Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#459839 - 03/09/13 07:15 PM Living costs
carlyt Offline
I vacationed in Ambergris Caye a few years ago and began to think about retiring there. I hear that the costs are substantially higher than in other parts of Belize. Is this the case? I noticed that Belize was selected as a top retirement location by several organizations the latest that I found this morning is at retirementandgoodliving.com/best-retirement-locations-abroad-2013/

#459840 - 03/09/13 07:41 PM Re: Living costs [Re: carlyt]
robvee Offline
Ive just retired here, and although costs are higher here you dont need a car and all the costs associated with running one. You can get by pretty well on $2k/month it really depends on how much you want to pay for accomodation. If you buy local produce and drinks this saves , buying imported anything costs much more , such as wine ive seen as much as a 6 fold difference in wine prices. Also depends on if you buy or rent a home. Property prices are high here on the Island

#459847 - 03/09/13 09:48 PM Re: Living costs [Re: carlyt]
ScubaLdy Offline
Carl - Yes - goods cost more here as we are an island - but it is worth it!
Your life-style will dictate your budget. Eating out and drinking at bars adds up. However some people consider that their social life.
Produce is more expensive here than on the mainland but is very natural and healthy. This also equates to spoils faster. It does't pay to 'stock-up.' If you live the European way - buy today's food today - you will not waste so much and have better quality.
Lots of foods are very seasonal so - like mangos - pig out when they are available. I especially like the carrots here. We call them UGLY CARROTS as they are not perfectly shaped and all one color. But OMG - when you peel and cook them and add a dash of salt and butter you will think this is desert.
It talkes 20 minutes to cook rice and the carrots cook in exactly the same amount of time.
Fresh fish is just that - FRESH - while all the chickens are frozen. Go figure.
Come on down and live the good life.

#459865 - 03/10/13 12:32 PM Re: Living costs [Re: carlyt]
Dane Offline
In Maui the expression fresh fish means fish that doesn't stink yet.
In the Cayes you can get Fresh Fish.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SFJeff), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.