Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#456699 - 01/29/13 02:40 PM Leroy Lewis Abandons National Selection
Marty Offline

Belize's National Team Loses Respectably To El Salvador

And while Belize’s National A-Selection has respectively departed from the tournament with much respect by the other Central American national teams, head coach Leroy Lewis announced over the weekend that he has decided to leave the team. The Costa Rican National was hired as head coach on October 3rd of last year and after four months on the job, Lewis announced yesterday that effective immediately he is no longer the head coach. In the post-game press conference, Lewis stated that he believes that Football Federation of Belize is not well structured and that there is no guarantee that it would change in the near future. Here are his words:

Leroy Lewis, Former National Coach

“Primeramente quiero agradecerles a todo los medios, que estuvieron juntos con el quipo Beliceño apoyándonos en todo momento y solo le puedo decirles a ustedes muchas gracias a la prensa Costa Rícense y a la prensa extranjera que me brindaron todo su apoyo y este es el último día con el equipo Beliceño y creo que en dos meses hemos hecho un trabajo satisfactorio, un trabajo serio, un trabajo responsable, pero si las estructuras de un federación, las estructuras de una liga no esta corte para sostener este programa yo no puedo seguir. Así es que les digo públicamente no continuare con Belice porque no hay garantía de que se va a mejorar, se va a ligas mejores, se va a dar licencias a entrenadores, tenemos un grupo escogido pero para sostener esto así es que señores muchas gracias otra vez. Fueron victimas de u torneo que si hay una buena intención de organizarlo bien pero sigo creyendo que jugar cada 48 horas en esta zona no es recomendable tal vez si hubiese más espacio para los equipos el espectáculo o los espectáculos hubiera sido mejor pero estuvo bien Salvador manejo más el partido y las piernas traicionaron a los dos equipos pero el resultado fue justo a favor al equipo salvadoreneo.”

Lewis has no signed contract with the FFB and in a press conference back in October, Lewis told the media that quote, “When you have mutual trust, you don’t have to sign no contract”, end quote. We will bring you the team’s reaction to this in tomorrow’s newscast. Allegations surrounding his resignation stem from difference of opinions in Costa Rica by FFB representatives and Lewis in regards to the team’s workout schedule. Additional friction is alleged by Leroy Lewis playing a defensive stand as opposed to an attack offense. But that’s not all, we understand that emails had been circulated as soon as Belize had qualified for the Copa Oro concerning the replacement of certain players with the present team with others who failed to qualify for the team. We will follow these allegations made by certain players of Belize’s National Selection and former coach Leroy Lewis in the days ahead.

CTV3

#456822 - 01/30/13 02:33 PM Re: Leroy Lewis Abandons National Selection [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
WILL COACH SHERRIER LEWIS RETURN TO THE NATIONAL TEAM?

The Gold Cup is a major challenge, and indications are that Belize’s National Team coach Le Roy Sherrier Lewis is not convinced that the FFB’s National Team Committee is ready to make the necessary inputs and adjustments needed for him to take the team to the next level, a requirement if we are to make an impact in the Gold Cup tournament which is only five months away.

The vibes we got from the players is that there is no turning back. We must work things out with coach Sherrier Lewis, who has demonstrated his commitment to excellence and whose strategic plan has placed the National Team program on the road to success.

Unfortunately, we were not able to get a first hand explanation from coach Sherrier Lewis of the concerns that prompted him to reportedly announce his relinquishing of the coaching job, and opt to remain with his family in Costa Rica

We asked FFB President Ruperto Vicente to comment on the situation regarding the tenure of coach Sherrrier Lewis in light of reports of his leaving the post. The President’s reply was, “I want the coach to continue the program. I’m waiting for him to respond to us; but I will discuss the details of the coach’s situation on Wednesday during our press conference. But certainly, we want the coach back.”

All the members of the National Team that we spoke to were overwhelmingly in favor of Sherrier Lewis’ return.

Elroy Smith summed it up best: “The coach is like a friend… He treats everybody on one level; he doesn’t try to feel like anybody is better than anybody else. He has a lot of discipline. A man like that is somebody that we always need around the team… I am 100% per cent with the man. To me, the coach is supposed to come back. He already started a process; he has to come back and maintain it. Because if another coach comes here, he will mess it up… This is a process that we have to maintain. We are already at a level right now with one coach; you bring a next coach, we will drop right back down to where we were. We are not here to go “backway”… If the President and the FFB want this thing to succeed, he has to come back.”

From all we can gather, our team is happy, our team is motivated, our team is producing, and our team is inspired with coach Le Roy Sherrier Lewis. Let’s work out the details and get back to work, serious work, on the road to Gold Cup 2013.

Amandala

=================================

FROM THE PUBLISHER

If you took this exact same Belize football selection and made Manuel Bilches the coach again, we would return to getting five and six from these Central American powerhouses. Because I believe that, the first thing I would say is that Ruperto Vicente and his team of FFB officials made a fabulous choice when they brought back Leroy Sherrier Lewis from Costa Rica to coach our selection.

Remember, some years ago Sherrier Lewis had achieved the most sensational result in the modern era of Belize when he brought us back from a 2-0 deficit and would have beaten Guatemala 3-2, but for a late and weak penalty call against us.

For that success, or better put, in the immediate aftermath of that success, he was fired by Dr. Bertie Chimilio, who was then in charge of the FFB. It didn’t make any sense then, and it makes even less sense now, when we’ve seen what Sherrier Lewis-coached teams can do.

Before I continue, I would say that between now and July, when the Belize selection flies to the Gold Cup in the United States, we have a lot of work to do. FFB officials like Luis Peña and Marlon Kuylen will have to do important fund-raising, because everything costs money, especially training, nutrition, and medical attention. It is the management structure which is the constant in championship teams: the playing personnel is a changing dynamic, even during the course of a game itself.

I will discuss management issues another time. For today, I want to consider what it is exactly that Sherrier Lewis has done. Remember, this is just a newspaper column, which is to say, personal opinion. But, the print and electronic media are very important components in the success of national football selections, because they insist on respect for merit and they openly criticize favoritism and other forms of discrimination. Men like Charles X Hyde and Marvin Ottley are football experts who have been featured on Press Cadogan/KREM’s Sunday morning sports show. For future improvement in the national selection to take place, the input of Channel 5’s James Adderly and LOVE’s Ruben Morales-Yglesias will be important. William Ysaguirre of The Reporter has also proven his dedication to the “beautiful game.”

In football, as in war, a general, when he is the underdog, has to play to his personnel’s strengths, rather than conventional theory, if he wants to beat the odds. All Central American selections are focused on control, touching, and pattern. Because they have invested so much money and time in their football programs, they have reached a level in those aspects of the game which it will take Belize years to achieve. What the control and the touching and the patterns seek to do is to impose order on the inherent disorder of the football field. With control, touches, and practiced patterns, the offence can bend the defence to its will, create space for its attacking initiatives, and violate the opponent’s goal.

Because Sherrier Lewis is not presently competitive where control, touching, and patterns are concerned, he has decided to approach matters differently. It appears that he has accepted the reality of disorder and encouraged his players to understand that there is only so much order that the opponent can impose with his control and touching and patterns. The opponent cannot impose infinite order. In every game, there will be moments of disorder when instinct and creativity and desire can conquer. The sensational success of the Sherrier Lewis philosophy took place on Tuesday versus Nicaragua, who clearly had the advantage in control and touching and patterns.

Belize, of course, cannot continue to concede advantages in control and touching and patterns to our opponents. We have to improve in these areas immediately, hence the importance of supporting football programs from childhood to maturity, hence the importance of management, hence the importance of funding.

Bilches was inflexible, and that is why his system did not work for Belize. Bilches didn’t use what he had to get what he wanted. He knew what classic, tactical football was about, and he wanted Belizean players to aim for that. The gap between us and our neighbors, however, was too wide for us to close in a day, or even a few years. The gap existed because we had been locked out of FIFA and because football here had been betrayed by football bureaucrats and the larger Belizean society over a period of decades. Consider. Football had actually reached such a state of betrayal in Belize that the MCC Garden, football shrine in the nation’s population center, was being trampled in bazaars and dances. Sacrilege!

Belize has to offer honorary or real citizenship to Sherrier Lewis immediately. This is business, and he will no doubt prefer something more tangible. But, this is something we can do quickly in order to show our appreciation for a man who was rejected by Chimilio and has now become the cornerstone under Vicente. Maximum respect, Mr. Leroy.

Amandala

#456929 - 01/31/13 02:39 PM Re: Leroy Lewis Abandons National Selection [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

FFB Will Keep Coach, Resignation Was All A Mix-Up!

On Monday, 7News told you about the troubling news circulating about Leroy Sherrier's abrupt departure as the coach of the Belize National Team.

It came as a surprise to the football community because after all, he just led the National Team to its first qualification for the Gold Cup, the best performance in Belize's history.

And the team was very vocal about their support for the coach, believing that a change would cause instability.

The executives from the Football Federation of Belize were also aware of that issue, and while trying to mend fences with the coach, they found that electronic mischief had caused a major miscommunication.

A bogus letter was sent to the FFB, which falsely claimed that Coach Sherrier owed 50,000 US dollars to the courts in the US. And then Sherrier had also agreed to have his performance reviewed. So, when he saw that FFB President Vicente arrived back in Costa Rica, and found that this letter had been sent to them, he thought the Vicente came to fire him.

So, he decided to resign first, and that's when the situation got out of control. It's a series of misunderstandings and Vicente told the media at a press conference today the miscommunication has been cleared up. He also asserted that the coach is returning to Belize to continue working for the progress of the sport.

Here's how he explained it:

Ruperto Vicente - President, FFB
"I have made my investigation. I called the Costa Rican Federation, to whom the letter was addressed, and there is no record of that. All the telephone numbers which are on that letter are non-functional, so it means that the letter is bogus. It is not real, and so, I spoke with the coach. I emailed him yesterday, and the Coach answered back. He said, 'Mr. Vicente, I'll be prepared to return to Belize, but here are my conditions.' And his conditions are not farfetched, and they are not out of the ordinary. He has declared that we do our best to ensure that the coaches for our top league are well trained. That is one. So, he will take on the task of training those coaches once back in Belize. The coach also said that each of the Semi-Pro teams should have a U-17, and a U-20 team attached to it, and certainly that is our plan. That is the reason that we're going to restructure the league. That is the plan that we already have. Thirdly, he said that he will be prepared to work with our national team for a salary of between $3,000 - $4,000 US per month, including lodging and meals. So, we're looking that kind of money to pay our coach. Now, looking at the results of our national team at the Copa Centroamericana, that gives the coach the negotiating power."

Sherrier is expected to arrive in Belize on February 11.

Channel 7

#459627 - 03/07/13 02:02 PM Re: Leroy Lewis Abandons National Selection [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

National Team Football Coach Gone, Again!

Tonight, 7News has confirmed that the National Team Coach, Leroy Sherrier, who was trying to mend fences with the football community in Belize, has decided to leave once again.

The last time he spoke to us, he had announced that he was in the very final stages of negotiating - and signing - a contract with the Football Federation of Belize where he would have been given security of tenure. Well, it seems that he could not come to an agreement with the National Team Committee, the body which exists separate from the FFB, and which governs the matters of the national team.

Reliable information to our newsroom is that while in negotiation with the Committee, Sherrier could not accept any contract drafts they presented because they allegedly put him at a disadvantage.

Well, the frustration built, and because FFB President Ruperto Vicente, who supports Sherrier, didn't want to meddle in the affairs of the committee, Sherrier walked. He reportedly left Belize today, and it has created a void, which the FFB will address in an emergency press conference tomorrow.

It is important to note that Sherrier had the full support of Vicente, who chose not to dictate to the Committee what the terms of the coach's contract should have been.

Vicente has reportedly offered Sherrier the option, if he should so choose - and while it is still available - to return to the post of head coach.

Channel 7

Football’s off and on and now off again coach

And the plane was not the only export that left Belize without a plan. Costa Rican Coach, Leroy Sherrier Lewis, in an abrupt decision, walked off his job this morning when he boarded a flight back to his home country.  The Gold Cup to be played in numerous U.S. cities is a few months away, but tonight the national football team is without a coach. News of Sherrier Lewis’ sudden departure took the local football world by storm since he was instrumental in leading the national selection to securing a berth in the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup in July.  This is Lewis’ second resignation in several weeks; the unsettled coach resigned from the team in late-January in the wake of Belize’s outstanding performance at the Copa Centro America Games.  His unannounced exit has left the Football Federation of Belize scrambling for a replacement, one which F.F.B. President Ruperto Vicente hopes to find in time for their preparations for the competition in Houston.

Ruperto Vicente, President, Football Federation of Belize

“This morning I was informed that the coach was seated at the bus terminal here in Belize City, you know, on his way to Costa Rica.  So I quickly went to the bus terminal to find out the reason for his departure, you know.  And he explained to me, and I had to accept his explanation, because that is his reason for leaving and I could not convince him to stay.  But I’m again leaving the door open for him to come back, you know, because I realize that the coach has done us well and we appreciate all that he’s done for Belize and we’d want to keep him but he’s chosen not to stay and to go back home and so I’ve gotta respect that, you know.  Tomorrow I will discuss the details of his departure during our press conference.”

Isani Cayetano

Ruperto Vicente

“Are you at liberty to, at least, give us an idea with having to go into great details about why he chose to leave at this particular point?”

Ruperto Vicente

“He, in summary, was saying that he is not comfortable, you know, and that there are some things that are disturbing him which are personal, he saids and for that reason he departed.”

Isani Cayetano

“How do you, as one, president and at large or in general, the football federation coping with seems to be some sort of erratic behavior on his part.  It’s not the first time that he has either tendered a resignation or just simply walked away from coaching the team?”

Ruperto Vicente

“Well, you know, I’ve gotta respect a man for what he believes and if he believes that he could not work with the national team at this time [then] I will have to respect that.  But I am very much concerned yes about the way he would walk off sometimes but that’s his nature and I’ve gotta respect that as well.  I was shaken up this morning but praise God I’m doing well.”

Isani Cayetano

“Have you guys considered the stability of looking into another option and looking for someone equally as competent or equally as knowledgeable about coaching and progressing the team to where it needs to be?”

Ruperto Vicente

“We have a lot of applicants for the job, you know, and we have a lot of people even after the games in Costa Rica we had a number of applicants for the job, but, you know, we had chosen to stay with coach Leroy.  But at this time he refuses to stay so we’ve gotta move on and we have to find somebody.  We have a lot of applications and we’re going to be reviewing those and invite those people for interviews and then have them proceed with the business of preparing the national team for the Goal Cup.”

The football community credits Sherrier Lewis for propelling the Belize team to new heights in FIFA rankings.  

Channel 5

#462557 - 04/17/13 11:57 AM Re: Leroy Lewis Abandons National Selection [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Former coach of Belize’s national Football team gives his side of the story

Leroy Sherrier Lewis; Former Coach of Belize’s National Team is back in Belize, but not for long. Sherrier was appointed as Belize’s National Team Coach in early October of last year. His appointment was brief, (being only six months) and was not without its theatrics. His recent trip back to Belize was not to coach though; rather he’s in the country to pick up a visa from the US Embassy. While here, Plus TV’s Raynard Garbutt; host of Sportzone, was able to secure an exclusive interview with the coach where he told all. During the hour long sit-down last night, Sherrier listed twelve things which sealed his final decision of walking away from his position as Coach of the National Team. One of those primary reasons was that he was not being treated professionally.

Leroy Sherrier Lewis – Former Coach of Belize’s National Team:
vlcsnap-2013-04-16-20h41m56s200When I came in from Costa Rica, the first time I think, because any part of the world the General Secretary and the President come to meet the coach.  The first time I came here it was Ornand, Vice-president of the Committee.  I say, boy where the President? He say, he occupied.  Where’s the vice-president? [He say,] he occupied.  It’s OK, no problem.  The second time I came back, Mr Kuylen come and receive me and Mr Peyna. I say, where the President or where the Vice-president.  No they occupied.  I say, boy I’m National Coach, and not being treated as a National Coach.
To come to Belize and work with  one thousand, five hundred US dollars. A National Coach.  One thousand, five hundred US dollars.  That’s what I was making. But I just want to do it, because I love it and I just want to give something to Belize.

Initially the picture was painted as if the problem started in Costa Rica but according to Sherrier the problem started before the National Team left for Costa Rica and things escalated while in Costa Rica.

They promised the players them to give them the stipend before every night in Costa Rica.  So Mr Ornand and Mr Dean decide [not to give them the stipend] there.  I say, no we were promised.
So when we start now, Ornand come in and say no.  The money we’re going to give them tomorrow after the game.So the promise is to give them the money the night.  So, then the problem start.  The good thing Mr Pelayo come up and say, we’re gonna give the boys the money as we promised them.  So Ornand get vexed.  Dean get vexed.  So Dean said, now you instigate.  I’m the leader of the players them.  They come to me, I’m not instigated them,. They tell me that what they need.  

Sherrier says that, that’s when his quandary started with the committee as they thought that he had instigated the matter which was the beginning of other problematic situations.

In every part of the world the Coach have 5 or 6 tickets.  I don’t have to beg the tickets.  The come and give me, this are your tickets.  Give them to anybody you want.  I have to behind Dean to get the tickets.  I have to behind Pelayo to get it.  So on day I get the tickets. I give to my son. My son was right sitting down in the VIP section.  So I think we lose a game, or make some bad change. Anything can happen.  When you’re a coach you make change, you intend to make a change and it come out bad.  So Mr Dean Flowers cursing, cursing and curse with me.  But even though I know my son was behind there.  But my son with his camera, he snapped the picture.  And he stop it and after the game he say, Pappy this guy was cursing.  I said this is the manager, man.  From that I said, Dean you did this and this and this.  If you have any concern, come and talk to me.  We have to go on the VIP and cursing in the public. 

You may remember that while in Costa Rica, allegations were made against Sherrier via a letter which in short said that he owed some 50,000 US dollars to the courts in the United States. He explained that scenario.

I used to work with the Costa Rican Federation. We can check a guy and he start to work with us, but he start to abuse, and the president let him go.  So he sent a bogus letter to the Belize Federation.  But when that letter come in, and Mr Vincente was honest with me, when he come and say, Coach, this and this happen.  How this go?  I explain to him what happen.  But he tell Pelayo.  Pelayo come to me.   Pelayo was very worried about it. 
So I said boy, I’s here and I think that all of us are running, going on the same road, though they bring up this letter,  So Mr Vincente call the Federation. I said, Vincente that no true.  Call the President in Costa Rica. So he call the President in Costa Rica.  The President in Costa Rica don’t know nothing at all about that man. So I said, boy things not right here. So when I resign, after I see that action, after see Dean action, when the last game, I said I’m not going back Belize. He say, why?  Because I don’t confident the President, and I don’t confident Dean, so better I don’t go back. 

And so, soaring off its qualification for the Gold Cup, Belize’s National Team returned home without Sherrier. Exactly four days later though, he would return to Belize upon an announcement made by the Federation. Sherrier spoke about why he had a change of heart.

Mr Vincente called me and sent a text,  He say, Coach I want you come back.  I say, Mr Vincente I will come back under certain conditions. But who make all the arrangements, and who make all the business was Mr Pelayo. So Mr Pelayo say, Leroy you want to come back because this and this, OK no problem. But my condition is this and this and this and this. Salary, OK, one four thousand American dollars, and  I pay all my sleeping and eating.  Or give me three thousand dollars, and you pay sleeping and eating.  And then I want to certify coaches,  I want a Youth Development programme start right now.  He say, OK Leroy, that is OK.  That’s why I come back.
When I came back, I think everything was ready.  But the important part of this now; so they say, Leroy  you have your plan.  I say, I have my plan ready, master plan.  OK, we gwan meet with the [National Team] committee. So I sit down with the committee.  The first question, we want to know what is your petition.  But I said, I talk to this guy already, I talk to Pelayo, agree, but he never have nothing ready with the Federation, or with the Committee. 
Vincente and Mr Kuylen say, this is what we will do.  We’re going to  give the Coach three thousand dollars, and we’re going to pay eating and sleeping.  And that is where we start work.  I present the plan, and start work, and then what come after.

What came after? Well, as you would know, Coach Leroy Sherrier Lewis would only coach the National Team for little over a month longer. Tomorrow, we will give you those details as to what were his determining factors to finally call it quits and return to Costa Rica.

PlusTV

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Papa John, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.