Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#459905 - 03/10/13 07:12 PM Loose Dog Attack
shiwa Offline
It happened yesterday while peacefully minding my own business riding down the street on my bike. I have rode down this street numerous times before. There are always loose dogs, but for some strange reason (perhaps the lock bouncing in my basket) seemed to be at the wrong time/place, because these dogs came out of nowhere and bit my leg. Scared the crap out of me, never thinking I would be bitten.
Got me thinking twice about getting mace/pepper spray. I know captain sharks sells it. So now, I ask, what do others do? I see young children in this neighborhood all day and night.
I am a dog lover, yet I don't want to be attacked again...

#459908 - 03/10/13 08:03 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
SnoopysMom Offline
So sorry to hear! Where on the Island did this happen?

I have had issues over the past 5 years with the dogs around the Living Word church - not only on my bike, but golf cart attacks (scary!). I usually call Saga and they investigate -then the owner locks them up - at least for a while frown

#459925 - 03/11/13 02:04 AM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
ScubaLdy Offline
There have been a number of incidents just south of the bridge - next door to where the guy repairs bikes.

#459970 - 03/11/13 09:51 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: ScubaLdy]
SnoopysMom Offline
And an ongoing issue at Jolly Roger's Bar....

#460119 - 03/13/13 06:08 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: SnoopysMom]
BeBelize Offline
I feel lucky -- have ridden by Jolly Roger's and south of the bridge many, many times on my bike and have never had a problem. The one German Shepherd right before the bridge barks viciously at times but is behind a high fence, thankfully. The loose dogs have never bothered us. So sorry this happened to you!

#460122 - 03/13/13 06:26 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: BeBelize]
robvee Offline
Thats Dingo we live next door to him hes quite docile , just likes barking at passers bye and scaring the s..t out of them

#460123 - 03/13/13 06:48 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
ScubaLdy Offline
Over the years of living on the beach and on the road I have observed a few things.
1. Dogs are dogs and feel that they need to do their job; which is protecting their people and property.
2. Sometimes it is hard to teach a dog that his beach is not his property.
3. If a dog has been abused by someone then anyone who resembles (or smells like) that person is a threat. Dogs can smell someone way before we can see them. There is one guy who did a lot of interior construction at Bermuda Palms - my dog knows he is coming on his golf cart before he even makes the corner to the south. Something had to have happened and this dog does not forget nor forgive.
4. Some dogs are naturally drug sniffers - don't be going around with ganja or the smell of ganja in your pockets.
5. People who are racing (on foot or machine) through an area are suspect. Slow down -
I KNOW - some of you can't wait to post what a terrible dog owner I am - we all get that. HOWEVER, I feel perfectly safe and my dogs have never bitten anyone. However my drug sniffer has pulled a few peoples pants down.
Some people may have $#!+ their pants - especially when Skippy next door suddenly stands up - but hey - they are just dogs doing their jobs.
If you can't change the behavior of dogs that you regularly pass by perhaps you can change your behavior??? Have you tried stopping and introducing yourself? I know - crazy idea.

#460125 - 03/13/13 07:11 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
iluvbelize Offline
Keep your beloved Dogs on your property. They will be safer from violence by people who don't want to be chased, bitten and threatened. Aren't there laws on the books that require dogs to be kept on one's property? Or at least under the direct supervision and control of the owner?

#460141 - 03/13/13 09:46 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
Chica Blanca Offline
There are not bad dogs, but bad owners.
I own dogs, they walk on a leash off our property, come to heal when ever strangers approach us on the beach and never charge or approach walkers, bikes or bad people that smell. It is our responsibility as owners to lessen the impact of our decision to own animals for the sake of our neighbors and community. I would not be amused if any strange dog approached me to smell the contents of my pockets. I would wonder why the dog was not contained it it's yard. I would be upset that the owner was setting a bad example and others would judge me, as a dog owner, by these actions. I would be worried for the dogs getting blamed for the lack of training and being subject to harm because of this. Please help be part of the solution. Spay/Neuter your pet. Train your dog. Keep them contained in your yard. Control their barking. When in public keep your dog on a leash, don't allow them to approach strangers and scoop your poop.

It is not a dog's job to guard the beach, but to protect it's owner and property. On it's property. Dogs can be trained not to run on the beach or sniff strangers pockets uninvited. If you have failed and need help call Pampered Paws, they can help you train your dogs. If still training does not work, contain the dog in your yard by humane long rope or fence. It is the law. Here is a summary of Belize Dog Laws Chap 153

Prohibition on allowing dogs to be at large-
-Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, no owner of a dog shall permit that dog to be at large in any street or place of public resort in any town and any person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and is, on summary conviction, liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars $100BZ.
Power to seize dogs in certain cases.-
-That dog may be seized by any police officer or dog catcher and the owner of the dog shall in cases (a), (b) and (c) be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty-five dollars: $25 BZ. Provided that a person shall not be convicted under paragraph (a) if he proves that no licence is required in respect of the dog.
- Whenever a dog is seen in a town, on a highway or in a place of public resort in any of the following cases-
- (a)not having a collar with a licensing badge for the current year attached thereto; or
- (b)Dogs appearing to be a stray or ownerless dog; or
- (c)being a bitch in heat and being neither led nor carried; or
- (d)suffering from any contagious disease and not being carried; or
- (e)suffering from any disease or injury which causes pain to the dog and being neither led nor carried,
Power of magistrate to fine or order destruction of dogs.
- Whenever it appears to a magistrate on complaint being made to him under the Summary Jurisdiction Acts, that a dog is vicious or savage, whether to animals or human beings, or likely to spread any disease or, by reason of its habit of persistent barking or for any other reason, is a nuisance, the magistrate may order the owner of the dog to keep it under proper control or in such a manner that it shall not be a nuisance, or may order the owner to destroy the dog.
- Every person who fails to comply with such order shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten dollars $10BZ for each day or part of a day during which the order has not been complied with.

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.

#460148 - 03/13/13 11:24 PM Re: Loose Dog Attack [Re: shiwa]
robvee Offline
Hi Coleen, totally agree with you but unforetuneately the people that mainly need telling dont read this forum or own a computor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.