FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The latest Tia Chocolate column is ready for reading!!!
That tiny little thing called ‘friendship’: Women friends. I write about them because they are what I know, and they are what I am: a woman. (I try and pretend to understand guys and their friends – and fail miserably. Sigh.) As I have written before, my mother raised me with the clear-cut idea that I was “born alone…will die alone.” This was told to me in a moment of absolute fright and hurt; amidst screaming and things flying at us by way of the man who had once promised to love, honor and cherish her. Her reasoning behind that hard statement came from a place of pain and hurt.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofers: More Confessions
A husband asks his beautiful wife of 20 years if she has ever been unfaithful to him. Her answer is surprisingly...well, you should just read on...

Letters to the Editor: San Pedro Serendipity
I am JoAnn Sullivan, of 8 Mile North @ Blue Reef. What follows is one account of San Pedro Serendipity. At some time in one’s life, we almost all experience the loss of a purse or luggage while vacationing. On February 7th, Bill and Pat Blacha and family arrived on the island for a three-week rental stay at my beach house Waba Laru Beya (Garifuna: Our House by the Sea). They were met by me in taxi; 6 people for 3 weeks, plenty of luggage. After 30 minutes on the island they had already become enthralled. Due to such an excess of luggage, some of us walked to the shops while the full taxi followed behind. We proceeded to add groceries and cases of drinks to an already jammed van. From taxi we transferred to private boat charter. Once in the beach house, Bill and Pat mentioned that after a thorough search, Bill’s carry-on bag did not make the trip, a swell start to their vacation. The Blacha’s were accepting, never made one negative comment about San Pedro. They continued to enjoy all of the Jewel’s treasures, Maya archaeological sites, cave tubing, fishing, snorkeling and kite board sailing.

Doctor Love: “Calling All Brave Guys…”
Doctor Love says: A smile is worth a lot when you want to attract someone for a date.

Misc Belizean Sources

Miguel Guerrero passes away
Miguel Guerrero (Mike of Mike and Lisa from Holiday Hotel) passed away last night. Went to their wedding 15 years ago and have known him since. He was a great guy and a good family man.

Rotary Cultural Night at Cahal Pech
Rotary's District 4250 Conference had their Cultural Night at Cahal Pech. DJ Caesar was there to provide the music and lights. They had the Mayan Harp, traditional dances, and wonderful food from SHJC's Tourism students. Great job, Rotary! "The Rotary District 4250 Conference's Culture Night at Cahal Pech was a special event. Joe Awe was the MC. There was delicious food from Sacred Heart Junior College's Food and Beverage students. It was a night of food, dance, and great music."

Caribbean Coolers "The Cyclist" Commercial.
Caribbean Coolers, made here in Cayo by Island Time Beverages, have a new commercial out, and it features Back to My Roots in it, along with Mr. Flowers riding around Cayo. Caribbean Coolers have 3 flavors, Rumango, CocoPina, and Rum Punch. Try them today. http://bestofcayo.com/back-to-my-roots/ "After a hard day of cycling, a sip of a Caribbean Cooler always takes you back to 'Island Time!'"

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Molding Today’s Learners into Tomorrow’s Leaders
The month of March is filled with fun and interesting activies for the Preschools of Belize. Little Stars Preschool in Caye Caulker is no exception. March is known as Child Stimulation Month, and this year’s theme is: Early Childhood Education – Molding Today’s Learners into Tomorrow’s Leaders. Little Stars opened Child Stimulation Month by having a special mass for the children at 9:00am on Sunday followed by a Bicycle parade around the island. The little kids were all excited to ride thier decorated bicycles in the parade. This month they will be doing some kite flying, green crafts, learning about different cultures, careers and sports. We wish them all a happy and safe Child Stimulation Month for they truly are our leaders of tomorrow.

The Belize Times

Facey Castro! – Minister ordered Port Authority to hire daughter, then son
This UDP Government has brought new meaning to the colloquial word “facey”. That’s just what Junior Minister ...

How to victimize a Magistrate!!!
The Judiciary is the most important arm of Government because it protects the citizenry from abuse by the other two power hungry branches. The other two branches like the Executive, which consist of the Police and BDF need to be kept in check. The most dangerous ...

UDP crony gets $148,000 for GOB’s unlawful land seizure
One well-known UDP supporter from Orange Walk Town laughed all the way to the bank when he was awarded $148,000 by the Minister of Natural Resources Gaspar Vega to quash any legal proceedings in a matter ...

PENINSULA CITIZENS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (PCSD)
Elizabeth Pridgeon PCSD is a not-for-profit corporation, run by a group of volunteers, who seek to protect and respect the natural environment along the entire length of the Placencia Peninsula. Established in ...

THINK ABOUT IT
HAVE THEY GONE TOO FAR? They were not naked. They had on some clothes. A little thong in their butts. Their bottom cheeks raw and exposed. Their fat sexy legs on full display. But it was the dancing. Slack, vulgar and unbelizean. Three Belizean women on stage at Konshens show at Riverside Tavern two ...

Shape Up or Ship Out!
By G. Michael Reid The UDP government is facing pressure from many sides and while Dean Barrow keeps ducking, dodging and dancing away from the issues, nobody is impressed with his personal version of the Harlem Shake. The teachers’ demands are far from being met, and while leaders of the unions ...

IN THE KINGDOM OF THE LANDLESS
It was my grandfather who would sternly chant, at every opportunity, that land is the only thing that God did not make two of. As colloquial, “bushy”, unpolished and rudimentary as this may sound, that truism is entrenched in the history of the world and its wars of ownership, imperialism ...

Champs crowned in Smart Jr. Table Tennis Tournament
Harim Ochaeta in the under-18 category, Fabio Carballo in the under-15 category and Bjourne Gabourel in the under-12 category, were crowned when the Belize Table Tennis Association and Smart Speednet held the first bi-annual primary schools ...

Holy Redeemer boys are district softball champs
The Holy Redeemer RC School boys will represent the Belize District at the softball championships in Belize City on Friday, March 8. The Holy Redeemer boys won the district ...

Biscayne girls win softball championships
The Biscayne Government School girls will represent the Belize District at the softball nationals held in Belize City on Friday, March 8. The Biscayne Government girls won the district championships ...

Fired BWS employees seek legal recourse
A handful of employees who were fired from the Government-owned Belize Water Services abruptly and under suspicious motives have sought legal defence. The BELIZE TIMES understands that this week, BWS received multiple letters from at least two attorneys indicating that legal challenge will commence to contest ...

AMAZING GRACE – You Think You Understand God?
A couple days ago I went to one of the outlets where I do music classes and noticed one of my little students smiling from ear to ear. He called out for his teacher with great anticipation. His dad clasped his hand firmly as they awaited the arrival of the ...

New Passport Fees & Rules take effect March 1st
In September 2012, Belize suffered an international black-eye when a global terror suspect was caught with a false Belizean passport, birth certificate and driver’s license. The case of Rafic Mohammad Labboun Allaboun who was busted in Mexico with the said documents has not been solved by Belize’s ...

Not Now, Not Ever to Guatemala!
By Rayford Young Gorge Mitchell won admiration from across the political divide in Northern Ireland for his work to boost the peace process. The former United States senator received almost unanimous praise for his skill and patience in chairing the Northern Ireland peace talks that led to the Good Friday Agreement. ...

The Decline of Businesses owned by Roots Belizeans
By Gilroy Usher, Sr. This week Miss Jenny and another roots Belizean, who have been selling Creole food at Ground Zero for over eight years were ordered to vacate the area at the request of the Belize Tourist Board. This is the former site of the General Post Office near ...

How to fix the economy!
Part III by Richard Harrison SPECIFIC ACTIONS RECOMMENDED AND EXPECTED RESULTS i. Lower GST from 12.5% to 10%, and charge across the board on all goods and services traded. GST is currently charged only on 35% of consumption, and total intake is around $270 million. This change will raise GST intake to ...

Of this and that…
Rose Garden There is a brothel at mile 8. It was burnt down. It is being rebuilt. It looks like a hurricane shelter. Everything is cement. The pace of the building is increasing. A bird told us that the old Williamson Industries Compound will be used as a Canadian Military base. If this ...

HEAD-U-cation Part 1
“The teacher is of course an artist, but being an artist does not mean that he or she can make the profile, can shape the students. What the educator does in teaching is to make it possible for the students to become themselves.” - Paulo ...

When street justice is preferred!
By Anthony Sylvestre Jr. The movie “Dirty Harry” starring Clint Eastwood (his latent prejudices notwithstanding) was a popular flick in the ‘70s, `80s and even the `90s. It gives insight into a police officer’s extra judicial way of dealing with ‘badmen’ and ‘gunmen’ in the City of San Francisco in the ...

A tribute to Justo Leon Castillo
By his son, Raul Castillo Our father Justo Castillo was born to parents, Justo Sabas and Marcelina Castillo, on April 11th, 1920; he was just one among sixteen children. At that time, none would have guessed how many lives he would ...

Citrus Growers Getting screwed
The last time Prime Minister Dean Barrow spoke to citrus growers a few years ago, he made a political commitment to them that he will not oversee the demise of the Citrus Growers’ Association (CGA). He did not commit to working in partnership with them in the best interest of ...

Hon. Dolores visits Belize Rural Central schools
Belize Rural Central Area Representative Hon. Dolores Balderamos Garcia is continuing her outreach in her constituency by visiting all the schools in the area to learn of their ...

20 yr. old redefines tourism marketing strategy
Every year, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) spends millions to improve its marketing and branding of Belize as a prime tourist destination. The challenge is to convince prospective tourists, located continents away, that Belize is the ...

Macebearer Caught AGAIN!
Public drinking is illegal – so declares an ad paid for by the Ministry of National Security and which airs on the UDP’s radio station several times every day. But the Barrow Administration’s appointed Macebearer for ...

PUP defends PLUS TV’s Patrick Andrews
The People’s United Party views the threat of legal action levied against Plus TV and Mr. Patrick Andrews, a private citizen, by the Minister of National Security, John Saldivar, as a threat against democracy and an attempt to stifle public discourse on an issue that ...

More Vega land grab exposed – Placencia fights to retain land given to greedy family
While grassroots Belizeans took to the streets on Tuesday to show their frustration with the land distribution system that seems to benefit the haves instead of the have-nots, more reports have surfaced of the “not normal” Vega family grabbing up land. This time, however, the land grab ...

PUP: Castro should resign or be removed
The People’s United Party (PUP) once more decries in the strongest terms the rank political interference and high-handedness displayed to the Ports Commissioner Major John Flowers as well as the continuing nepotism displayed by the UDP government. In December last year, the PUP issued a strong ...

Disappointed with Union Leaders
Dear Editor: I’m very surprised at management level of the unions. During that Friday meeting with the PM and other government officials, they couldn’t point out the flaw in the terms of what the government had in the agreement. It’s when the members of the unions met that they saw the ...

Resign Sedi!
Dear Editor, I’ve been saying months ago that Minister Elrington needs to go as foreign minister, and taken off this ICJ case. Man, this man outright comes out saying that Hondo to the Sarstoon Rivers are ok but when it comes to our Maritime he’s not sure if we will come ...

The Espat and Barrow/ Finnegan Arrangement
Dear Editor, I must remind your readers of the Tuesday February 12th meeting of the National Assembly in Belmopan, when the Master of Games Dean Oliver Barrow decided to up his game when he allowed the House jester Michael Finnegan to disgrace the Honorable house by praising the Espat Brothers and ...

Blogs

Introducing the Cats (Keiley and her Margays)
I have been a volunteer at Wildtracks for around 7 months and have worked with a wide range of animals, but more closely with the wild cats. Unfortunately, like most of the animals in rehabilitation care at Wildtracks, people think they all make great pets, but I have the scars to prove that these incredible animals do not make good pets and do not belong anywhere but free in the wild. My aim is to help them return safely to their beautiful natural environment where they can hopefully enjoy the rest of their lives and have families of their own, the way they are meant to live. We have 3 wild cats here, all margays. The oldest is Diego. He is around 8 – 9 months. He was confiscated at a road checkpoint by police officials, from people who were trying to pass him off as a domestic cat. He has been with us from an estimated age of 5 weeks, and has recently been moved to a spacious new cage specifically designed to imitate his natural environment.

A chilly but sunny Sunday on da island
We woke up this morning to the coolest temperature recorded on our digital thermometer since moving to Ambergris Caye -- 62F. Yes, that's sixty-two. COLD by island standards! The humidity was desert-like for here (which I love), and the wind was blowing fairly hard out of the northwest. Dressing quickly as I shivered, I got Paisley out for her morning ablutions, and felt just how brisk it was out there. This would be a much cooler than usual Sunday morning bike ride! Once we'd had a snack (and a quick cup of coffee for me), we saddled up and headed north on the beach and over to Grand Belizean Estates on our bikes. It was a bit chilly starting out, and the wind was at our noses as we headed west on the road towards the lagoon side of the island. It was a slow slog as we fought the fresh breeze, but once we'd hit the most westerly point of the road and made the u-turn, we were flying! Such fun that is, to be pushed along by the wind. We continued riding east, then southward, right past our condo and on into town as we had breakfast at Estel's by the Sea on the brain. We hadn't been there in a long, long time, and were hoping that with high tourist season in full swing, the slight chill in the air would keep at least a few folks away so we'd be able to snag a table on the beach, and fortunately, we were rewarded with a nice one.

Taking Liberties
Spent the early part of the morning assembling the stuff -clothes,toiletries, chargers,notepad, etc for the trip to Dallas that we are making. Not taking a lot with me so didn’t take too long to pull it together. With the packing virtually finished – just a few items to put in to the case before we leave – we (if I haven’t mentioned it before, Rose is an Arsenal fan too) settled down to watch the Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) game versus Arsenal. Regret to say that Arsenal weren’t really in it and lost two goals to one. It’s going to a mammoth challenge for us now to achieve forth place and qualify for next season’s Champions League. In a somewhat dejected mood we needed a pick-me-up so decided to go have a look at the finished concrete pour for the Second Floor of our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize and got there around 3 pm. With nobody else on the site it was very quick and easy to access the scaffolding and climb up to the top floor where the concrete was curing nicely.

International Sources

New World kicks off latest Belize drilling
New World Oil and Gas (NEW) has commenced drilling at the Rio Bravo #1 well at the West Gallon Jug Crest Prospect at its Blue Creek Project in north-west Belize. On the completion of this third well, the AIM-listed firm will have earned into a 100% working interest in its Blue Creek Project, chief executive William Kelleher said. The prospect is estimated to hold probable reserves of 113 million barrels of oil a year, as well as probable reserves valued at $2.6 billion (£1.7 billion) on a 100% working interest basis. Drilling results will be released once a total depth of 8,800 feet has been reached. This is expected by 1 May. Additionally, analysis of technical data recorded at the recently drilled Blue Creek #2 and #2A ST wells on the B Crest, located approximately 35 kilometres from West Gallon Jug Crest, confirmed an active hydrocarbon system exists on the Blue Creek and West Gallon Jug acreage. "Our first two wells in Belize confirmed the presence of several main elements which make up a working hydrocarbon system: source, migration and seal," Kelleher commented. "As a result, we are tremendously excited by the commencement of drilling at our West Gallon Jug prospect."

New World Oil & Gas announce West Gallon Jug well commences drilling, Belize
New World Oil and Gas Plc, an oil and gas exploration and development company focused on Belize and Denmark, is pleased to announce that the Rio Bravo #1 well targeting the West Gallon Jug Crest prospect commenced drilling on 1 March 2013, at its Blue Creek Project ('Blue Creek' or 'the Project') in Northwest Belize. The Company's Competent Person, RPS Energy, estimates West Gallon Jug Crest to hold a P50 un-risked prospective resource of 113 million barrels of oil ('MMbo') (Y1 and Y2 intervals) and a P50 un-risked Net Present Value ('NPV10') of US$2.6 billion on a 100% working interest basis. The ThermaSource International LLC ('ThermaSource'), rig #104 will drill to a total depth ('TD') of 8,800ft, targeting the Upper Jurassic Margaret Creek Formation. Drilling results will be released once TD has been reached, which is expected to be by 1 May 2013. Analysis of the technical data recorded at the Blue Creek #2 and #2A ST wells that were recently drilled at the B Crest prospect has confirmed an active hydrocarbon system exists on New World's Blue Creek and West Gallon Jug acreage. The West Gallon Jug Crest prospect is located approximately 35 km SSW from the B Crest Prospect and is a four way structural closure that is not fault dependent, as was the case at B Crest.

Memorial held for Calgarian who died in Belize
Family of a Calgary father who reportedly died of head injuries while in Belize police custody say they’ve hired a lawyer and are pushing ahead with legal action against the authorities. It’s been more than a month since police reported finding Jeffrey Furgala unconscious inside a jail cell amid a vacation in the Central American tourist hub. On Sunday, friends and family gathered shoulder-to-shoulder inside a Shinto shrine to remember the 35-year-old martial artist. Speaking after the memorial, Furgala’s mother expressed concerns over the investigation, noting there are “discrepancies” in the police report obtained by the family. In Fern Tiberio’s account of events, her son went into town one night in January to pick up his phone from a bar. He was attacked shortly after and subsequently suffered “stroke-like symptoms,” Tiberio said, which made him unable to tell police where he was staying. According to police, Furgala was detained overnight in the San Ignacio Police Station for being intoxicated in public. “He was so misunderstood,” Tiberio said. “He needed immediate medical attention.” The next morning, officials found him lying unconscious in a holding cell, with blood in his nose. He was transported to hospital but pronounced dead on Jan. 29. Police said Furgala’s fellow detainees heard a loud crash that sounded like someone fell about 1 a.m., followed by loud snoring sounds coming from his cell.

Dunkirk-Fredonia AAUW hears presentation on Belize journey
The February meeting of the Dunkirk-Fredonia Branch of the American Association of University Women was held at the SUNY Fredonia Alumni House. The speaker, SUNY Fredonia Professor Dr. Janeil Rey, brought four students, Kelli Barnes, Brooke Shutrum, Alissa Cole and Jackie Ellmauer, to report on their J-Term experiences as participants in SUNY Fredonia's Belize Service Learning Project. As participants, the 29 SUNY students who accompanied Rey worked in classrooms in Belize City. In a country where most of the teaching is done by rote memorization, the Fredonia students were able to educate the Belize teachers (most of whom have associate's degrees) in the variety of ways limited resources can be used to develop more creative teaching styles. At the same time, the Fredonia students learned a great deal from the Belizean teachers whom they found hard working, warm, caring, and concerned for their students' learning and lives.

New World drills again in Belize
Belize-focused New World Oil & Gas (LON:NEW) has started drilling its second well in the country, the Rio Bravo #1. The well is targeting the West Gallon Jug Crest prospect at the Blue Creek project in the north west of the country which is estimated to hold a prospective resource of 113 million barrels of oil with a net present value of US$2.6bn (£1.7bn) according to a competent person's report. The report has been conducted on a 100 per cent working interest basis. The rig that is now in place at the well will drill to a target depth of 8,800 feet and is expected to reach this by the start of May. While an active hydrocarbon system has been identified at the project, the last well to be drilled, Blue Creek #2 on the Blue Creek prospect failed to find sufficient reserves to complete. The new prospect is located 35 kilometres from the last and is said not to be fault dependent as was the case before.