direction.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
They should ban all the painting part of it, I was there once for this, and am so glad I'll miss it this time , arriving the 14th.

Town Council mandates changes for Carnaval 2013

The dates for Carnaval 2013 have been set and the rules have been changed. From February 8th through February 13th, the San Pedro Carnaval will see a celebration focused on tradition as opposed to the free-for-all painting and debauchery that has evolved to over the years. While some residents are arguing that the changes are for the better, there is also opposition from those who want to keep carnaval the way it has been over the recent years.

As the island develops and the population has grown, the celebration of carnaval has been met with mixed emotions. For many, carnaval is a time for friends to gather and join in a tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation on the island. Over the years however, some revelers have taken it upon themselves to intentionally deface public and private property and in some instances, cause bodily harm to other individuals. The final night of carnaval was often considered a version of "Fat Tuesday", with a "free-for-all" attitude. Many believe this night has evolved into a more sinister affair, with bullying, physical harm and vandalism and leaving the true meaning of carnival behind.

This year, under the organization of the San Pedro Town Council's Culture Committee, the traditions are getting a makeover. On Tuesday, January 22nd the committee held its final meeting to cement the schedule of activities for 2013′s carnaval celebrations. 2013 will see carnaval go from a three day celebration to six days, with activities scheduled daily. Organizers hope that the new format for carnaval will prove to be more appealing to both residents and visitors alike, and eventually serve as yet another selling point for tourism on the island.

Below is the new schedule

Friday February 8th: Noche de Enmascarados

An opening ceremony and dance show that includes historical/traditional comparsas and live entertainment. This all takes place at the Central Park starting at 7PM.

Saturday February 9th: Sabado de Bando Ball

A masquerade bazaar will take place at the Angel Nu�ez Auditorium with live music and entertainment starting at 7PM. This is also where the selection of this year’s Carnaval Queen and King will be chosen by a panel of judges.

Sunday, February 10th through Tuesday, February 12th:

Participants and onlookers get to enjoy the variety of colorful and creative carnaval comparsas as they dance through Pescador Drive and Barrier Reef Drive. The comparsa activity ends at the Central Park where entertainment with singing, dancing and musical renditions will be provided. Throughout these days, painting will be allowed on the beach from Boca del Rio Park to Wet Willy’s. Painters as usual, are asked to respect each other as well as private and public properties.

At 7PM on Tuesday, February 12th the winners of the 2013 carnaval comparsas will be announced at Central Park.

On Ash Wednesday, February13th, the traditional burning of Juan Carnaval will be observed at Central Park, with entertainment starting at 7PM.

There are also some changes to the painting rules. As stated before, the confined zone for painting is on the beach area from Boca Del Rio Park to near Wet Willy's dock, from 1PM to 9PM on the dates specified above. Items to be used for painting include: body powder, face powder, lipsticks, cosmetics, ashes and water based paints. The San Pedro Town Council strongly discourages the use of any oil, exterior or enamel based paints. Any paint suspected to be or is oil based, enamel or exterior wall paint will be confiscated by police. No painting will be allowed outside the confined zone. Anyone caught painting outside of the designated area will be arrested and charged. The mayor further advises that there will be strict police presence to ensure adherence to the rules. Additional police officers will be brought in from mainland Belize to secure a safe, orderly Carnival 2013.

San Pedro Sun

Just a reminder! Tune in this morning to the Good Morning San Pedro talk show to hear the caller's opinions/suggestions in regards to the changes proposed for Carnaval 2013.

You too can call and make a suggestion! Dial 226-2200 and let us know what you think.

From the Mayor:
I would like to make a clarification on the Carnaval 2013 controversy that is going on in regards to the paint. The use of oil based paints spray paints and eggs are ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED.

ONLY WATER BASED PAINT IS ALLOWED for painting.

Carnaval 2013: "Comparsas y Pintura, Nuestra Cultura"

With all the controversy surrounding the original changes that the San Pedro Town Council had initially put forth for the 2013 celebrations, there has been a compromise reached, with a request from the council that participants respect the new rules. There was a lot of back and forth in regards to the initial changes which wanted a painting zone declared from the beach by Wet Willy’s dock to the Boca Del Rio park. However, there has been a new venue announced, and painting will take place in town, from the beachside in front of Rubies’ Hotel all the way down to the cemetery.

There will be a lot more policing of activities, and participants are urged to follow the rules to make for a safe carnaval for everyone involved. Below find the new rules and a program of events for the 2013 revelry.

CARNAVAL RULES & REGULATIONS

1. Traffic:
- Close Barrier Reef to all vehicular traffic from 4pm - 10 pm from Sunday to Tuesday.
- Traffic Officers will be assign to comparsas
- No parking on Barrier Reef Drive & Pescador Drive

2. Security/Supervision:
- Police presence in Barrier Reef Drive, Park and Beach.
- Hired carnaval wardens for additional security.

3. Painting:
- Recommended that only children allowed to paint on Sunday
- Community asked to refrain from painting on Monday at the request of the San Pedro Catholic Church due to the Virgin Fatima's Visit (only this year)
- Painting ONLY on the beach from Rubies to the Cemetery and on Barrier Reef Drive
- Painting only until 10 pm
- No painting of comparsas participants
- No painting of signs, properties and vehicles
- No painting of people not playing
- No painting of people in uniforms
- No oil paint or spray paint
- No bottle squeezers
- No rotten eggs
- No throwing of eggs

4. Clean Up & Post Mortem:
- Hose down on Tuesday night by Fire Dept.
- Community Service by SPHS
- Offender MUST help clean up (3 hrs. community Service)

PROGRAM OF EVENTS

SATURDAY: SABADO DE BANDO (MASQUERADE & BLOCK PARTY)
� Opening Ceremony
� Dance Show
� Performance by Los Mascarados
� Historical/Traditional Comparsas presentation
� Coronation of Carnaval Queen
� Live Music & DJ Music
� Food Booths
**Venue: Central Park
**Time: 7:00 pm

SUNDAY: DOMINGO DE CARNAVAL
� Comparsas (Street Performances) & Painting
� Performances by Karaoke singers, Valentino Caliz, San Pedro got talent, Mr. Jade
� Dance performances

MONDAY: LUNES DE CARNAVAL
� Comparsas (Street Performances)

TUESDAY: MARTES DE PINTADERA
� Comparsas (Street Performances)
� Martes de Pintadera Beach Party (4:00 pm - 10:00 pm)
� Creative Carnaval Arts
� Final Comparsas Dance Presentation (9:00 pm)
� Award Ceremony at Central Park

WEDNESDAY: DON JUAN CARNAVAL
� Reading of the Will of Juan Carnaval
� Funeral Procession of Juan Carnaval
� Burning of Juan Carnaval

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

From the Mayor:

I would like to thank the community of San Pedro who took the time to voice their opinions and also share suggestions, whether through social media, calling at the Town Council's office, through the Good Morning San Pedro talk show or inquiring it to me personally. I appreciate all the feedback that is given to me and along with the Town Council we try to work things out to accommodate everyone. It is a difficult task to please everyone but I'm sure a majority of San Pedro is content with the decisions we have taken in regards to Carnaval 2013. I encourage everyone to part take in these 5 days of carnaval and to keep the tradition alive by practicing it safely. I also encourage everyone to spread awareness on the rules established for the three days of painting which are on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (Feb 10-12).

On Monday, I strongly ask the public to respect and take into consideration the procession that the Roman Catholic Church is having in regards to the arrival of the Virgin of Fatima.

I also want to remind you all that we have 8 scholarships available: 4 for Police (male) and 4 for Nurses (females). Parents encourage your kids to apply. This is a great opportunity and together we can make a better San Pedro.

More information will be given on the scholarships the following week as we are still putting everything together.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.