Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Doctor Love: Ultimatum
A 26 year old woman is giving her 28 year old boyfriend an ultimatum: Marriage and Kids, or the highway. He's not reacting. Now what?

Police claim alcohol abuse is cause of death of Luis “Hule” Daniels
Luis-HULE-DanielsLate last year, the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) and the Police Department, working along with substance abuse advocacy groups, made a decision to round up members of the community and incorporate them into a rehabilitation program. It was a decision made in an effort to reach out to those members who have been taken over by alcohol and drugs and whose health was deteriorating because of substance abuse. 57 year-old island resident Luis Junior Daniels, AKA ‘Hule’, was one such individual. On February 9th Daniels succumbed to his alcohol addiction when he died of cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol abuse. Sometime before 2PM on Saturday the 9th, the body of well known “Hule” was found on the first floor steps of a concrete three storage building located on the beach behind the San Pedro Town Council building. The body was found in an advanced stage of decomposition and had to be quickly removed to an isolated area for an onsite postmortem examination. The deceased is originally from the Corozal Town but had been living at an unfixed address in the San Pedrito area in San Pedro. Daniels was unemployed and many that knew him were aware of his struggles with alcohol addiction. Doctor Giovanni Solorzano certified his death as being cirrhosis of the liver. Cirrhosis is a deadly disease which can be caused by a number of factors, including years of heavy drinking.

Wolfe’s Woofer: A Room for the Night
Mark sleeps through the night in a hotel room with a snorer the way only a Worthington would - using wit and brains.

Miss (Linda) Blease – spinning to the top
MBB: You grew up in Caye Caulker, but now live in the city (kindly confirm) and travel quite a bit with your (amazing) deejay career. A lot of people grow up in a small place, and head out searching for a better life. You have succeeded in so many ways, creating a path where there was none, and making big strides for yourself. Bravo! How does a Caye Caulker chick do it? Linda: Thank you very much, yuh made me feel like I da like supawoman jus now *chuckles*. Yes I did grow up in Caye Caulker; that is my home ground. I’ve never been someone who felt that the world was this HUGE AND DIFFICULT place to live in. I always believed in the idea of six (6) points of separation, which implies that everyone is only six (6) similarities away from the other person. I think that perspective helps me to zone in and focus on what I want and head towards that angle, building my way there, improving in the process, and gaining a lot of loyal friends all over the world, especially in the entertainment business. Anywhere you go people appreciate hard work; I think I am a hard worker. I also feel that some people in smaller populated and unexposed countries like Belize underestimate their pull and the value of being a professional in this country – in succeeding in this country in whatever they are pursuing. I never felt “you have to leave to ‘make it’.” I guess it’s peoples’ glamorous impression of what they see worldwide that blinds them to success in their own country. When you are in a bigger industry or country, it is harder for you to meet the right people and it is a harder struggle to get where you want to. Unlike in Belize where you have an easier time getting established in your profession, thus building a solid portfolio and value. After that the rest is all publicity and exposure. Read more: Miss (Linda) Blease - spinning to the top - My Beautiful Belize Follow us: @MyBeautifulBze on Twitter | MyBeautifulBelize on Facebook

Misc Belizean Sources

Rotary Finishes Bathrooms at Eden and St. Andrews
Feelgood news of the day. Thanks, Rotary, for doing so much for the Cayo community! "On the last two weekends members of the Rotary Club of San Ignacio as well as teachers, parents and other volonteers painted the two brand new bathroom facilities at Eden SDA Primary School and St. Andrews Anglican School that are about to be finished very soon. These modern toilet blocks will serve approximately 900 students and were built with the generous funding of Canadian Rotarians, the Rotary Foundation and with local contributions. The projects have a total volume of almost 110.000 BZ$ and are managed by the Rotary Club of San Ignacio. The two structures are numbers 6 and 7 in a row of bathrooms that were built for Cayo schools during the last years."

Night of Expressive Talents
It was a spectacular turn out for the night of music, poetry, and artistic expression at the Soul Project Friday night. Lyric Nation, from Belmopan, recited some deep poetry. There were many singers and guitarists throughout the night on the stage. Emmanuel Mangar, Catherine Garnett, Peter Enriquez, the Blue Grass Dudes, and many more. Thank you, Soul Project, for doing it right, and bringing culture, art, and great music to Cayo.

Playful prank or malicious intent?
See that black fishing line in the photo above? It looks pretty innocuous, right? Like it couldn't hurt a flea. I can only assume that that is what a prankster thought when he strung it tightly across the cart path up near Indigo and Grand Belizean Estates this morning. It was a splendid Sunday morning after a cold front passed through Belize yesterday. Bright sunshine, low humidity, and a moderate north breeze made for a perfect morning for bicycling. We rode north up the beach in great spirits. I even sighted and stopped to snap a photo of this Black-Headed Trogan right by the White Sands Dive Shop. I couldn't believe how close he let me get. I wish you could see his distinctive light-blue eye in this photo. With Indigo condominiums up ahead, we turned sharply left and rounded the curve on the cart path, heading to Grand Belizean Estates. Before I could even process what was happening, I heard Barry yell out "woah" or something similar. I was close behind him, and almost right as I heard him yell, I felt something hit me full-on in the face. It stopped me and my bike immediately in my tracks, and the next thing I knew, I crashed down on my right side (the same side I went down on and fractured my pelvis when road riding in North Carolina in 2005). Moments later, we realized what had happened. Some Darwin-award contender had strung a piece of strong black braided fishing line tautly across the path, a booby-trap for anyone coming by with any speed at all. Since Barry has flat bars on his bike, he was leaning slightly forward, so he hit the line right above the brim of his ball cap, which thankfully he was wearing or his scalp would have been hit full on. I, on the other hand, was sitting upright. And before he could warn me, the line caught me right across the mouth. It did not break the skin, but it stung like a sonofagun. And I was banged up from the fall as the sand is very hard there.

Turn up the Heat please
I am finding it hard to believe the current temperature is 72.8f or 22.6c, it feels much colder inside and that is with most of our windows closed. I am wearing a thick hoodie, jeans and socks, hoping it will be warmer out in the sun when we go to town later. Dennis and I are preparing for a food cleanse this week and while we are both looking forward to it, we have both been bad and are not wanting to give up all the junk food we have been enjoying. As you can see by the 3 pics I chose today I totally have food on the brain big time. Trying to convince Dennis and Paul to go to Estel’s for breakfast and bacon talk not doing as well as I had hoped, in fact it only seem to be making me hungrier and having no effect on the boys ha ha.

Jaw Dropping Photography from Around Belize
Here is a gallery of gorgeous photographs from around Belize. Which photo is your favorite?

Bang Bang
Woke this morning much, much later than normal. The consequence of going on a Poker Run last night when we were joined by Frank, visiting Ambergris Caye for the weekend from his regular base of Price Barracks (Frank is serving a three year posting as a member of BATSUB). It took a couple of hours to feel like I had rejoined the land of the living. Felt a lot better but still not quite firing on all cylinders. Rose felt the same way too. Neither one of us is equipped to keep up with an army guy when they go for a beer. To clear the cobwebs we decided to take a drive to see how much more the guys had done on our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize after we had left them yesterday afternoon. The drive there felt invigorating because there was a chilly breeze. When we got there it was good to be able to walk around freely and not have to worry if we were standing in the wrong place and disrupting the workflow. It also meant that we could get to areas that we hadn’t been able to access the previous day. For example to see the veranda wall that they had started to lay on the northern side of the First Floor.

International Sources

India gifts 50 computers to college in Belize
India has presented 50 computers to St. John's College in Belize City, the largest city in this Central American nation, a "timely gesture", a college official said, that would help the institution realise its dreams of becoming the premier educational institution in the country. Indian ambassador to Mexico Sujan R Chinoy, who is also the high commissioner to Belize, made a major donation of 50 computers and related peripherals to the St. John's on February 14, said a statement. The assistance was given under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme, to establish the "India-Belize Friendship Computer Centre". Addressing those gathered on the occasion at the Fordyce Memorial Chapel, Chinoy said: "India extends assistance to friendly countries with whom we have good relations, and countries like Belize with which we want to deepen our engagement, including at the people to people level."

Chocolate Festival of Belize, May 23 - 28, 2013
Belize describes itself as “Mother Nature’s Best Kept Secret!” With a population of just over 300,000 and around 40% of its land area under protected status, Belize is a hidden gem in Central America. Sparsely populated and ethnically diverse, the country is rich in natural wonders from the barrier reef and coastalcayes to the Maya Mountains and inland rainforest. The southern district of Toledo is the Mayan heartland of Belize and the home of cacao (cocoa) from which chocolate is produced. This is the seventh year in which the people of Toledo and Belize join to celebrate the history and tradition of chocolate making and its contribution to the livelihoods of the Mayan farmers.