Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#458752 02/24/13 10:36 AM
OP Offline
WOW! While the hubby and I were having coffee on the veranda this morning, we saw a large cat 40 lbs. trot through the back yard. I saw spots, so we are still debating what type it could have been. We think it might have been a young puma and can't believe it might be a jaguar. The tracks were barely visible, so no clue there. I never thought I would have the good fortune to see a wild cat here. This is such a wonderful place. Good thing the dog and puppy were close to the house, as a neighbor lost a small dog to a cat a few years ago. WOW!

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
S
S
What part of the island was this sighting.

P
P
Ocelot or Margay more likely. Great sighting though.

OP Offline
We're leaning towards ocelot now too. Been consulting guide books, debating and smiling.
It was spotted on the true north end, Basil Jones.
WOW!

Coleen

I know I posted this before, but it's something we will never forget:

A true story I'd like to share with you all:

A "National Geographic Moment" which I will explain further. My wife and I spent 2 nights at Mystic River Resort. Had we known what we were in for, we would have stayed a week! The resort is isolated and overlooks the Macal River. We decided to go down to the river and float on tethered tubes. While we were down at the river one of the staff brought us down a chess of ice cold beer, a very welcome sight since it was a very sunny day and warm. Now, for that "National Geographic Moment"�..we were standing on the edge of the river which is not very deep that time of year and about 75 yards away we saw a large whitetail deer enter the river. He was moving rather slowly and then started to dart back and forth. In hot pursuit was a black Jaguar, a very rare sighting in the middle of the day or anytime, as many of the locals in their lifetime have not seen a black Jaguar. The huge cat took down his prey and they thrashed in the river for several minutes. Then complete silence. We waited for several moments but did not see or hear anything. We decided to go back up to the resort and share our experience with Nadege & Capt. Tom. They were amazed as we were. Shortly after, Nadege took my wife and I on a tour of the grounds. We walked along the bank above the river and one of the workers who was grooming the beach below called up and said a deer had floated up onto the bank. We could only assume the deer, that exceeded 200 pounds, was too much for the Jaguar to pull up out of the river. This was a trip that we will never ever forget. A must, if you are planning on a Belize vacation!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Thank you both for sharing your mind photos. Things we can see over and over just by closing our eyes. Mine was snorkeling with four Dolphins thinking I was getting great video when in fact the battery was dead.
Treasures for sure.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
"the true north end," Your gona confuse all these people in Tres Cocos.
Its very hard to tell the difference between a Margay and Ocelot but in the Yucatan (and that's where you are)its more likely to be an Ocelot.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OP Offline
What a great story Al! I hope you didn't spill with beer with the surprise guests and show.
I knew Elbert would like the reference to where I live. smile We both have a thing about references to the north end. I have learned to say I live on northern ambergris caye. Most folks still have no clue to how far the island goes north and that most of the development is truly south.
Yup we're agreeing it was an ocelot, but virtue of it's size and spots.

Coleen

Have seen an ocelot in "middle island" - Mata Grande too. Only one time but it was awesome.

We used to see them here in Buena Vista ( the southern part of north of the river) back in the 50's and 60's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.