Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bad Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Information from another post leads me to believe that we are being overcharged for crews. Any thoughts?

The Original Bad Dog
My understanding is that captains get an average of $100 a day and cooks/crew get 100 a week. Dont quote me on it.

B
Bad Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi ya Silkpainter,
Reading from another thread that cooks aboard the dive boat that sank during Iris, they were paid 100US per week. We are being charged that per day!! Just cooking for two people. Plus providing food (for the skipper and cook) and cabins!?!

Do you still need printer refills? We would be happy to bring anything you need.

[This message has been edited by Bad Dog (edited 11-27-2001).]

The Original Bad Dog
I think $1000usd per week for the captain and $100bz a day for the cook is more realistic on a private charter.

Jim
C
C
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think it does give a useful reference point.

From todays Channel 5 news (the numbers are for a months wages):

"In the area of labour force participation, it's been shown that although unemployment is at eleven percent, the average income is eight hundred, thirty-five dollars today as opposed to six hundred and twenty-eight dollars in 1991."

If I understand the above correctly the average Belizean makes $5010 US per year, $100 US per week, $20 US per day, 2.5 US per hour.

Is that right? Seems pretty low for an average. Maybe they are counting the unemployed (IE 0 income) when finding the average?

B
Bad Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Silkpainter, Chris, and Pier Lounge thanks for your thoughts. We are not trying to be cheap, just questioned the amounts we have been quoted. For eight days, one captain and one cook we are being charged 3200.00Blz or 1600.00USD. (This is 100.00USD per day, per person) In addition to the labor charge we are paying for provisions for both. On another thread under Hurricane Info. someone stated that cooks made 100.00USD per week.

The Original Bad Dog
B
B
Just out of curiosity. Who are you chartering with? That would help answer your question. It would have to be TMM or Moorings I would guess. E-mail us and we will try to help if we can.

Mike & Dawn www.barefootwatersports.net
e-mail [email protected]

Depending on your needs, check with Peter at: //AmbergrisCaye.com/reefcrawl/

B
Bad Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Barefoot and Cap't. Marty,

Yes we booked with TMM though a land based broker in the US. First time for us chartering in Belize so I was not sure of the pricing. This is like locking the gate after horse ran off! LOL Stated above is the amounts being charged. Just got suspicious after reading the thread about the dive boat that sank during Iris. Stated there cook made 100US. Please understand we are not trying to be cheap, just don't care for being ripped.
See you soon!
Shawn

The Original Bad Dog

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 101 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.