FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The February 10th, 2013 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Father And Son Facing Joint Burglary Charge:
    A father and son, caught in the act of burglary, are today out on a three thousand dollar bail each after appearing in the Belmopan Court room of magistrate Linsbert Willis. The information reaching us indicated that at around 3:00 pm on Thursday, January 31, 2013, Georgeville police reportedly received an emergency call from Leopold Mai, Belizean caretaker at Maya Ranch Farm located in the village. Mai reported that two male persons, of Hispanic descent, arrived at the farm in a white pickup truck, broke the lock attached to the farm storeroom and were in the process of removing items from the building when he found them in the act.
  • Burglary in Buena Vista:
    Police are this week reporting the solving of another burglary this one in the village of Buena Vista on the outskirt of the Mennonite community of Spanish Lookout. At around 2:00 pm on Saturday, February 2, 2013, the policeman stationed in Spanish Lookout received information of a burglary in progress in Buena Vista Village. The policeman rushed to the scene where he met the complainant Ramon Coronado who told the police that his house was burglarized and that he knew who committed the crime. Armed with this information, police visited the Buena Vista home of Victor Alfonso Limas. The suspect was reportedly found in bed where he was informed of the report made against him. He was detained and transported to the sub-station in Spanish Lookout.
  • Sacred Heart College Auditorium Finally Becoming A Reality:
    After fundraising for many years Sacred Heart College has officially commenced construction of a 100X200 feet, state of the art multi-purpose facility which is expected to be completed in time for graduation in June. President of Sacred Heart College, Dr. Eve Aird, informed that reaching the ground breaking stage has been slow and painstaking. Dr. Aird informed that it took over six years to gather enough funds to start the project that is to become a major facility for sports and other social activities at Sacred Heart College. The auditorium which is estimated to cost over 2 million dollars was designed by Mr. Lennox Bradley, Chief Engineer in the Ministry of Works, himself a former student of the college. The facility will be constructed to withstand a category 4 hurricane. It will be pressed into service as a hurricane shelter. Upon completion the facility will house a grand stage for the performing arts, kitchen area and offices.
  • Theft Of Haitian Relief Funds By The Red Cross On Third Earthquake Anniversary:
    Three years ago, an international expression of caring went out to Haiti in the aftermath of the earthquake that devastated the nation. Belizeans responded with open hearts, giving what they could. The major focal point in Belize for collection of donations was the Belize Red Cross despite information surfacing that the Red Cross money did not always get to where it was supposed to go. We wrote the media and called the talk shows about the The Red Cross and offering an alternative way to donate, the Haiti Emergency Relief Fund (HERF). It was founded in March 2004 by Harry Belafonte and Danny Glover and worked to address the crisis of the earthquake as well as giving concrete aid to Haiti’s grassroots democratic movement supporting the long-run development of human rights, sustainable agriculture and economic justice in Haiti.
  • Michael Flowers – Taking Complaints For The Ombudsman Office:
    I would like to take this opportunity to inform readers that over the past two years I, Michael Flowers of #16 Carmen Street, Santa Elena, Cayo, has been authorized by the Office of the Ombudsman to record and forward complaints to that office. The Ombudsman at that time, Ms. Cynthia Pitts, has since retired and a new Ombudsman in the person of Mr. Lionel Arzu was recently appointed to fill the vacant post. This letter serves to inform under the auspices of the new Ombudsman, I have been re-appointed to continue providing this service to the people in all of the three office locations where my business is operated. I consider it a great privilege to be able to assist those persons with complaints that they believe could be handled by the office of the Ombudsman.
  • Mexico Hunts Acapulco Spanish Tourist Rape Gang:
    Mexican authorities say they are determined to capture those responsible for the rape of six Spanish women near the holiday resort of Acapulco. Masked gunmen burst into a rented beach house on Monday, tied up and held at gunpoint six Spanish men as they attacked the women for several hours. A seventh woman escaped after telling the attackers she was a Mexican. Acapulco is one of Mexico's most famous beach resorts, but it has recently suffered from drug-related violence.
  • From Your Valentine:
    month of February has millions across the world presenting their loved ones with candy, flowers, chocolates and other lovely gifts. In many countries, restaurants and eateries are seen to be filled with couples who are eager to celebrate their relationship and the joy of their togetherness through delicious cuisines. There hardly seems to be a young man or woman who is not keen to make the most of the day. The reason behind all of this is a kindly cleric named Valentine who died more than a thousand years ago. It is not exactly known why the 14th of February is known as Valentine's Day or if the noble Valentine really had any relation to this day. The history of Valentine's Day is impossible to be obtained from any archive and the veil of centuries gone by has made the origin behind this day more difficult to trace. It is only some legends that are our source for the history of Valentine's Day.
  • Hemispheres: “Three Perfect Days In Belize”:
    Belize has received the prestigious honor of being featured in the February 2013 issue of the United Airlines in-flight magazine, Hemispheres. Belize was chosen for the “Three Perfect Days” article, and is also featured on the cover of the magazine. To capture the hill authentic Belizean experience, the twelve page spread features a myriad of adventures and gives readers a peek at just what sets Belize apart; the people, culture, food, and landscapes are just a snapshot of what makes Belize the ideal tourist destination. Joe Keohane and Al Argueta take readers on a journey into the heart of Central America, Belize.
  • Nine-year-old Girl In Mexico Gives Birth To Baby Girl:
    A 9-year-old girl in Mexico has given birth to a baby girl, Agence France- Presse reported Wednesday. Authorities are now hunting for the 17-year-old father in what they believe is a case of rape or sexual abuse, Mexican newspaper Milenio reported. “We are looking for the young man to get his story because she does not understand what has happened. This is a rape or child sex abuse case,” Jorge Villasenor with the state prosecutors’ office was quoted by Terra Noticias as saying. The girl, who has been identified as Dafne, was just over 8 when she got pregnant, the mother of the girl told local officials in the western state of Jalisco, AFP reported.
  • University of Belize appoints Internal Auditor:
    The Office of the President of the University of Belize, Dr. Cary Fraser is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Dudley Heredia, MBA, as Internal Auditor of the University of Belize. Mr. Heredia’s appointment will serve to strengthen the management structure within the University and his role will focus upon ensuring that there is a continuous process of evaluation of institutional performance.
  • Launching Of Belize Cancer Society San Ignacio Branch:
    The Belize cancer Society is pleased to announce the official launching of the Belize Cancer Society -San Ignacio Branch under the dynamic leadership of Mrs. Flora Usher and a team of dedicated committee members. The launch of the San Ignacio Branch is an important activity for the Cancer Society. The inauguration of the San Ignacio Branch signals to the community that the Belize Cancer Society is working to fulfill its mandate to advocate, educate, provide evidence based guidance, and promote the awareness,prevention and treatment of Cancer for the benefit of those affected and their families. The San Ignacio Branch of the Belize Cancer Society will provide opportunities to share information on lifestyle changes and services that support cancer prevention and control in Belize.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

The San Pedro Sun

Doctor Love: Alone Again
A young 19yr old is afraid that being turned off by sloppy kissers means she'll be alone again after 5 attempts. What would the good Doctor say to that?

Daddy Rocks Nightclub Management responds to story on stabbing incident
Over a week and a half ago a tragedy took place in the community that must be clarified and explained. I know many people here in our fine town have heard many reports from several newspapers and media outlets as to what occurred, however I would like to set the record straight as the real events, because the truth will help get rid of this offensive gossip that has caused a lot of damage to not only my business, but to others in San Pedro. It has been stated by one media source that there was no explanation as to how the “knife” that killed this young man was able to get into my establishment. However, this is simply not true; because the people who committed this heinous act pushed their way past the security team and were not able to be searched, which is standard operating procedure; had they not acted violently toward our security team. After the perpetrators of the crime by-passed the security team, the police were immediately called, however the murder took place in such a short amount of time, the authorities could not respond in time to prevent this murder from taking place.

Wolfe’s Woofers: Confessions
A husband asks his wife to share some intimate details of her love life, and her confessions are probably not what he expected.

MELTing the day away in cheesy-paradise…
Several years ago musician and self-professed beach-bum Jimmy Buffet, who once was a mainstay on Ambergris Caye, penned a song dedicated to cheeseburgers in paradise. Although there’s no telling if he found the inspiration for his song while visiting our island home, there is a new sandwich café in San Pedro that calls for a re-write of the once popular jingle…perhaps something that goes like: Grilled cheese sandwich in paradise (paradise) MELTing the days away with a Gouda Buddha slice (paradise) Especially loving the Green Acres to be precise (paradise) Forget the burger, forget the rice, I’m just a Royal With Cheese in paradise…

Carnaval 2013 Kicks Off in San Pedro
This year’s Carnaval promises to be the best one yet! With a fantastic opening ceremony on the night of February 9th, school groups and dance groups entertained the crowd at Central Park with colorful performances and presentations. The fun continues through Tuesday the 12th with comparsas, painting and more performances.

Misc Belizean Sources

Guatemala's attitude will scare Belizeans and they might vote no to the ICJ
By Wellington C. Ramos The more the country of Guatemala continues with its map, rhetoric and aggressive attitude towards Belize, the lower the chances are that Belizeans will support the government with a yes vote to take the Belize-Guatemala dispute to the International Court of Justice for final resolution I agree with Maurice that our country has failed miserably in educating our people about this conflict. In the beginning of this ICJ proposal, I was very supportive of taking this matter to the court but now I am giving it a second thought. I am not convinced that we can trust the UN, OAS, Guatemala and any other organization to guarantee our security and territorial integrity because many court rulings have been made in the past and countries still act in their best interest ignoring them. Plus there are many Belizeans who have mixed feelings about this dispute because some of them have relatives in Guatemala and others are doubtful about Belizeans legitimate claim to Belize. Due to the failure of our governments to educate our people about this dispute, I have heard many Belizeans tell me that Belize does belong to Guatemala. It hurts me when I hear a Guatemalan saying "Belice is Nuestros" and worst when a Belizean is saying that our country does belong to Guatemala.

Strings of Love Ad
The Strings of Love Concert will be Friday the 15th at the Cayo Welcome Center, and they are looking for guitar players for the event.

CACHE Retreat Pictures
CACHE had their retreat recently to do stratgic planning for 2013. "The Community of Artists for Cultural & Historical Endevours, held its annual planning retreat to focus on community activites for 2013, promoting beauty and goodness through Arts, Culture & History. If you want to become a member of this dynamic group,visit us soon."

Blogs

A Tale of Five Cities: Route Reversal (Part 1)
We had not made any hotel reservations for the return trip from San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico to Belize as we thought we'd see how things went with the buses and which cities we liked best in order to determine how best to travel home. Originally we'd planned to arrive back in San Pedro on Tuesday, December 18th, but that would have meant a couple of very long bus legs. Since we were able to extend Paisley's stay at Pampered Paws for two days (thanks Kathy!), we decided to return on the 20th instead. This gave us the chance to spend one more night in each of the cities we'd visited on the way to San Cristobal and avoided any 8+ hour bus rides. We had determined that 5+ hours was plenty to be sitting in a bus. Before we embarked on our journey home, we knew we should get a hotel reservation in Tulum. It's the most touristy place we'd be staying, and since the end of the Mayan calendar was fast approaching on December 21, we figured it would be a zoo on December 19. Fortunately, we were able to book the last available room at Secret Garden Hotel, the place we'd stayed at the beginning of our trip. Relief! We did not pre-book any other hotels for our return journey as we thought we'd be okay walking in off the street in the less touristy cities, and that did prove to be the case.

Breakfast at Mesa Café
Today’s post is a great San Pedro restaurant review for Mesa Café with pictures by Junior blogger Nina Kumar. As I was loading her write up into wordpress it was totally made me hungry, snce they are closed Sunday’s it’s a good thing Dennis just finished making our fruit smoothies. Today we are having watermelon, papaya, strawberry, and soursop. He fortified it with with maca root from Peru, moringa powder & chia seeds from Sol Farms in Teakettle Belize and hemp seeds from Go Nature our island health food store. On my birthday, my parents surprised me with breakfast at Mesa Café. Not knowing where we were headed I just got on the cart and went along for the ride. When we arrived at Mesa I got very excited. My parents and I love going there for breakfast and lunch. When we got there, without hesitation I ordered my favorite breakfast dish, the Coconut French Toast. There is something different about Chef Zoe’s French toast. While some people’s French toast might leave you feeling like going back to bed is an option, she make’s hers sweet but light enough for you to finish. My mom had the Chorizo Scramble (an omelet with chorizo, roasted bell pepper and fresh pico de gallo) and my dad had the Scotch Eggs. Mesa Café, I think, serves up a mean Scotch egg. A scotch egg is a boiled egg wrapped in sausage then breaded and fried.

8 Most Beautiful Islands in Belize
Belize has roughly 386 km of coastline and approximately 450 islands and islets that stud the Belize barrier reef – the largest in the western hemisphere. The islands are known as cayes, pronounced “keys” and the most popular ones are Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. If you are looking for a soul-stirring experience, below are eight exquisite and picturesque islands to visit in Belize:

The Way It Is
In yesterday’s edition I mentioned that today Rose andI were going to make a visit to take a look at our lots of land in Fire Coral Street, San Pablo following the clearance work that Daniel Camal, our building contractor for our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize, has started to have carried out. Well early this afternoon (had to get my televised ‘fix’ of football first) that is exactly what we did. Those of you that have been following the blog for awhile will remember that I covered the lots in an edition at the beginning of the year. For those of you that didn’t see this edition I reproduce some of the photos to show ‘the before’. Work has virtually been completed – need to uplift the scrub and general rubbish – on two of the three lots with work yet to start on the third lot. The difference in appearance though was very clear to see.

International Sources

Belize Snapshot: Silk Cayes View
Doesn’t this look like it was taken out of a postcard or a “Corona Extra” commercial? I was left dumbstruck by the beauty of this small cay that barely has a population of 15 to 20 palms. This cay is located about 21 miles from Placencia and it is a great place to go snorkeling and scuba diving as the waters are very clear, the corals are colorful, and the fish variety is immense; including sharks, stingrays, barracudas, eels, lobsters, and many kinds of fish species. During the past week I visited the Silk Cayes 3 times as I was doing my Advanced Diver Certification. I must admit that even with its small size, during every visit I found new things to look at and enjoy, whether it was above the surface or under it. This is close to paradise!

Using News To Manipulate
This old clip shows CIA officials admitting the agency’s infiltration of mainstream media in order to influence public opinion and to manipulate the thoughts and values of Americans. Did things change since 1975? Nope. Actually, things are much worse as the merger of media companies into a very small number of mega-conglomerates made the “filtering” of information even easier. The input of governmental sources such as the CIA and the Pentagon into news stories is now a fully integrated process and has even spread into entertainment, using TV shows and movies.

Our Life, Our Lands -- Respect Maya Land Rights
In Southern Belize, Sarstoon Temash National Park holds within its 42,000 acres the most pristine rainforest in the country. Its primary forests have been attributed by National Geographic as remnants of the ancient Maya's agroforestry systems, and today continue to be sustainably maintained by the Maya peoples of Southern Belize. The Supreme Court of Belize ruled in 2007 and again in 2010 that the Maya who have ancestrally cared for these forests shall hold the legal titles to these lands. This court ruling, along with national and international laws, mandates that Indigenous Peoples must give their Free, Prior and Informed Consent before any development project that may affect them. But that right has been trampled on again and again by the Texas-based oil company US Capital Energy, which received a concession from the Belize government to extract oil in Southern Belize beginning in 2001. In further flagrant violation of the Maya land rights under national law, the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and recommendations by the Inter American Human Rights Commission, the government has now granted the oil company permits to move to the second phase of exploratory drilling in the park and on Indigenous territories. US Capital Energy has so far cut over 200 miles of seismic trails for oil exploration in the national park and on communities' traditional lands, also causing forest fires destroying 400 acres, including the unique ecosystem of the sphagnum moss, the last of its kind in Central America. The 21,000 Indigenous people in the region are fighting to defend their traditional lands, including the national treasure of the Sarstoon Temash National Park, against this short-sighted land grab. As Gregory Ch'oc of the Sarstoon Temash Institute for Indigenous Management explains, "The government is counting on our regional isolation, our poverty, and our relative lack of power to continue marginalizing and discriminating against us and violating our rights. Therefore, we are urgently calling allies of the earth's biodiversity and Indigenous Peoples to take a stand with us and support our struggle."