Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

You dine under an outdoor palapa that gives you the feeling of a Mestizo dwelling where you can see the actual Fogon on which the food is prepared. It's very homey, with tables set on a sandy floor, typical of a traditional island home back in the days. It's Belize comfort food at its best where you enjoy local food in a local setting. Lunch time is usually the busiest at El Fogon as the restaurant prepares daily specials which locals on the go find it very convenient to drop by to quickly pick up a delicious meal. Of course there is always the regular stuff like rice and beans or white rice infused with coconut milk, hearty soups like Escabeche or Relleno, fresh catch of the day (fillet or whole fish), conch fritter and lobster tails (when in season), BBQ chicken, stew gibnut, and salbutes just to name a few. It's that authenticity in traditional Belizean flavors and the distinct flavor that cooking in the fire hearth creates that has people going back for more at El Fogon Restaurant.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more FABULOUS photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Great post on the San Pedro Scoop blog on El Fogon.....

LINK

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Pig Tail at El Fogon Restaurant

El Fogon has expanded quite a bit over the last year. And though it was empty when I first arrived at about 11.50am, the place was pretty packed up by 12.15. In Belize, lunch time is lunch time. Mid-day. Noon. It's as if everyone is programmed with some sort of internal clock that rings at that time.

And just delicious food. The coconut rice is worth the visit alone. Moist and tasty. I went for a favorite of mine. Pig tail.

A "meat" that is very popular in Belize. It is sold from a bucket called a pigtail bucket and though I am hesitant to show you a photo�but�how bad can it be?

ANYWAY�it's salty and meaty and delicious. Just not exactly a first date kinda food.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

El Fogon Restaurant in San Pedro

Ms. Susana started El Fogon restaurant due to the lack of authentic local Belizean food - fire hearth cooked.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Delicious Traditional Food at El Fogon Restaurant

Yesterday we drove past El Fogon Restaurant on the way to an errand in the San Pedrito area and passed the specials board. I've been wanting to try the Tamalitos de Chaya for years! (I LOVE chaya - and need to find lots more ways to eat it. Especially since we have TREES of the stuff at the camp)

When we circled back, we parked and went in. El Fogon is named after the fire hearth - the traditional center of the Belizean kitchen. El Fogon spanish for Fire Hearth = Faya Haat in Creole They are still making their rice & beans and their stewed meats on the fire hearth. And the result is ridiculously good.

Salbutes that are SOOO good. The BEST conch fritters I've ever tasted. Seriously. Fluffy and conchy and not-oily and SO GOOD.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the San Pedro Scoop

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

One of the top ten things to do on San Pedro is getting a bite to eat at El Fogon. So Good, so Very Good....

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Lelo in the Field - El Fogon
Lelo goes to one of the top traditional restaurants on the island, El Fagon! This amazing spot located across the street from Tropic Air. Be sure to check it out.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Let's have lunch while we learn a little history about El Fogon.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Support our local, growing small businesses.
Our n
ew restaurant is now serving Belizean cuisine in the village of Sarteneja. Please visit EL FOGON next to Fabro's Clinic and enjoy our food and wonderful atmosphere.

- Ceviches
- Chicken Botana
- Burritos
- Salbutes
- Chicken W/Fried Rice
- Rice and Beans W/Stew Chicken
- Garnachas
- Chicken Wings
- Empanadas
- Desserts
Etc.

For more information please call 664-3059 or 623-0507.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.