Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

World Famous Chicken Drop, San Pedro, Belize

Chicken security, bring me my CHICKEN!

That's a sentence that only makes sense if you're in a hyperbolic parallel universe or in San Pedro, Belize.

San Pedro has made a fun tradition of gambling on chicken poop.� Yes� you bet on a spot where you hope the chicken will poop and win you some money.� $100 BZD to be exact.

The game, which is hosted every Thursday starting at 7:00pm at Wahoo's Lounge, looks almost like a bingo game without the golden age crowd and with a lot more booze.

As a player, you bet on a number between 1 and 100, and the rest is up to the chicken.� All you have to is cheer and lure the chicken to "drop" on your number.

Now, here's how the game goes�

You buy your ticket for any of the 5 Chicken Drop rounds of the night - starting at 7:00pm and following every half hour. Tickets cost $1BZD and are up for sale from 6:00pm.

Once the Chicken Drop round which you bought tickets for is about to start, you find a spot near the ring to cheer for the chicken.

The host and crowd get ready to start the "show".

A volunteer is selected from the crowd to do the honors of shaking the chicken. He calls for the chicken with the phrase; "Chichen security, bring me my chicken!".

The volunteer swirl and shake the chicken before putting, or throwing, it inside the ring�

But, before putting it inside the ring, he has to blow the chicken's rear. Maybe to stimulate it?!

The crowd cheers and screams to the chicken to lure it to the number they bet. The only rule they have is that you cannot touch the chicken.

Some contestants even use corn to lure the chicken to their spot and to stimulate them to poop.

Sometimes the chickens are not in the mood of pooping, so that's when they use their chicken backups. The whole swirl, shake, and blow ritual is also performed with the backup chicken.

The chicken poops and the crowd celebrate! Especially the winner� the owner of spot #48.

But, before the winner can claim his $100 BZD, he has to clean the "drop"!

Without a doubt this is an interesting game that has become part of the pop culture of San Pedro. �Below is a video that shows the Chicken Drop in action.

Globotreks.com

San Pedro's Famous Chicken Drop -- Where the inebriated cheer for chicken turd

Have you ever heard of a chicken drop? Possibly not. I know the RSPCA would be all over it if we had such a thing in Australia. But every Thursday night in San Pedro, Belize the chicken drop draws a crowd.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

VIDEO of Chicken Drop

Famous Chicken Drop @ Wahoo's Lounge in San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Belize

Everyone from around the world comes to witness the famous chicken drop at Wahoo's Lounge held every Thursday. Tickets starts selling @ 5:30 and first game @ 7pm. every 20 minutes.

Chicken Sh*t Bingo aka Chicken Drop - San Pedro, Belize

When I heard this was going down tonight I had to attend! There are multiple rounds and strict rules but the gist of the game is hold a chicken, move it around in big circles, move it up and down, "fluff" or blow gently on their tuckas and then set them down on the game board and hope the chicken poops on your number (or like this chicken did and go across two numbers at once 9 & 100) the lucky winner(s) has to take tissue and wipe off their number and take it to the bar to claim their winnings! People chant, scare, call and feed the chicken to entice them closer to their number. First for everything and I even saw a big chicken take down a huge cockroach!

BELIZE CHICKEN GAMBLING

chicken drop booty blow gambling...

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Nice video...

Video: Chicken Drop San Pedro, Belize

We were told the Chicken Drop at Wahoo is a must do here in San Pedro, Belize. Check it out for yourself! Let us know what you think. Let's just say it was a night to remember and by far not something you experience everyday. haha

S
S
I have been coming to San Pedro for over 10yrs and we often go and enjoy the chicken drop even won a couple of times. I have to say that this was my last time. I brought my son and his 3 friends for a fun night. What I saw was an emaciated chicken (coconut cream) being terrorized by a bunch of drunks. they were snapping their fingers in the chickens face, clapping loudly close to her beak and their girlfriends were kicking sand at the chicken. I have been in the past and it is fun, but this crowd was just abusing the animal and no one was doing anything about it, there were young kids there and the parents took them out of the area. This went on for 20 minutes I asked them to stop and they told me to lighten up its just a stupid chicken. No they were not locals.

Gambling is not allowed on the island, now is it. smile

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Chicken Drop Contest in Belize at Wahoo's
World-Famous Chicken Drop is a MUST-SEE Attraction in Belize (San Pedro)

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Did you know the world-famous Chicken Drop has a new home?

Wahoo's Lounge, home of the world-famous Chicken Drop, has relocated from downtown San Pedro to Corona del Mar Hotel south of town. Chicken Drop is one of the island's oldest and most famous traditions. Held every Thursday, it guarantees a fun time with friends and family while offering the opportunity for you to win some cash. Wahoo's new location by Corona del Mar offers plenty of space, a swimming pool, and a stunning beach and sea view. Their staff is attentive, with a fully stocked bar, delicious food, and an assortment of entertainment throughout the week.

What is Chicken Drop? If you did not know, it's a fun gambling game based on when and where a chicken will "drop" (poop). The game usually starts around 5PM and is played on a large bingo-like board. To participate, you purchase a ticket from the Wahoo's Lounge staff and bet on a number between 1 and 100. To win the cash prize, the chicken must "drop" on one of the numbers. The crowd encourages the chicken to drop with loud cheers, and you will join in the noise because you want the chicken to drop on the number you bet. One of the rules you cannot forget is that you can only cheer but can't touch the chicken.

Finally, the chicken drops on a number, the crowd goes wild, and someone cheerfully celebrates their winnings. The prize is usually $100 or sometimes higher, depending on the bet. But before the winner collects his cash prize, they must remove the 'drop' from the board. They are graciously handed a tissue to complete the job. The game takes a pause; a Deejay plays music while the crowd mingles around the bar and beach. There are around five round chicken drops throughout the evening, each taking place every hour.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the My Beautiful Belize Blog

=======================

[Linked Image]

San Pedro's World-Famous Chicken Drop Moves Location

Here's what I like:

• They start the Chicken Drops as soon as the tickets are sold out. So that you are not waiting FOREVER for the chicken drop to happen. I remember waiting an hour�more�for the event to start after I got my ticket. (Though if you buy a ticket for the $1000 drop, you'll have to wait a bit for that event)
  • There's so much more room to stand, to sit, the long bar has lots of seating
  • It's mostly kid friendly. Unless you object to the word: shit. You'll hear the phrase "shit happens" quite a bit from the DJ.
  • They've got some great merch - fun t-shirts like the one with the logo and CHICKEN SECURITY on the back. Really cute shirts - this is where the money is!

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Scoop

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.