C
C2C
C2C
C
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

M
M
Originally Posted by artisan
The roof of this cave is 24" below my property.

Do you want help digging a dive hole to the cave? :-)

Don't be silly , you could sink the whole Island!:-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
A
A
Actually, the property came with 2 holes already, wells.
Lots of people over the cave had no option before municipal water came in recently.
The top 2 feet or so of the cave water is fresh and relatively clear water (rain catch?).
In the dry season, when it lowers, the water from below has a terrible odor.
There are hotels that run on cave water.

M
M
Originally Posted by artisan
the water from below has a terrible odor.

That is an understatement Dennis

A
A
So I guess you've been treated to a CC cave dry season shower, eh Mike?

A
A
I was entertaining the idea of a "trap door", lights, ropes, partnered with a local dive service.
I think the major hurdle would be the BTB and local sharks?

M
M
yes...a month worth of them. No worry though you were clean and the smell went away as soon as you were dry.

A
A
BTW, never approached any dive services.
If any of you dive service guys are interested in exploring "exploring cave business", let me know.
Obviously you don't necessarily need me, you all have boats.
But storage of equipment on dry land with easy access is a plus I would think?
No need to anchor out there behind property, start trips from trap door ladder, with access to electric for permanent underwater lights?
Just a thought, perhaps I'm dreaming.

Last edited by artisan; 12/17/12 10:55 AM.
D
D
I first discussed this idea with Paul in the early 80s, then later with Lane who was the last guy exploring the cave after the tourist died in there. He searched for the shallowest spot by holding his depth gauge close to the roof of the cave in a spot where he could hear boats going through the Split.
The nearest to the surface was about 35 ft. It was right behind the split about twenty feet offshore.
OJ was running the Split at that time and didn't like the idea because he thought the dug entrance might not be stable, and digging on land would be more than 35 ft.
Not long ago we felt a tremor and that area appeared to collapse under the seafloor.
We measured the depth in the Split after that and it was 22 ft on one day and about 26 ft on another. That would put it in the cave if it really was 24 ft under your place, artisan.
In other places the cave is much farther underground.
Are you sure that hotel wells go down 40 to 70 ft and get water from the cave? Your well looked to be just over the guys head when he dug it and smelled really bad.
That odor is caused by the layers of mangrove leaves and roots underground. Our clean wells on CC are dug in areas with little dead vegetation but in dry season water must migrate from surrounding sand full of it, causing an odor of hydrogen sulfide gas. Since it is a gas it blows away after a shower.
I paid an outfit to research the water in the wells. They said that CC sits on a lake of fresh water from rain.
They called it a lense. It contracts in dry season so wells near the beach move out of the lense and become salty until it rains again. After rainy season the lense becomes deep enough to allow some fresh water to float on top of the salt water in the cave before it dissipates.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day