Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456546 01/27/13 02:34 PM
H
Hoover Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm putting together some tackle to bring down for shore fishing. Any recommendations? I don't plan to keep any fish, so stuff that works for a range of species would be most helpful.

never seen anything work like a fresh sardine!
You can buy them locally.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Elbert is correct. I've thrown too many to count at them with little success. The only way is the way is the local way. Buy a small bag of frozen sardines (Capt Sharks and most grocery stores carry them) for $1-2 BZ and then cut bait (shrimp really works great is more expensive but does not smell like those fragrant sardines). Bring #2 hooks and lots of weights with you. Fish without a bobber. You will have a blast.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
H
Hoover Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks.. kind of like cat fishing round here. Tight line and hope for the best.

K
K
Pack a few yellow/red 1/8oz shad darts, size 4 or 6. Tip them with shrimp pieces.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
H
Hoover Offline OP
OP Offline
H
How about leaders? I understand ocean fish can be kind of toothy.

S
S
First, if you don't plan on keeping what you catch, use circle hooks... a lot harder for the fish to swallow. A 3-4' leader of 50lb mono goes a long way (w/ anything other than a barracuda) ...if you're fishing w/ mono, 12-16 lb mono with said leader, circle hook rigged to sit 6 inches off the bottom and about 1/4-1/2 oz of weight and a piece of sardine or shrimp as bait will go a long way/catch a lot of stuff. Have fun!!!

H
Hoover Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks Jeff. I have it all but the leader, which I'll get there. Not much call for that heavy gear here in cenrtal Illinois. If I catch any lion fish I won't return them, but I wonder what to do with them after I kill them. Chuck them back in the water or what?

S
S
Lionfish you'll only really catch on spear as far as I know... if you do, keep 'em/fillet them as they are DELICIOUS. Cut the barbs off (carefully) before you fillet them and you should be all set... for extra precaution, you can toss them in a brine of ice water before hand (5 gallon bucket w/ ice water and a few cups of salt) and that supposedly neutralizes the toxin.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.