FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Red Cross conducts training in San Pedro
The Belize Red Cross San Pedro Branch conducted a Basic First Aid training exercise with the intent of putting safety first. The training took place on Tuesday March 19th at Fido’s Courtyard and had the participation of staff from several businesses, including restaurants and resorts. Upon the completion of the course, each participant was given a certificate of completion in basic first aid. Amongst the group that received certification in Basic First Aid were staff members of Victoria House, South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch Group, Blue Tang Inn, Banana Beach Resort, Coco Loco’s, Pedro’s Hotel, Cowboy’s Pool Bar and Grand Caribe. In addition, the San Pedro Branch of The Belize Red Cross announced that Elvis Kitchen joined the Phoenix Resort in pledging to ensure that all their staff members are fully trained through the Medical Safety Program.

Eric Donis remains positive after participating in the Central American games
San Pedro’s Eric Donis is back in Belize after participating at the Central American Games earlier this month. The 17 year old student of San Pedro High School made his first international regional participation in Costa Rica where he became Belize’s first ever triathlete to participate in the Central American Field. The highly motivated athlete stopped by The San Pedro Sun office to tell us more about the experience he gained and his happiness at completing the competition. “To me it was an eye opener. I was the ‘baby’ (17 years) in the whole group participating. Everyone was 21 years and above and I was the only Belizean to participate in triathlon,” said Donis. According to the young athlete, the rules in Belize as it relates to triathlon are not as demanding as in the Central American Games. “In triathlon it’s not only racing because you have a lot of rules. Throughout the race there are a lot of rules and so we cannot just be jumping from one stage to the next.” Donis explained that in one instance he almost got disqualified because the zipper of the jersey was to the front and the rules specified that it should be placed at the back.

Teacher and students charged in brutal death of Black Howler Monkey
On March 5th, news surged of a brutal act against a defenseless Black Howler Monkey by students of an Orange Walk District High School. The students accused of capturing and beating the monkey are alumni from The Belize High School of Agriculture in the San Lazaro Village. Students claimed that their professor had instructed them to kill the animal since it had urinated on him while he was taking a nap in the bushes. The students allegedly stoned the animal, causing severe internal damage and dragged it back to the school’s entrance to present it as a trophy to their peers. OHowler Monkey Killedn March 6th, the Howler Monkey was rescued by the Forest Department after a concerned individual contacted them. The Howler Monkey was transported to a veterinary clinic at Belize City where the animal’s condition was stabilized. The Howler Monkey was later transported to Wild Tracks Rehabilitation Center for Manatees and Primates in the Corozal District to receive further treatment. Upon being examined, it was noticed that the animal had no broken bones but had suffered severe head trauma, as well,one of its eyes had been damaged beyond repair. The animal experienced several seizures while in the care of Wild Tracks and although much effort was put into nourishing the monkey back to health, it succumbed to its injuries two days later on March 8th.

130 New Officers Join the Ranks of the Belize Police Force
Graduation Ceremonies were held Tuesday, March 19, 2013 for 130 new officers of the Belize Police Force who make up Recruit Squad #88. New Belize Police Officers-3During the Ceremonies, awards were given out in various categories: Baton of Honor went to RPC 1528 Andy Rodriguez; Written Exam, First Place went to RPC 1450 Rodrigo Castillo and Second Place to RPC 1528 Andy Rodriguez; the award for Most Consistent Recruit went also to RPC 1528 Andy Rodriguez; the Best Physical Condition Award was taken by RPC 1480 Daniel Jimenez; the 1st Shooting Qualification Award went to RPC 1467 David Gongora; the Commandant’s Prize was received by WRPC 1544 Lourdes Torres and the 1st in First Aid Award went to RPC 1579 Zair Pott. Additionally, a number of retired Police Officers received awards of recognition. They are: Mr. Paul Wade, former Assistant Commissioner; Justo Augustine, former Superintendent; Claudio Mai, former Acting Assistant Superintendent; James Moriera, former Acting Assistant Superintendent; Moses Aranda, former Inspector; Hubert Augustine, former Sergeant; Michael Ciego, former Corporal; and Michael Muslar, former Police Constable.

Misc Belizean Sources

Corozal Community College Wins Band Fest
The Corozal Community College won the Belize Band Fest today in Belmopan. Belize Natural Energy was one of the sponsors of the event, and they were there to get some pictures of the various bands. Congratulations to all participants on a job well done!

BWRC Documentary Stills
Daniel Velazquez is making a documentary about the Belize Wildlife Referral Clinic. He's been on hand to make most of their short videos dealing with specific wildlife cases. He upload some of the still shots from working on the documentary. The students obviously had a great time while doing their study abroad here in Cayo. "Belize Wildlife and referal clinic, hosted its first international wildlife medicine course, this is a part of its sustanable componant of the clinic, in between shooting video i got some stills, this is part of a 30 minute documentary about the careof wildlife and implementation of this center, film is in post production."

Rotary Provides Eden New Facilities
Feelgood news of the day. Rotary handed over the new bathroom facilities at Eden SDA Primary. Earlier this week, they inaugurated the new facilities at St. Adrews. Thanks, Rotary, for playing such an important role and making a huge difference in Cayo, and the world. "The goal of these two projects is not only to provide the kids with decent bathrooms. In each school the whole measure is embedded in the health education curriculum that teaches personal hygiene among others. The influence of the new bathrooms on absenteeism as a result of diarrheal diseases is being monitored as a part of the project.The two building projects with a joint budget of nearly $110,000 serve almost 900 kids. They follow similar projects of the Rotary Club of San Ignacio in Blackman Eddy Primary School, Sacred Heart College, Bishop Martin, Santa Familia and Sacred Heart Primary Schools."

Channel 7

VIDEO: Trinidad & Tobago vs. Belize - Football (March 23, 2013) from Great Belize Productions Ltd. on Vimeo.
Final Score 0-0

LOVE FM

Day 2 of Budget Debate Concludes In Nation's Capital
Day two of the 2013-2014 budget debate featured a few uncommon events. The visitors’ gallery at the National Assembly was filled today with students from Sacred Heart Primary School in Dangriga. It was at the invitation of the Speaker of the House, Michael Peyrefitte,...

Earth Hour Observed Worldwide
Earth Hour is observed worldwide since 2008 after several cities and countries across the globe followed in the footsteps of over two million residents of Sydney who turned off all non-essential lights in 2007. The event is organized globally by the World Wide Fund for Nature, WWF, and...

Weekend Activities Scheduled In Celebration of Women's Month
As women’s month continues to be observed around the country, the weekend will be filled with activities linked to the occasion. Acting Director of the Women’s Department gives us the highlights of this weekend for the Belize District beginning with a Women’s So...

Forensic Ballistics Training Held At Price Barracks
Earlier this week, we reported on forensic technicians, forensic scientists and other specialized personnel embarking on a four day training course on Forensic Ballistics. Today the training closed off with graduations for over twenty participants for the program which included l...

Six Persons Acquitted On Firearm Charges
Six persons charged with firearm and ammunition offences and handling stolen goods were acquitted of the charges today. They are 26 year old Lionel Sampson, 27 year old Jane Ovado, 18 year old Lodgrick Ovado, 45 year old Evelyn Ovado, 19 old Lanickle Ovado and 52 year old Cyril Ovado. ...

West Street Resident Sentenced On Ammunition Charges
Twenty-three year old Nelson Martinez, a resident of West Street, who was charged with firearm and ammunition offences, was found guilty of both charges today. Magistrate Hettie Mae Stuart sentenced him to five years for each offence with the stipulation that the sentences should run c...

Blogs

Belmopan Band Fest 2013 Parade Pictures and The Winners
The parade through Belmopan to kick off Band Fest 2013 is still going on. It started at 8:30am and should continue for a few hours…2 miles all the way down to the football stadium. I thought I’d take a quick time-out from the heat…MAN IT IS HOT IN BELMOPAN TODAY…and share a few pictures before I head down to the competition. San Pedro’s own Isla Bonita Marching Band led the parade. Not all happy faces…word on the street is that there was very little sleep last night! Love the uniforms! The next group. Holy Redeemer from Belize City. My vote for the best dancers…Dangriga.

World Water Day 2013
Over twenty years ago the United Nations recognized March 22 as the first World Water Day. This year’s theme is water cooperation. As the following photographs show, the need for cooperation on this precious resource is great, as some enjoy plenty while others suffer drought. Collected here are images of water and its many uses as we approach the annual World Water Day.

Belize Football Team Official Jersey [PHOTO]
These are the official jerseys for the Belize National Football Team.

International Sources

Come with Made in His Image to Belize!
In 2012, I was invited to travel to Belize to speak to the children there. The opportunity truly spoke to my heart, as many of the children living in the villages of Belize are abused before turning 8 years old and more than 80% of the girls are sexually assaulted. These children grow up with a twisted view of their sexuality, God’s love, lack of self-esteem, distrust, and a host of other issues associated with abuse. It took less than a second for me to agree to travel there and speak to these children. The village of Belize did everything they could to fundraise for my plane ticket and I wanted to reach out to you so you could help me bring a male chastity speaker with me. Since so many of these children are abused I think it’s exceedingly important for a male speaker to address the boys in Belize. My friend Mike, who lives in Nashville use to be a chastity speaker with Generation Life and I have asked him to come along. Mike is also a professional guitar player, so I thought the children would enjoy his talent as well, as I’m sure the music would be a treat for them.

VIDEO: Belize Cave Tubing
Our friend Dalene Heck of Hecktic Travels shares her Cave Tubing experience in Belize with us...