Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457652 - 02/08/13 06:52 PM crocodiles
texasbill Offline
last trip we stayed t a villa on mosquito coast. we did see the crocs in the lagoon. however no one has said anything about crocs in the surf. one afternoon, looking seaward during a very heavy downpour i noticed a large object in the surf. it was moving reasonally fast, the propulsion could have been a combo of wind and tide. the rain made it impossible to pick out details. it had a profile similar to the alligators we have here in texas, a head area, a submerged center, then the tail visible. it may have been a log. i am bringing down my 3 year old granddaughter and we have to be very careful with children around water here, as they make wonderful gator candy. i know that published croc attacks are few and far between in the belieze press, but here on the texas coast shark attacks are published as fish bites and portuguese man of war stings are called jelly fish rashes. so what can you tell me? thanks tb

#457660 - 02/08/13 08:30 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: texasbill]
SimonB Offline
The Belize press would publish as many as they could if there were any, they like a good bucket of blood story.

I lived and worked with Crocodile researchers from Texas Tech for several years at Lamanai and the best they could put together were one by the Tollbridge in Orange Walk when I guy with a stringer of fish in the river was bitten on the leg and released, one where a crook jumped into the river to evade police in OW and was bit on the leg when he jumped on a Croc, one where a guide picked up a 3' foot Croc incorrectly and it spun and cut his leg open, one where a Croc whose territory we were invading bit the electric motor on our boat, one where a kid in the city jumped off an outhouse and supposedly died from a Croc attack but the autopsy showed that he'd hit his head and hadn't even been bitten. Since those days (10+ years) I've heard of one person on the island who was drunk, fell into the lagoon in the middle of the night and landed by a Croc and was bit and a guy who was drunk and decided to swim (or was persuaded to swim) in a canal on the back side which didn't end up well for him.

If you don't put your granddaughter in the water at night, at dawn and at dusk you'll be fine (their natural feeding time).

Unless fed by humans most Crocs are terrified of humans. This past summer I tried to get in the water and film a saltwater Croc out at Half Moon Caye and I couldn't get anywhere near it.

#457661 - 02/08/13 09:16 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: texasbill]
elbert Offline
Yep, not a realistic fear, I have been considering Scuba in the Mangrove/lagoon for underwater shots, might be pushing my luck, but they seem to just run away.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#457663 - 02/08/13 09:32 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: SimonB]
Short Offline
Simon, I know of another crocodile attack at Lamanai from a story that Barry Bowen told to me:

When Barry was still young he was involved in salvaging sunk mahogany wood from the lagoon at Lamanai. What they did was dive and look for tree trunks at the bottom of the lagoon, then they would hammer a nail in the tree trunk with a string and a balloon attached, so they could locate it from the surface and pull them out with a barge. One day when he was checking on the progress, he found his divers in shock on the shore and they absolutely refused to go back into the water. They had confused a crocodile with a tree trunk and had tried to hammer a nail into the animal. Needless to say that the crocodile got very violent, but luckily the divers escaped unharmed.
Live and let live

#457672 - 02/08/13 11:14 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: texasbill]
SimonB Offline

#457673 - 02/08/13 11:35 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: texasbill]
Homero Offline
We ran into one while biking around the back of Caye Caulker over just north of the airstrip on the East side when we were visiting two weeks ago. It was sunning itself on a log about 20 feet away when we saw it, but it slipped into the water and swam away once it noticed us. About 5 and a half feet. Definitely more scared of us.

#457674 - 02/08/13 11:39 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: Short]
Ernie B Offline
I think it was last year or the year before I was having coffee on the pier at Royal Palms and a crock was passing by, a big muther too. Never saw it again.
Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#457719 - 02/09/13 12:18 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: SimonB]
texasbill Offline

#457720 - 02/09/13 12:19 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: elbert]
texasbill Offline

#457721 - 02/09/13 12:20 PM Re: crocodiles [Re: elbert]
texasbill Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (SFJeff, 1 invisible), 52 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,710 Topics
461,236 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.