Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize boasts one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world. From the very stunning jaguars to the most timid tapir, Belize prides itself in the biodiversity that makes it a true world destination.  One of the creatures that we see daily but rarely notice is the bird.  Belize has about 587 species of birds and a number of those birds were on display at the Banquitas House of Culture today. The exhibit is called "Birds and Animals of Belize" and the exhibitioner is long time photographer, Noel Escalante from Belize City.  Our news team of Hipolito Novelo and cameraman Fernando Sanchez were on hand for the opening ceremony this morning and filed the following report.

Hipolito Novelo reporting�

For many the most popular known bird with significance would be will our national bird, the Keel-billed Toucan. But this portrait of the toucan is accompanied by 69 more portraits of Birds and Animals of Belize. Noel Escalante is the photographer behind the camera and has been for many years. Escalante took an interest in birds and other animals and put together this exhibition with its core focusing in Belize beautiful wildlife.

Noel Escalante, Photographer

"What can I tell you about birds? Well I sat down and wonder, "What do birds sleep? What do birds eat?" I mean we see them fly from day to day but nobody no really goes to find out. So I just had some curiosity. So I did some research and I found out that birds come to Belize all the way from Canada. So it poses a lot of question. So it provides a lot of research and education."

Now you might think that one click is enough to capture the perfect photo but according to Escalante it's not so; you must have patience and dedication for that photo to be just right.

"With birds it is very difficult to take a picture because a bird does not keep still very long. So you have to have a lot of patience and wake up early in the morning when the birds wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning and go to sleep at 4 o'clock. But it takes a steady hand because I do not use a tripod to take a picture of birds. I use a zoom because if you are taking a picture you want to use it close up. You don't want to see it from far from a limb. But it takes a very lot of patience and you have to be there at the time when the birds are in view."

Out of the 587 recorded birds in Belize, 20% are migrants from North America but this exhibition focuses on Belize's residential birds.

"I have taken pictures of Belize's resident birds which are prominent in the exhibition. I have also caught a few strange birds which I didn't even know existed but then I research and I found out.  I found out that there is a Cuckoo Bird. I always thought that there was only a Cuckoo in the clock but they are very common in Belize, I understand. I threw in a few animals. It is very hard to catch pictures of wild animal so I have a few and a few from the zoo but basically it is an exhibition about birds."

The exhibition will be opened to the public for the entire month of February.

CTV3

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Banquitas House of Culture hosts bird exhibition

Bird exhibition in Orange Walk

A photography exhibition has opened in Orange Walk town. Correspondent Dalila Ical has the details.

LOVETV

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.