Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#460690 - 03/21/13 03:59 PM Belize Infrastructure Ltd rivals Ministry of Works
Marty Online   happy
In the budget presentation in March, the Prime Minister announced the establishment of a company to carry out a package of infrastructural projects to the tune of sixty million dollars. The company is the Belize Infrastructure Limited which was set up on February, twenty-seventh and its place of business is the Ministry of Works. News Five has obtained a copy of corporate formation documents of the Belize Infrastructure Limited. Firstly, it is state owned company. Its main objectives are to undertake the design, construction and management of capital projects in Belize with particular emphasis on sporting and multipurpose facilities but it is not limited to that. The company will also consult with stakeholders on the uses of functions of sporting and multipurpose public facilities and will partner with the private sector in carrying out these functions. Secondly, the Chair is Minister Rene Montero and co-chair is Minister of State Herman Longsworth who also serves as directors. The other directors are Joseph Waight, Financial Secretary, Audrey Wallace, C.E.O., Lennox Bradley, Chief Engineer, Allan Sharp, National Sports Council Chairman and Paul Thompson, President of the Belize Basketball Federation. According to the documents, the directors will also be paid remuneration and travelling and hotel expenses to attend board meetings. There is also the following. Any director who resides abroad for any purpose of the company shall receive extra remuneration by way of salary or percentage of profits. From its stated objectives, the Belize Infrastructure will also be lending and investing monies and seemingly making profits which can be shared with directors. This is certainly a new type of state company.

Channel 5

#460691 - 03/21/13 04:09 PM Re: Belize Infrastructure Ltd rivals Ministry of Works [Re: Marty]
robvee Offline
How can this be legal

#460731 - 03/22/13 08:50 AM Re: Belize Infrastructure Ltd rivals Ministry of Works [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Fonseca Says Special Purpose Vehicle Is a "Hustle Vehicle"

The Leader of the Opposition also had some choice words about Belize Infrastructure Limited, the so-called Special Purpose Vehicle that the Government has set up to execute a 60 million dollar sports infrastructure project- including a new Civic Center.

It is to be chaired by the Minister of Works Rene Montero, with Minister of State in the Ministry of Sports Herman Longsworth as his co-chair. The Leader of the opposition called it a hustling vehicle:

Hon. Francis Fonseca - Leader of the Opposition
"I expect this to be a UDP hustle vehicle that will seek to avoid the rules and regulations of Government. Why, Mr. Speaker - and the social and economic partners we've met with asked these questions as well - why is this private company necessary to carry out the work of Government? Mr. Speaker, we have every reason to be very skeptical and cynical about the objectives of this company. As I said, for the UDP it's always about the show, the cutting of the ribbon, the shovel. The Member for Caribbean Shores, he likes to shovel."

Hon. John Saldivar - Area Representative, Belmopan
"What you are seeing this new vehicle of investment in sports infrastructure that the Prime Minister and this Government is putting - what you are seeing, as soon as you see it, Mr. Speaker, as soon as they see it - sorry for referring to him directly - they see dollar signs. That's what they see, dollar signs. I will remind, as my good friend, the Member from Albert is reminding me, 5 million dollars nearly they gave to the contractor for Marion Jones before 1 shovel - you were talking about shovels just now - before one shovel was turned, so that when we came into power in 2009, we had to start on the Marion Jones from a deficit of millions."

Government has not fully explained how it will raise the 60 million dollars for B-I-L, and the Mexican government may still be on the hook for at least a portion of it...

Channel 7

Barrow’s BIL; $60 Million pumped into state owned private company?

Francis Fonseca

BIL is the acronym for the Belize Infrastructure Company Limited which is a recently established state owned company operating from the Ministry of Works. The company will carry out sixty million dollars of infrastructural projects; work that should be carried out by the Ministry of Works. The articles of association show that senior officials are shareholders and directors on the BIL board. Leader of the Opposition, Francis Fonseca, sounded alarm bells about BIL at today’s budget debate.

Francis Fonseca, Leader of the Opposition 

“This brings me Mister Speaker back to BIL, Belize Infrastructure Company Limited, which the honorable member for Queen Square described in his budget presentation as a newly formed, newly registered, wholly government of Belize owned private company; the special purpose vehicle that will create jobs, stimulate demand, purchase private sector material and supplies and generally raise that tide that will float all Belizean boats. Now as I said earlier Mr. Speaker, it is fairly easy to dismiss this company as more hot air; consistent with five years of empty rhetoric. But I think to do so would be a mistake. We should all, all Belizeans, take note of BIL. I want to sound the alarm bells. I want to be the first to sound the alarm bells. I expect this to be a U.D.P. hustle vehicle that will seek to avoid the rules and regulations of government. Why Mister Speaker and the Social and Economic Partners we met with ask this question as well. Why is this private company necessary to carry out the work of government? Will this company be competing with the private sector? Who will it be purchasing materials and supplies from? Who will manage this company? Will the Contractor General and the Auditor General have oversight of this company? Mister Speaker these are important questions. Will it be subject to the finance and audit reform act? Mister Speaker, we must see the Belize Infrastructure Company Limited for what it is the latest in a long line of U.D.P. political gimmicks. And you know Mr. Speaker I took a look at the articles of association and memorandum of association of the company and you know the chairman of this company, I don’t know if he is still the Minister of Works or now he is just the chairman of Belize Infrastructure Company Limited. But he is the chairman of the board of directors, Honorable Rene Montero, director and chairman. Will you be running the Minister of Works or will you pay responsible for this company? Why do we need a private company for works that the Ministry of Works should be able to and can carry out? And they are injecting sixty million dollars, as we understand it, into this private company chaired by the Minister of Works. The co-chair is the honorable Herman Longsworth, the member for Albert; he’s the co chair.”

The company will also be lending and investing monies and seemingly making profits which can be shared with directors most of whom are already in the employ of the government.

Channel 5

#461221 - 03/29/13 09:36 AM Re: Belize Infrastructure Ltd rivals Ministry of Works [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Senator Mark Lizarraga concerned about BIL, government’s private company

Mark Lizarraga

Belize Infrastructure Limited is government’s special purpose vehicle and everybody’s talking about it…except government, that is. While the details are few, we do know that BIL will be in charge of sixty million dollars which will be used for projects including the Belize City Center. We also know that the Chairman and Director of this public/private hybrid is the Minister of Works Rene Montero, and his co-chair is Minister with responsibility for sports Herman Longsworth. And we do know that there are special provisions which allow for the directors of BIL to receive unspecified remuneration, salaries, allowances and other perks. All in all it’s a worrisome proposition and the unions, Opposition and Chamber of Commerce have all expressed grave concern with BIL…its formation and its real purpose. Today Senator Mark Lizarraga, who represents the private sector in the Senate, weighed in on BIL.

Mark Lizarraga, Senator, Private Sector

“Why do we need a vehicle to do what the private sector can do? I understand them to say that the private sector will be doing the jobs; that they will be procuring services from the private sector. Government has been doing this for years—projects, etc. So why do we need now. I don’t think we’ve heard an explanation that we really buy; I don’t think anyone is really understanding. Interestingly enough, I did hear Senator Shoman last night on a news clip saying that it is her understanding that this pressure may have come from an international financial institution. Well it would be interesting to find out why they would be proposing such a vehicle. We are very cautious about this type of structure because we think that any monies that government spends on behalf of the people; and especially monies that are going to be repaid from taxpayers; that these monies should be open to full public scrutiny. And I am not sure if that would be possible in this vehicle.”

Lizarraga, in his capacity as senatorial representative of the private sector, spoke on other topics, including the budget, the public service and corruption. We’ll have those comments when we come back from the Easter break.

Channel 5

#461228 - 03/29/13 09:49 AM Re: Belize Infrastructure Ltd rivals Ministry of Works [Re: Marty]
Nobody You Know Offline
The fastest way to turn $60M worth of public projects into $30M...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.